When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Be Careful Out There Guys And Gals>>>

longshot

Just a heads up to be extra careful out there :(

Last week I sold a rep on Craigslist here in town. My ex is finally getting most of her stuff out and I’ve been wasting perfectly good watch $$ on fixing up my place and needed a little extra cash without waiting for shipping or PayPal etc.

So a buyer contacted me and we made arrangements to meet at a local Starbucks and then he had to cancel. So we finally met the next day. He did not really know much about reps and was wearing the worst display back 42mm Yachtmaster with brass showing thru on the crown and lugs I have ever seen. That he paid over $200 for. He was suitably impressed with a 4th gen Planet Ocean for almost the same money. I sized it for him using my tool and took extra time to get it 'right'. We had coffee and talked for a long time about watches and he paid me with three hundred dollar bills and I gave him change in $20’s. I had bought one of those special pens and looked at the hundreds carefully and put a long mark across each one and it came up yellow, as it should. I thought it was a nice interaction and figured I would turn him on to the forums.

So I deposited the money in my banks ATM that morning.

Monday night the bank reversed my deposit and claims the bills were counterfeit!!!

I don’t get to see them or dispute it. I have zero recourse. So I’m out the watch and the ‘change’ I gave him. And the time. And the local police will do nothing.

Happy Holidays...

I’ve done literally hundreds of knife and watch and flashlight deals over the years. I’ve sent watches to Asia and Europe with the promise of a check in the mail. I’ve had custom knifemakers send me a $1000+ knife with the understanding that I would send a check if it was what I had ordered and I was happy. I have only ever been scammed once before by a ‘dealer’ in Taiwan who ripped off lots of knife collectors and dealers then listed all the knives that he claimed to Paypal were never delivered, on his web site for sale...

Now I suppose I will never do an in person deal again without watching the $$ come out of an ATM.

Basically it sucks :yuk::yuk::yuk:

That sucks... sorry to hear :(

Bear in mind it's entirely possible he didn't know he was paying with counterfeit bills either... I once got change at a store and it turned on 2 of the 20's were counterfeit...

Bank said they can do nothing, same as you becuase they cannot go tracing down counterfeit bills to where they come from (unless it's large sums like thousands, and then only if cops get involved). They just can't honor them as cash or give them back for obvious reasons.

If the bills turned yellow with the pen they were probably good fakes (reps?) and might have fooled the buyer.

Might want to contact him and see what he has to say, doubt he will give you more money, but if he is legitimally unkonwing it might save him some grief of he has other monies similar...

FWIW when I don't do much cash business, but what I do I try to keep the cash out of the bank... just hold it to spend in a store or something...

I heard that they have gotten better and the bills pass the pen test.. but now I know

it's fact....

I'm pretty sure the guy knew what he was doing, as they find ways to spend the money

that are outside of cameras or, if possible, the law... <_<

Sucks big time, but this ragged rat, will pay somewhere down the line when he least expects it...

what goes around, comes around...

What an unfortunate incident, ouch, has to hurt for sure. There is a twisted irony, you have to admit in using counterfeit money to purchase a counterfeit watch. :black_eye:

What an unfortunate incident, ouch, has to hurt for sure. There is a twisted irony, you have to admit in using counterfeit money to purchase a counterfeit watch. :black_eye:

the difference is; he knew the watch was counterfeit and got more than fair value for his money :angry:

he's a thief, i'm not...

These sort of situations are not uncommon these days and because of this it has just made everything twice as difficult. What's a guy to do? he handed you cash and what better payment method could one ask for? I am sure he knew what he was doing. All this does is raises peoples distrust for anyone.

There was really nothing you could have done outside of carrying a couterfiet pen to mark the bills and even that is not 100% accurate.

Sorry to hear about this. These sort of things really put a bad taste in peoples mouths :yuk:

Lanny, It's disturbing to hear news like this! :(

I honestly think I would have reacted the exact way you did in this transaction. I don't think you could have stopped this from happening. I agree with Rocket, and am not convinced the buyer new he had fake $100 bills.

On the upside, you could have sold him 3 watches and been out a grand. I think we all learn from these situations, and I feel very bad about your loss. Not just the financial end!

-MM

What they are doing now is called washing the money, and then reprinting a new copy over the old paper. it will test alright with the counterfeit pen. Also will show the line down the side as normal. What you can usually spot is the face that's embedded in the bill on the RH side as a hologram, they can`t wash that. I caught a $100.00 bill before depositing to the bank from my business not long ago that looked ok, until I held it up to the light and saw Lincolns hologram face on the right, Ben Franklin should be there. :blink:

Noob cashier.

That's the best way to quick check a for a counterfeit.

If it was more than one he new about it. Probably rationalized he could scam you since it was counterfeit goods and you probably would`nt report it.

Never...Never...NEVER... take $100.00 bills from a stranger!!! But I guess I don't have to tell you that now!!

"Street smarts" can often be the most expensive education you can buy...I grew up in a tough neighborhood...[censored] even the cockroaches wore shin guards!!...I learned at an early age to not trust strangers...NO EXCEPTIONS!!...I know it's a [censored] to go through life distrusting everyone, but at least you've got half a chance at getting through it at all...The only thing that is replicated better than watches these days is currency!!.....Your only real safety is through electronic transfers...Sad but true!!.. :angry::angry::angry:

the difference is; he knew the watch was counterfeit and got more than fair value for his money :angry:

he's a thief, i'm not...

Of course that a-hole was a thief, I did not intend to disparage your situation in any way, rather pointing out the absurdity of it. I meant no offence.

Just a heads up to be extra careful out there :(

Last week I sold a rep on Craigslist here in town. My ex is finally getting most of her stuff out and I’ve been wasting perfectly good watch $$ on fixing up my place and needed a little extra cash without waiting for shipping or PayPal etc.

So a buyer contacted me and we made arrangements to meet at a local Starbucks and then he had to cancel. So we finally met the next day. He did not really know much about reps and was wearing the worst display back 42mm Yachtmaster with brass showing thru on the crown and lugs I have ever seen. That he paid over $200 for. He was suitably impressed with a 4th gen Planet Ocean for almost the same money. I sized it for him using my tool and took extra time to get it 'right'. We had coffee and talked for a long time about watches and he paid me with three hundred dollar bills and I gave him change in $20’s. I had bought one of those special pens and looked at the hundreds carefully and put a long mark across each one and it came up yellow, as it should. I thought it was a nice interaction and figured I would turn him on to the forums.

So I deposited the money in my banks ATM that morning.

Monday night the bank reversed my deposit and claims the bills were counterfeit!!!

I don’t get to see them or dispute it. I have zero recourse. So I’m out the watch and the ‘change’ I gave him. And the time. And the local police will do nothing.

Happy Holidays...

I’ve done literally hundreds of knife and watch and flashlight deals over the years. I’ve sent watches to Asia and Europe with the promise of a check in the mail. I’ve had custom knifemakers send me a $1000+ knife with the understanding that I would send a check if it was what I had ordered and I was happy. I have only ever been scammed once before by a ‘dealer’ in Taiwan who ripped off lots of knife collectors and dealers then listed all the knives that he claimed to Paypal were never delivered, on his web site for sale...

Now I suppose I will never do an in person deal again without watching the $$ come out of an ATM.

Basically it sucks :yuk::yuk::yuk:

You must have some sort of correspondence between yourself and him.

Be it his contact info (phone number or email) or his Craigslist logged IP, you've got a way to track him down.

I would contact the Secret Service and the Department of Treasury and see what they have to say. They don't take this stuff lightly.

Best of luck to you!

You guys must not live in California :lol:

If your car is stolen or broken into the police do not even come out. They take a report over the phone or on line. If your house is broken into they usually will not come out either. If a firearm or firearms are stolen it's possible a public safety officer might come out, they are not sworn and do not carry guns but will take the report. I called them and they told me I could come down during business hours and file a report, but that the chances of anything being done with it were slim and none.

I called the local Secret Service office and they were not interested either. They said that if a large number of counterfeit bills with the same serial numbers started being turned in by the banks they will normally start an investigation :angry:

Honestly about the only identifying thing I know about bills is the stripe and the watermark. These had both those items. I probably have not seen two one hundred dollar bills in the last year. I also thought the pens were reliable, I guess not! I almost never carry cash and use a debit card for everything so I don't really pay attention to currency.

I will pay attention from now on and it was kind of an expensive lesson. The only reason I really posted was as a friendly warning to others. Not to have my judgement questioned...

I don't think people mean to question your judgement, rather we are just trying to figure out what happened so others can avoid it.

My questions to you concerning the many anti counterfiet features of the newer U.S. bills was not intended to say you were foolish in missing them but rather to point out to others things they could look for (and because I honestly wanted to know how good fake bills have become).

For the record I don't think counterfiet bills have either real watermarks of microfilm stripes... rather they have come up with convincing ways to fake these. They actually print watermark like images on the paper (rather than having them IN the paper), same goes with the micro film stripe. It is hard to know what is real unless you really examine them super closely. One easier thing to look at is the color shifting ink. As far as I know the counterfieters have not been able to replicate that at all. If you look at the number 100 on the bill, several of them will shift color as you tilt the bill. They go from green to black much like some color shifting car paints do.

I had no idea that those pens could be fooled. I am not sure how they work actually but if they test the paper somehow then it is possible that your bills were printed on REAL U.S. currency paper (bleached $1 bills) so that may explain it.

Sucks no matter what, thanks for the info.

What they are doing now is called washing the money, and then reprinting a new copy over the old paper. it will test alright with the counterfeit pen. Also will show the line down the side as normal. What you can usually spot is the face that's embedded in the bill on the RH side as a hologram, they can`t wash that.

Maybe it's about time the US did what most of the sane parts of the rest of the world do and start printing different value notes on different colours/sizes of paper??!!

:blink:

Maybe it's about time the US did what most of the sane parts of the rest of the world do and start printing different value notes on different colours/sizes of paper??!!

:blink:

My exact thoughts r11co as I'm reading this thread :D (you still living in "Foreign [censored]land" by the way? ;))

I feel a monologue coming on, sorry.... -_-

Whenever I'm in the US, I absolutely HATE using cash for this reason - it just beggars belief that your Treasury prints notes of almost the same colour (variations of black and dark green) and the same size :blink: Sure you have security features but I suggest you go to your local bureaux des changes and check out any medium denomination (usually the counterfeiters' favourites as given less attention) European major currency say a £20 note or a 50€ note, or 100 CHF (Swiss Francs) or 100SEK (Swedish Kronor) and see exactly what we mean. The higher denomination notes have even greater security features that are APPARENT TO THE UNTRAINED NAKED EYE not reliant on marker pens UV lights etc. Try faking an embedded hologram! I remember the old Dutch Guilder when I lived in the NL, gorgeously brightly coloured, sizes ranging from tiny credit card sized notes to massive 1000 fl. notes (one of those babies was worth about $700 of your funny money!!!). Christ, even the makers of Monopoly have caught onto that idea :rolleyes:

It makes me deeply saddened to hear this happened to a good guy like Longshot - as someone earlier said, don't let it make you cynical, just be careful and smile in the knowledge that karma will come round and give this guy his due...with interest :black_eye:

that really sucks!

that was a trade....a rep for a rep!...

life goes on...everyday we learn something new...I had a lesson 15 years ago, when I had a chance seeing my parents got cheated....these days even the greatest experts cannot to fool me...and after what happened to you, I doubt anybody will be able to do it again!

People are too comfortable with cash.. I always check every single note when I sell car, cant trust anybody!

If you ever have any doubts, take a few notes and try and deposit them, if they are questioned let them sieze the notes and go and spend them elsewhere..

Edited by Davey

he's a thief, i'm not...

ugly history... I hope that the watch in the hands of this "bastard thief" now stops working.... :angry:

I remember one friend that wanted to sell pocket watch through announce on the newspapers.

Arranged the appointment with the buyer.... Him found an ugly person with a knife in the hand...

the watch was taken with the strength... non remained lot of alternatives

I'm not sure why the U.S. Treasury feels the need to keep money so traditional either, but they have made MASSIVE leaps in the past 10 years.

The money today, while the same size, actually IS printed on different colored paper, the mid to larger sizes are not even predominatley green any more but rather a mix of other colors and (from what they claim) there are more advanced anti counterfiet features in these bills than any other currancy in the world. The problem is that these advanced features are NOT known by the general public. Any Secret Service person can spot them in a mili second and probably prevent large scale counterfieting, but the guy on the street is still screwed.