When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gmt master real or fake..advice needed

lukenorris2011

Certainly some better pictures would help, but the layout of the dial looks very good, the coronet looks very good, the fonts for the word Rolex and everything else you can see look very good, and from the top down the shape of the CGs is correct. Also the tip on the small arrow GMT hand is equilateral, and you wouldn't necessarily see that on a rep.

It gets my vote as a gen.

I believe it's OK, but the case is not correct for the small GMT hand. The small hand was used on the 6542 (no crownguards) and the first 1675 PCG (pointed crown guards) So either the case has been replaced or the GMT hand was "upgraded" to a small point rather than a large point hand. also the insert isn't correct either, I don't believe they came out with all black inserts until later.

Before I bought this one,I would want to see the serial number (You can get a close approximation of the year built) The caseback and the movement. Look at the inside of the caseback and see if the build date approximates the serial # age.

One big problem with these watches, and we just had a discussion here a few days ago about this is it's often not a question of whether or not a watch is authentic, because in this case it certainly looks authentic, the question is how original is the watch. Has it been altered by a RSC because older parts weren't available, or is this a watch that has been "put together" with genuine parts, but not necressarily period correct.

If you are buying this watch as and everyday beater, then it's probably OK, but if you are trying to start or add to a Rolex collection, i would stay away from this one. And in either case, it would have to be a bargain for me to even consider it for a beater. i always try to think of a watch purchase in terms of "what will happen when I try to sell it" and almost all of us are "Flippers" to some degree, so a watch is probably not going to become a permanent member of the family. And orphan may be dificult to sell, and the price you get for it may be low compared to another really correct watch.

According to this: http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master_ref_1675.html it is a 1675 from the late 1960s if the small arrow is original, early 1970s if the insert is original. The all black insert was introduced before the 'coke' red/black insert. The insert on this watch looks newer than the rest of the watch, and is easier to replace, so I'd bet on that being the variant. That looks like a 5.3mm crown, but I'd want to see it seated because it looks too small on most reps.

Other than that, as others said with just that one pic, I'd guess genuine but absolutely look at the caseback and movement before I'd buy it. And I'd 'buy' the seller first.