When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any good tips on tightening a gen bezel assembly?

irolexu

The old trick that used to work on the 5512/3s and 1680s was to put a bend or kink in the flat washer. That would create the necesaary friction to slow down the bezel- might try it on the 16610.

All my problems w/ the 16610 bezel assembly have been a case of too tight!

The old trick that used to work on the 5512/3s and 1680s was to put a bend or kink in the flat washer. That would create the necesaary friction to slow down the bezel- might try it on the 16610.

All my problems w/ the 16610 bezel assembly have been a case of too tight!

same for me. I went through a total of 7 gen bezels (including my original) before I was able to settle on the 3 I needed to make insert changing easier on my 16800. 4 of the 7 were too tight.

Was the retaining ring and the bezel obtained as a set? If not, the retaining ring could have more wear on it then the interior surfaces of the bezel. Only way to fix this is to bend the click spring out further to apply greater pressure on the bezel. This in turn will tighten it up but will also result in making it harder to turn the entire assembly.

Edited by gavidoc

Sometimes we get a little too anal   :crazy: for our own good. I'm speaking from experience, because it hits me all the time. I get hung up on one small detail, and it worries me to death. I'm not talking about flaws that you can see from 20 feet away, but little things that no one else would notice unless you pointed them out. One of our problems is we focus on the little "nit picking" things with our reps, but what we don't see are the differences in genuines as well. I would bet that if you picked up 10 genuine subs, just like yours, you would find a fair difference in the pressure needed to turn the bezel. 

• 2 weeks later...
Have you replaced the crystal with a genuine crystal? The way a bezel fits on a Rolex has to do with the crystal. After market crystals tend to be slightly thinner/smaller, which allows for more play in the bezel's fit on the case.

Could you elaborate on that? I thought the retaining ring combined with the washer and click provide the tension to the bezel?

That's right. The retaining ring, flat tension washer and click spring is what gives the gen bezel assembly it's "precision".

As already mentioned it's best to keep retaining and bezel rings paired from the beginning (when possible)

Tweeking the flat tension washer will add some stiffness as will tweeking the tip of the click sping (unless it's a gen clicker)

And of course changing/renewing the flat tension washer will likely give the added stiffness you're after...often that'll make it too tight until it sort of "arcs" to the slight wear already in the retainer and bezel ring.

NOTE: the only variation in the thickness of gen flat tension washers for the 16800/16610 bezel assemblies that I'm aware of is age and wear :)

Edited by correctime