When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a good Rolex rep for $40?

TimeToPretend

If you can water proof the watch, $40 bucks are well spent. Get it, learn the hobby, evolve with it and have fun. That is what is all about. I say, go for it. Cannot go wrong for $40. A case with lugholes drilled is twice more than that. A movement that runs is another $35 shipped, dial and hands that actually work together another $40, Decent usable oyster bracelet is another $45, get what I'm saying? 

The only problem I'm facing at the moment is whether or not someone will believe that an 18 year old rocks a Rolex. I'm trying to think of a good backstory and the best I could come up with is my parents bought me a used one from my uncle for my 18th birthday. 

God I'm such a loser, haha. :p

As above, for $40, you can't go wrong, it's a really nice piece (I only buy budget on principle (and because I'm broke :lol: ) )  As for your age being an issue...  I do understand what you mean.  I didn't feel comfortable wearing a Rolex till I hit 30.  But.  That was because it was the latest model 16610, and looked brand spanking new, and I knew nothing about Vintage...  Looking back, had it been an older model, or beaten up enough to not look brand new, then I probably would have felt more comfortable.  My advice is to buy it, but when you get it, spend some time brushing the entire watch with a green scotchbrite pad to put some artificial wear marks into it (especially on the clasp and underside of the bracelet)  Don't go crazy, you don't want it to look totally fucked up, you just want it to look worn.  That way, when you wear it, it's going to be less eye-catching.  Equally, don't let the watch wear you... Don't wear it like it's a several thousand dollar Rolex, just wear it like it is what it is:  A $40 watch.  Chances are, no one will even notice or comment on it.  Anyone who does...  Just say it was a birthday present and leave it at that.  No need to lie about it or build a cover story, as that's probably what gets rep wearers a bad name.  If anyone asks, just tell the truth.  If they have a problem with that, then that's their problem, not yours :good::drinks:

[Edit to add] 

If you're worried about being called out, rather than going for a Submariner, which is a very noticeable watch, maybe consider a DateJust with an oyster bracelet and a flat bezel (or an original Explorer)  They are seriously low-key, and go with anything, from dress-shirts to T-Shirts, so less chance of attracting attention :)

• Like 1

Or buy an Invicta 8926c and call it good. 200m out of the box, homage to the Submariner, sapphire crystal and looks good. Just get rid of the damn INVICTA etching on the side. No one is going to call you out on the Invicta

It can have almost the same problem though...  

"Is that a Rolex?"

"No, it's an Invicta..."  

"What's that?"

"It's based on the Rolex design..."

"So it's a copy?"

Sure, a rep is a rep, and only ever a facsimile of the original, but they are at least 'honest' about what they are [trying to be], where homage brands like Invicta, Alpha, Getat etc, simply ride the design coat-tails of the original, and slap their own branding on that design...  

Equally, a wearer might think "It's nice, but it's still not a Rolex..." (in terms of aesthetics and brandings) and over time, that could lead to resentment of the watch not being the other, and while a rep may be a rep, at least it has the complete aesthetics (to a degree :lol: ) of the original, so can still satisfy that want, were an albeit legit homage may not :)

Of course, just my .2c :good::drinks:

I know Teejay, trust me. In this world the only fair thing to do is do as one wishes to do. No one really cares, and if they pretennd to do so, you're still doing what you want to do.

@OP,

Get the damn watch already! lol for $40, you cannot do anything but win.

• Like 1

I know Teejay, trust me. In this world the only fair thing to do is do as one wishes to do. No one really cares, and if they pretennd to do so, you're still doing what you want to do.

@OP,

Absolutely so :good::drinks:  Living one's life for others approval or validation, really isn't living B)

@OP,

You're right, I'll pull the trigger by tonight at the latest. I'll post pics when it gets here :D