When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

***movement tear down*** SA3135 Rolex clone

Rolexman

"But if you say well, even serviced these movt. aren't worth it, then I will wait for a V3 or perhaps even a V4. It is not about the looks of the movt."   Service is usually the first step but the major problem with all A-clones is no parts.  V3/V4 etc may never come or not be much of an improvement.         " I just want to fit gen hands and gen DW on a somewhat reliable movt."   Genuine hands... Eta 2824/36/2892 etc hand sizes are 150/90/24 (some models show .25 or .26 ss hand size). Rlx 1530/70 etc 130/80/20 Rlx 3000/3035/3135 etc 140/95/22   You can probably mount 3000 series rlx hands on an Eta movement by broaching the hand holes depending on how thick the material is in the hour/min hands.  Rlx 1530 series hands may be too small/thin to broach to Eta sizes. High quality tudor spec hands made for Eta movements are what nearly everyone uses. If you want 'solid gold' rlx hands, remember that rlx used plated hands for many years....and gold hands are very fragile.   Date wheel overlays are an option or you could use a genuine rlx 3135 dw for an overlay on an Eta 2836/46 etc...providing you have enough room between the dw and dial.   Genuine Eta movements will usually be more reliable than A-clones. I would say 'always' but some may differ. ...in my experience it has always been always.   :pimp:
Thanks, But I do believe that the Y3135 can take a lot off genuine parts. But that's purely an assumption off course. And otherwise movements with no spare parts will become spare parts, so in the long run it will not be a problem ;) Also based on you measurements I'm sure the A3135 will take genuine hands if I compare the dimensions. The Y3135 will not fit a genuine second hand from what I have read in 10:10 watchmaker's review. But as the date wheel on the A3135 is slightly larger than on the Y3135 I doubt that the A3135 can fit a gen date wheel.

Thanks for the great post!

I am a little disappointed by the reversing wheels. From my own experience with the V1 those will come apart and then that's it with automatic winding. The reversing wheels hold 6 or 8 small jewels each to mimic the function of the genuine part and once those fall around inside the watch they'll get stuck and probably cause additional damage.

As long as there is no way to replace the reversing wheels with either genuine or aftermarket wheels like those of the Y3135 I'd say stay away from this movement.

Thanks for the great post!

I am a little disappointed by the reversing wheels. From my own experience with the V1 those will come apart and then that's it with automatic winding. The reversing wheels hold 6 or 8 small jewels each to mimic the function of the genuine part and once those fall around inside the watch they'll get stuck and probably cause additional damage.

As long as there is no way to replace the reversing wheels with either genuine or aftermarket wheels like those of the Y3135 I'd say stay away from this movement.

Well that's the beauty of the one part reversing wheels of the A3135 as opposed to the (apparently crappy build) but gen like style of the Y3135: They won't fall apart ;)

By the way: I did not see the jewels you talk about in he review of 10:10.

The jewels are not there in 10:10's review because the Y3135 uses a gen-like setup without them.

The A3135 reversing wheels will fall apart. The are not one part but three plus a bunch of jewels. Red top plate, outer gear, inner gear with stem and the jewels inbetween. Not only is this design not true to the gen, it is at least as problematic as a second at six movement.

None of the A3135 I held in my hands so far survived without problems with the reversing wheel and according to Puretime nothing was changed from V1 to V2 with those.

I'd prefer the Y3135 over the A3135 any day. It might be of a lesser degree of quality but it does not have a flawed design and is serviceable to solve the quality issues.

The jewels are not there in 10:10's review because the Y3135 uses a gen-like setup without them.

The A3135 reversing wheels will fall apart. The are not one part but three plus a bunch of jewels. Red top plate, outer gear, inner gear with stem and the jewels inbetween. Not only is this design not true to the gen, it is at least as problematic as a second at six movement.

None of the A3135 I held in my hands so far survived without problems with the reversing wheel and according to Puretime nothing was changed from V1 to V2 with those.

I'd prefer the Y3135 over the A3135 any day. It might be of a lesser degree of quality but it does not have a flawed design and is serviceable to solve the quality issues.

Ah okay I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

This is awesome Looks like I can officially bury my Franken yachtie project lol

Great review.

Seems to me that Yuki's may have the upper hand design and QC wise, but isn't available apparently...?

The SA3135 V2 is readily available in pertinent reps right now from Angus and seems to have decent parts support from him as well.

Yuki just got them back in stock yesterday. Bit of a price jump thanks to this tear down !! (J/K)

$275 now.