When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about water resistance in reps

xxmanxx

I think this is the right place for this. I ordered a rep submariner from Pure time ill post a link at the bottom of the thread. Its Noob factory made so im pretty sure it will be quality made i saw the qc picks and everything looks nice. But it says its water resistant to 5 atm and i was wondering accurate it was. Do they actually test it in water or is that just a rating. Would it be safe to wear while swimming or taking a shower?

link

http://www.puretime.co/product/submariner-114060-no-date-noob-edition-a2836/

Edited by xxmanxx

I think this is the right place for this. I ordered a rep submariner from Pure time ill post a link at the bottom of the thread. Its Noob factory made so im pretty sure it will be quality made i saw the qc picks and everything looks nice. But it says its water resistant to 5 atm and i was wondering accurate it was. Do they actually test it in water or is that just a rating. Would it be safe to wear while swimming or taking a shower?

link

http://www.puretime.co/product/submariner-114060-no-date-noob-edition-a2836/

I think they gonna charge for testing the water resistance

Its an option if you want it

http://puretime.co/product/waterproofing-test/

"I do not trust water pressure claims. Never shower in your watch any watch and buy a real diver (you can get one cheap) for water these are reps."

+1

Rule of thumb...

1...Replica watches will not leak in replica water.

2...Real water will drown most of them.

#2 is from experience.  :snorkel:

Kidding aside, I have had the best luck with oem spec rlx vintage type replicas using oem spec or genuine crystals, bezels, case tubes, crowns, and cb gaskets. Most F520117 etc noob subs with the stepped crystal were Ok too. 

I would be afraid to get an 'out of the box' replica wet until it has been tested. When testing in a 'wet' tester, it is a good idea to remove the movement/dial because a fast leak may flood the watch and a slow leak may blow the crystal off.

Matter of fact, I have removed solid gold DJ, OPD etc bezels/crystals by allowing a slow leak at the crown (no inside case tube gskt, crown slightly loose) and let the sudden change in pressure (from about 90psi) when the case is dunked to blow the crystal off to keep from running a blade under the soft gold bezel (they are so easy to nick or bend). Sometimes this will just blow the top off an acrylic crystal or blow the crystal out of a sapphire crystal case leaving the bezel clamped over the acrylic crystal skirt or sapphire crystal gasket...then it is back to the blade.

this topic has been discussed in quite a lot of detail many times. xxmanxx, I would suggest that you do a search. However to save you a little time, I second what automatico said in spades. DO NOT believe any of the claims made by any of the rep dealers,period. Watches have been delivered with gaskets missing, casebacks barely finger tight, broken or missing O-rings, dry gaskets. The first thing that you need to understand about reps is there is almost no quality control. the watches are assembled by people who are untrained. They posess very limited horologic skills. many were assembling IPads or toasters the week before!! If you buy a genuine Rolex, it is pressure tested to limits beyond the depths on the dial. the rep of that watch was assembled and wrapped up in bubble wrap, shipped to you. No one pressure tests, they might say they do, but I wouldn't count on it. If you plan to swim, snorkel or scuba dive with   your watch, I would invest in a genuine that you know was tested, or have your rep "waterproofed", and pressure tested at least to 120% of the depth you intend to dive.The biggest problem with that is most of  the smaller "Wet" testers only go up to about 8 atmos, and most are 5-6 max. to get a really good deep test, it would require a "Dry" tester which is cvery expensive, and not found in every watch repair shop.  I know that there are lots of members here who disagree. I have heard of several members that regularly scuba with their reps, but I can guarantee they spent some time and effort making sure they were water resistant.

A couple of years ago, I pressure tested 10 of my reps. of the 10 tested, 6 passed and 4 failed,including a Rolex SD rep and 2 PAM reps that both had "submersible" on the dial or caseback. the 4th was a Ulysse Nardin black Surf Dive watch! All of my vintage MBW reps passed as well as a couple of newer SD reps and 16610 rep that  I was giving to my son.I tested all of them to 5 atmos., which isn't nearly enough for any serious depth. Theyare fine for wearing at the beach. i don't worry about wearing them into the water, but past that,  I use genuine for scuba.

Even if your replica watch was designed to be water-resistant, the lack of quality control at the chinese factories means you can not be certain!  If the watch assembly person forgets to install your rubber gasket ... disaster. This is the main problem!

Ditto ! get it tested it will be hit and miss with regards to water resistance thats why even if you order waterproofing service dealers will not cover water damage at all, loose backcases are a big problem especially when purchased by someone who does not mess/mod watches

my ultimate submariner rated at 100 atm passed it was tested on a rolex tester and actually was 100 atm , all watches including gens have to be checked regular and have gaskets replaced to maintain its water resistance ! 

i remember reading on a website an ex navy diver who has a large collection of gen submariners dived to 100 meters with a 10usd seadweller replica and the watch servived the dive without any issues and the rep has now a place with his gen collection which includes some gen 5517 milsubs ! :)

Edited by aeromatic

My SOP with REPs that are suppose to be water resistant:

upon receipt, do the following:

- Check the crystal to make sure they are properly installed/mounted (I had a GMT-IIc that had an improperly mounted xtal)

- Open up the Case Back and make sure it has a rubber o-ring then grease it.....if not put a new one that had been greased

- Unscrew the crown and release it, check to make sure it has an o-ring, the tube have an o-ring inside and out (triplock)........remember to grease!

- when done.....put back the crown and the CB and make sure its well tightened. 

- have it pressure tested so that when you go diving  :snorkel: you drown 1st before your watch! :partytime:

Good luck!

• Like 1

Most gen like constructed case will be waterproof. By that I mean, if you have a crystal that has a bezel that presses over it, most likely it is waterproof. If you have a case where the crystal presses into it, not waterproof. Of course the case tube and crown should be installed properly, and the correct gasket for the back. But, the press in crystal, will most likely leak.