When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superdomes to be re-released by Rolex?

freddy333

"Seems wrong to wear a divers watch that has such great pedigree but can't even be able to take a quick dip in the pool!"

Yeah, times have changed. I was around when a new 5513 was a little over $300, and a 1680 or 1665 not much more. Passed on a new Milgauss for $260 at an AD when I bought something else for the same price. The Mg was a dud back then.

Now an original dial for the 1665 might be $5k. No way on This Green Earth would I get one of these things wet now.

Imho that is why they make Citizen, Seiko, Casio, Timex, etc.

" Problem is, if it floods, some parts are hard to get, others are impossible to get."

I took a closer look a while back at my very few Frankensteins and all are apart now except for a 1570/75 with a genuine 1680 dial that I will leave in a DW case because I do not have a better case to put it in. All genuine rolex movements will be put in genuine cases or sold for parts...let someone else worry with them. I might still use a genuine crown or something cheap and plentiful on a replica but no more genuine movements or dials/hands.

One exception...genuine QSDJ dial on an Eta powered sapphire DJ. Lots of QSDJ dials around.

It's hard to beat the piece of mind wearing a swisseta or Asian powered MBW/MBK/cartel watch etc. Any time I wear a genuine rolex or F-stein with rolex movement, I worry about it locking up, getting wet/dropped etc and needing part$.

Wearing an old rolex today is like H.I. McDunnough said in 'Raising Arizona':

"Well...it ain't Ozzie and Harriet."

So...what do I wear?

Today, it's an old 'stem wind' Benrus Shock Absorber.

How old?

It had a lead caseback gasket. :balloon:

"There you have it." :yeah:

On reflection I have to agree with the 'keep it dry' camp. I have a gen 1952 semi bubble back oyster perpetual which is - in theory totally waterproof but there's no way I'd let it near water, too risky. So, lets keep the gens dry and let those rubbish, shameful excuses for watches, commonly called 'fakes' do all the hard work and prove their worth in the real world. Long live the well made rep :clap2:

My gen T-39 superdome on my MBW1665 passed to 660ft on a pressure test. I didnt bother going any further than that. My watches never see anything more than showering, hand washing or the occasional swim. I would have no problem putting on a good aftermarket t-39 onto you gen 1665 Nanuq. It might not go to 2000ft but I bet you can get "Submariner depths" out of it no problem. Good enought for playing in the snow up north anyways!

On reflection I have to agree with the 'keep it dry' camp. I have a gen 1952 semi bubble back oyster perpetual which is - in theory totally waterproof but there's no way I'd let it near water, too risky. So, lets keep the gens dry and let those rubbish, shameful excuses for watches, commonly called 'fakes' do all the hard work and prove their worth in the real world. Long live the well made rep :clap2:

A friend of mine took a replica 100$ seadweller down to 100m dive and it survived it ! it just goes to show now that watch is an addition to his get subs and a doxa !