When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 with Explorer 3-6-9 dial back from Akira

ogladio

Have been lusting for a Rolex 6538 for quite some time. Especially the version with red triangle bezel and explorer dial... Guess it goes to back to seeing gen inspiration like these:

A6538-Cla-34-ok-2.jpg
6538pearl.jpg
A6538-Cla-2-ok-3.jpg

Started hoarding cheap parts (total sum slightly above $100):
- Silix ROL5 case set
- 3-6-9 dial and hands from Rafflestime
- Athaya 8 mm crown, 0,9 mm for auto movements
- DG2813 movement, movement 
- Yuki pearl

After a couple of destroyed dg2813's (or just with keyless works issues) and I started realizing my limitations when it comes to oyster homages. There also started to appear superb looking budget builds from Akira on the forums - especially some with stunning tropical dials... Took contact and it turned out he was a great guy to talk to, exchange inspiration and ideas with - and for some reason he gladly accepted to help to help. I was a very happy man, kudos mate!   :clap:   :clap:

Here's how the case set and dial looked stock, pretty crappy looking dial to be honest:
dsc05320c.jpg

Pile of parts:
dsc05314z.jpg

Here's what Akira set out to do:
- drilling lugholes
- shaving, fitting plexi
- reluming, ageing dial + hands
- ageing insert
- ageing, polishing case
- drilling case and glueing Athaya tube into the case
- tropical brown dial

The hope was that the dial would end up magical like this gen:
1170_zps14be53d0.jpg

To be honest, I had no real hopes starting out with the cheap parts I did. It's not Phong and Minhq in the parts list after all... However, when the pictures started coming from Akiras shop I literally just fell of my chair   :shock:   :o And now, I just couldn't be happier with the end result    :sun:

I'll skip to end results now, hope it gives inspiration to the rest of you guys. Donerix was kind enough to make me a custom strap with buckle for this one. Please shoot in any questions here or comments!

dsc05484r.jpg
dsc05486ez.jpg

dsc05479c.jpg
dsc05481sk.jpg
dsc05480n.jpg
dsc05468s.jpg

Wristies:
dsc05504x.jpg
dsc05503f.jpg
dsc05494ha.jpg
dsc05501n.jpg

Dial looks great man! congrats to you and Akira on this build! That strap great to but as freddy said you need to beat up the case so it looks old.

Dial looks great man! congrats to you and Akira on this build! That strap great to but as freddy said you need to beat up the case so it looks old.

Guess Akira need to step in if he wants to share his methods. Here's a pic of the dial from when it was outside of the case at an earlier phase:

file_zpsacae335d.jpg

Thanks btw guys for the comments on the case - a round in the screws-and-bolts box and buffing might do it good. I'll see when the right moment comes to uncase again... :)

:lol:

Nanuq, is there a specific dial you need to be tropicalized? 

That's it, rub salt in my wounds.  :Jumpy:

I'm going for the Tropical Hat Trick.  My 1665 and 1675 are tropical, but my 6536 refuses to come out of the closet, so to speak.

So I'm thinking about ways to tropicalize my Daz-built 6538.  He's got a spectacular vintage patina to the dial, but if it was tropical brown, I could die a happy man.

There's my conundrum.  A brown sharpie or spray paint are my ideas so far.  :g:

• 2 weeks later...

oh my, excellent tropical dial....just like gen...spill the beans please :) can't be heat alone...the dial didnt show micro bubbles? dont beat it up..lots of gen have mint case. just let that come natually. each scartch will have a story to tell. flex