When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 7750 in a DW Daytona

ldegeneve

Is this possible? I vaguely remember a member doing it...but I can't swear by it.

Of course, one would have to port the mechanism that transfers the minute counter from 12 to 3. 

If it is possible, who can do it? Isn't the legendary Zig retired?

Thanks for the help guys!

Have a look here www.dhwvintagewatchparts.com then give me a shout

Cheers DH

Thank you gentlemen. I have heard these before, and actually did send out my DW 6263 for a service.

I tried Rex over at Repgeek and had a HORRIBLE experience. It came back with a busted chrono, he pretty much gave up on it. Still had to pay (long story).

So who can do it?

Edited by ldegeneve

I've sent my chrono's to George (14060 or 10660) with very good results and also Speedy G with good results. Speedy did have to work on one of them a couple of times to get the minor bugs worked out. He did fix it the second time for free under warrantee with no hassle.

I'm not sure I'd agree that a $150 Asian movement is just as good as a $400 Swiss movement. They may be considered good for the money once serviced but I really doubt they are equivalent in quality. Just my opinion, of course.

I've sent my chrono's to George (14060 or 10660) with very good results and also Speedy G with good results. Speedy did have to work on one of them a couple of times to get the minor bugs worked out. He did fix it the second time for free under warrantee with no hassle.

Thank you!

I'm not sure I'd agree that a $150 Asian movement is just as good as a $400 Swiss movement. They may be considered good for the money once serviced but I really doubt they are equivalent in quality. Just my opinion, of course.

From what I've read, I think this was Zig's opinion as well. Except that the difference in quality was not considerable when you take the price into account.

• 3 weeks later...
I am a n00b but, is there any reason that you don't want to use ETA7753 instead of 7750? 7753 is the same movement as the Val 7750 except the 7753 has the register hands at 3, 6 & 9. Ofrei sells gen 7753 http://www.ofrei.com/page240.html

It'd be fine if it was built for a 7753, but it's not. It's built for a 7750 with a transfer plate, so the case/stem height expects the extra thickness, and the subdial spacing isn't quite the same.

It'd be fine if it was built for a 7753, but it's not. It's built for a 7750 with a transfer plate, so the case/stem height expects the extra thickness, and the subdial spacing isn't quite the same.

A 7753 works fine with with a DW build...if you do search...I've build one with a 7753.  The day/date wheel plate makes up for the extra thickiness.  A 7752 is a waste for a Rolex build, because you can use it for a Panerai build.

OP...swiss 7750 tri-compax movements do exists, but are rare to find.  Zeno, Coifman, and other "micro-brands" used these movements for their builds.  You can usually find them on E-Bay for around $200-$400.

Edited by ChiMan12

A 7753 works fine with with a DW build...if you do search...I've build one with a 7753.  The day/date wheel plate makes up for the extra thickiness.  A 7752 is a waste for a Rolex build, because you can use it for a Panerai build.

Any chance you could send me the link? Thanks!

A 7753 works fine with with a DW build...if you do search...I've build one with a 7753.  The day/date wheel plate makes up for the extra thickiness.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I wasn't sure about the thickness of the infamous transfer plate but, you would try keeping the thikness the same as the day/date wheel plate if you are the watchsmith working for rep makers. Thnks for the very helpful info.

Speaking of Daytona s just picked up one will post pics when I get it. Here are the specs- 6263 vintage ST-19/Venus/Lemania Handwind movement white black subs,

People find the Seagull 19 quite reliable. It seems to come with a proper column wheel and looks nice too. but, the biggest problem is the missing 6 o'clock subdial function. If you are happy with this then ST-19 is the way to go. 

Edited by photon

Please excuse me for being a bit off here. One more quetsion. I know that cartel dealers offer Daytona models (116520) with running sec@9. This fantasy Daytona version (as the running sec on 116520 is @6) is driven by A7750 without the wonkey transfer plate. Does this mean this A7750 is in fact an Asian version of 7753? The Seagull 7750 is coded as 3LZF2. I wonder what the code for this A7753.

By the way, as you all know there is a contemporary model with running sec at 9, commonly refeered to as "Zenith Daytona" or 16520. The A7753 is perfect for repping this 16520 Daytona. Yet, no rep maker does make this AFAIK. While the Zenith Daytona is a contemporary model, it resemples some early Daytonas (vintage style endlink, flatter bezel and brushed case). This is one of my favorite daytonas but, I just could not find a rep!

Please let me know if this has already been repped:

Rolex+16520+L-Ser+11:12+10.jpg

Edited by photon

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/144218-question-on-using-a-7753-in-a-daytona-dw-v72/

Any chance you could send me the link? Thanks!

Discussion here

People find the Seagull 19 quite reliable. It seems to come with a proper column wheel and looks nice too. but, the biggest problem is the missing 6 o'clock subdial function. If you are happy with this then ST-19 is the way to go. 

The problem with using a Seegull 19 is that the subdial layout is wrong, but there is a "faux" fix for that discussed here