When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Rules of The Road: Forum Etiquette

panerai153

I suppose that's a way of putting it, forum etiquette.At any rate one of the fairly new members proudly posted his rep Rolex 1016 over on the Rolex Forum. i'm sure he wasn't aware of the consequences, but it took about 10 posts before someone over there, who is probably a regular over here as well, wised up, called him out and now he's banned over there. That in itself isn't the end of the world, but what he did, posting on both forums with the same name, really brings unneeded attention to RWG. It probably took the Rolex Forum member about 30 seconds to do a member search here, and bingo! his name came up, he goers to his posts, finds the topic and links it back to TRF, so all the members there can see the RWG post, same pictures, same watch, etc.

So, since we have a pretty big turnover of folks, and lots of new members, maybe it's time to go back through the" rules of the road" so to speak. I have seen a whole lot of noobs posting lately, which i think is wonderful, but they need to know what is what. So here are the simple rules (Advice), that will keep you out of trouble.

1. Not a good idea to use the same "handle" on the rep sites that you use on genuine. accio used the same name, probably took the guy on the Rolex Forum about 30 seconds to do a member name search here and the other rep forums and sure 'nuf his name popped up. BUSTED!!

2. Never ever use a members real name, address, telephone number, or email on the open forum. If you want to use names, etc. only use them in PM's and emails to that individual.

There are quite a few folks here that also frequent genuine watch forums, not just Rolex but many,many other forums. Most of the folks who frequent the genuine forums, especially those who are on the "big name watch" forums are very, very intolerant. They hate reps, the people who wear reps, and everything there is to do with reps. They will ban someone in a second if they find out they are rep forum particiapants. So for the sake of the other members on the forum, be careful and play by the rules.

• Like 5

Yeah silly buggger, I see it a lot lately where the same handle is popping up on gen plus rep forums. Also inevitably with this 1:1 stuff ringing around reps constantly now, a few in the mix will try to do the 'gen forum test'. Even saw where there was a discussion on another rep forum about keeping things separate from gen forums and there was a lot of "I couldn't give a fcuk" type attitute. It's not too difficult to keep things separate, and it is better to keep things low key, not just for your own sake but also for the rep community.

Yikes. I have the same username across the different forums (signed up before I knew a damned thing about watches)

I don't post pictures of my watches there though. Hope I'm still ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

diaby as long as you do not draw attention should be OK. Not like they do not know we are here. They will however get in a snit if somebody pulls a rep out on their gen forum and I do not blame them.

I don't intend to but I'd like to sell a Rolex insert on there if I get a chance. Chances are they'll find me here so I won't get far

Thanks, We can agree to disagree on some things, that's pretty much the way things are in life.

@diaby2fc If you are going to frequent genuine forums, and plan to sell things there, i would re- register on the gen sites using a completely different user name, maybe even a different email address. It's just too easy for someone to pop over here hit the "members" button and type in your user name on their forum. IF they get a hit, you're probably toast.

A little common sense go's a long way here. Keep your gens at the gen sites If you wish....although I do find those places quite borring. But for ffs don't go posting your rep or supper rep or supper franken or whatever at a gen site. No matter how much time money and effort you have put Into It....It still a rep. Gen hands.dial crown crystal etc etc etc. Doesn't matter. It still not the original article. I know some people have a hard time with this concept... but It Is what It Is.

You will not only make yourself look like a ass....but It will makes RWG and the whole rep community look bad as well. As far as using the same user name.....I don't have words. I do....but I'll keep them to myself.;) So please folks.....keep your [censored] In the right box. :)

Well said Panerai153.

Mike

Thanks, We can agree to disagree on some things, that's pretty much the way things are in life.

@diaby2fc If you are going to frequent genuine forums, and plan to sell things there, i would re- register on the gen sites using a completely different user name, maybe even a different email address. It's just too easy for someone to pop over here hit the "members" button and type in your user name on their forum. IF they get a hit, you're probably toast.

Don't they keep track of IP address though?

The issue isnt really about reemphasising the more common sense need to know facts about this hobby.......

The issue is that the majority of the new guys just cant be arsed to read a single thread when they join....they dont make any effort to read the noob guides... "obviously they are for real noobs not someone like me.."

Personally I think any new members should be made to read only for first 2 weeks... except maybe allowed to post in intro section... and accept when registering that during that time they will read and accept certain links written by more senior guys on here to guide the new members....extreme maybe... but hey... :)

May be they wont but then they have no excuse when they cross any lines....

Afterall i wonder how many will read this...

Edited by PeteM
  • Like 1

The issue isnt really about reemphasising the more common sense need to know facts about this hobby.......

The issue is that the majority of the new guys just cant be arsed to read a single thread when they join....they dont make any effort to read the noob guides... "obviously they are for real noobs not someone like me.."

Personally I think any new members should be made to read only for first 2 weeks... except maybe allowed to post in intro section... and accept when registering that during that time they will read and accept certain links written by more senior guys on here to guide the new members....extreme maybe... but hey... :)

May be they wont but then they have no excuse when they cross any lines....

Afterall i wonder how many will read this...

I agree. We were all noobs once and I am just starting to step out of noobhood myself. It certainly irks me a lot to see a one day old fawn coming in here and asking "Where is the best place to buy a rep rolex from?" or "Which dealer is the best?" or "How do I tie my shoelace?"

Most just wanna WRITE, few would wanna READ. I think an entrance test might be necessary and members would need to score 95% and above to join :lol:

I agree. We were all noobs once and I am just starting to step out of noobhood myself. It certainly irks me a lot to see a one day old fawn coming in here and asking "Where is the best place to buy a rep rolex from?" or "Which dealer is the best?" or "How do I tie my shoelace?"

Most just wanna WRITE, few would wanna READ. I think an entrance test might be necessary and members would need to score 95% and above to join :lol:

Entrance exam sounds like a great idea. I have been on some forums that require you to post a minimum number (Say 50-100) posts in other threads before you have permission to start a thread, or sell in the sales forum. it just seems like we have had a really large number of folks with 1-50 posts posting and starting threads both in the General Discussion and Rolex forums. From reading their posts it's pretty evident that a fair number of them haven't done any research at all. I suspect that it's getting close to Christmas, and a lot of noobs are here shopping for Christmas watches!!

Entrance exam sounds like a great idea. I have been on some forums that require you to post a minimum number (Say 50-100) posts in other threads before you have permission to start a thread, or sell in the sales forum. it just seems like we have had a really large number of folks with 1-50 posts posting and starting threads both in the General Discussion and Rolex forums. From reading their posts it's pretty evident that a fair number of them haven't done any research at all. I suspect that it's getting close to Christmas, and a lot of noobs are here shopping for Christmas watches!!

1-50 posts before they are allowed to start a new thread seems fair actually.. this way, the newbies are forced to read and explore the forum if they are serious about hanging around.

Hmm.. I wonder if the admin would look into this.

It's ture....mostly newbs do stuff like this. But not always. I still feel this Is more about comon sense than anything else. Would you stick your [censored] In a meat grinder? I can't speak for anyone else here....but I would not think this would be a good idea. Would I post my rep on a gen site? No....another very bad idea.

A few years back a couple guys at Rep Geek.. I think....I don't know the exact details. But they took there super whatever the [censored] It was Rolex to a gen site for all to admire.  The the sole purpose to see If they could pass It off as a gen.....and they almost got away with It. But as always...they were called out on something and shown the door. It's not always the newb. These guys had been around quite a while There have been several examples here and elsewhere that bare this fact out.

You know If your watch Is the real thing or not..so again....keep your [censored] In the right box. If you have a gen Rolex than fine....knock your self out at those gen sites. If It's a rep than keep that [censored] here or at the other rep sites. Common [censored] sense. Now where's my meat grinder? ;)

Mike

What about 2 week read only followed by exam requiring 95% pass..... then an oath of allegiance...

LOL PeteM you slay me.. while at it, could you also write the lyrics for the RWG anthem? I will write the melody.

After the oath, he will be required to stand and sing the anthem without blinking, with his right hand over his left wrist, where his watch would be.

:lol: you're nuttier than Skippy peanut butter bro :lol: 

It never ceases to amaze me why folks would try something like that. While the genuine forums are rift with guys who have limited knowledge, but in their own mind are Rolex experts, there are some who are really, really knowledgeable and will see subtle variations that most of us would never see in a million years !

Here is the thing, post your watch here as a genuine Rolex, post the same photos you would if you were posting on The Rolex Forum, Vintage Rolex Forum, etc. If your thread gets past the first 5-8 posts, then you might get by with it on a genuine site. Unfortunately for you, you are going to get called out here, pretty fast, and the guys here will tell you why it's not a genuine.Good thing here, you might get ridiculed a little, but you aren't going to get banned. Over there you will.