When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My piece of shit 2010 Mercedes E

By-Tor

My company car is this one. E-klasse Merc 200 CDi automatic, model year 2010.

IMG_1506.jpg

So far it had these problems:

2 wire harnesses exchanged (the other was broken because the engine cover had rubbed it)

the whole ingition system changed

camshaft sensor (left me in the middle of nowhere, didn't start)

windscreen wiper electronics was broken

Front shock absorbers have already lost their hardness (after 100.000+ km)

and now this:. I was driving normal 80km/h and suddenly the power was gone. When I looked at the rear mirror I noticed a black, thick smoke coming from the rear.

TURBO had just exploded, it was like Kimi Raikkonen's McLaren (this car is just as reliable). Total destruction. Estimated cost: 7000 Euros.

What a piece of shit this car is. It has had more problems than my 3 previous Mercs put together.

On top of this my hobbyist car, a BMW E39 525i can run circles around this car when it comes to handling. This feels like a French waterbed.

Here's me reading the bill. :rtfm:

Cheers. That helped.

I dunno Ken. Could be a lemon.

But either way it doesn't have a SINGLE improvement over its predecessor, which was better car in all aspects (imho). Especially handling and chassis were better (more "German").

Best option would probably be Toyota Corolla. I've heard they're reliable. But then again there's just one life to live you know... and I'd like to enjoy the ride. Somehow Ford Mondeo doesn't quite rhyme nicely with that, either. :D

This was the best and most reliable E-klasse there was (W124) I drove 200.000 kilometers with (similar as) this one and never had ANY problems. 1995 model year. Great car (if you just forget its very poor power/capacity).

42800d1175361217-vacuum-adjustments-1995-w124-e320-95-e320-se-front.jpg

After this model they started to add all kinds of electronics which was just downhill from there. More powerful diesel engines and smooth automatic transmission have been the only real improvements.

@hartdoc: BMW I like... but Audis... hmm... I know they're good cars but for some reason I always feel that they're just Olympic versions of VW. :D Front wheel drives... yuck. quattro would be ok though.

• Like 1

Nothing like the old W124's! I'm in the market for a 500E myself. Went to a 500E GTG a couple of weeks ago and there was 10 of them there. Such an incredible car.

file-31.jpg

At the moment I have a 2013 E350 and so far it's been great. Completely different engine to my 2009 E350 Sport.

500E is very nice.

Generally older Mercs had much more "something". Take the W140 for example. Yeah it was blocky and oversized but it had "spirit". A real mammoth among the cars.

1991-mercedes-benz-600-se-w140-3.jpg

Or the classic 80'S SEC. Holy crap that still looks beautiful.

mercedes-560-sec_26769.jpg

Unfortunately rednecks and village idiots have molested most of them to this condition already.

3796362062_bfb0fb9116.jpg

I always got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the new E-Class was their 'Global Financial Crisis' model, set up to be a bit cheaper than the old one, fake leather upholstery and all. I find the insides of some of the newer models a bit to plasticky for my liking (C-Class and so on). They obviously get a lot better up the range, but that's an unacceptable lemon you seem to have had.

I always got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the new E-Class was their 'Global Financial Crisis' model, set up to be a bit cheaper than the old one, fake leather upholstery and all. I find the insides of some of the newer models a bit to plasticky for my liking (C-Class and so on).

When I bought mine I thought the black panels in the cabin were plastic. But no, I heard they're actually wood... ash.

But I'm old school and love the traditional wood panels. That was definitely a downgrade.

@Ken: Yeah that's a classic. :D

...there's just one life to live you know... and I'd like to enjoy the ride.

Then you want my ride. It's thoroughly enjoyable to drive and it takes forever to get anywhere, so eternity is within your grasp. :tu:

post-32-0-87445900-1352826036_thumb.jpg