When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6538 Tropical Dial

msp

Imho this watch deserves a thread since it's the only rep dial which has been modded to have a tropical look.

I've done quite a bit of research on no crown guards Submariners lately.

A thought was building a franken by using Phong's midcase, ETA 2846, Minq dial... Well maybe in sooner or further future.

I ended up getting this a lot more inexpensive version of the 6538. A Phong franken would've easily set me 1800€ back if not even more.

At first when it arrived yesterday I thought hmm cool watch but I'm not really feeling the love. I was sitting at the dining table and was opening

the parcel when a light ray was shining inside.. And there I saw it. This was awesome, everything I was hoping for when I bought this watch.

The tropical dial has got so many facets depending on different lighting and surrounding. It's simply astonishing.

Ingredients:

Cartel 6538 Sub with clone 2836 movement

Sternkreuz Tropic shaved to correct height and fitted

Athaya Brevet crown and tube (case redrilled to fit Athaya tube into the case)

Lug holes drilled to accept gen spec spring bars

Hands and dial relumed

Dial aged and treated to a tropical brown

Insert aged

Case aged and polished

Rivet bracelet

62BC6744-0C56-4079-B9CD-8E3737B3A318-188

39D9DD17-A5FF-4E48-A236-7F0538C4BEAF-188

6FCBDDDC-202B-497A-B6DB-AB98E157E7DE-188

AE844FC9-701C-4DFF-B133-0FD7E7678D56-188

CEB0B795-D1D6-43A3-97E6-991A8B87F3DA-188

B569D597-12FB-42D9-872A-BEA44D726B2E-188

B5836B2F-6F8A-41F4-8531-4BB60DE78413-188

B7667104-CC1B-4818-98F9-F1DF79F2995E-188

tropcial_zpsd01cf11f.jpeg

tropical3_zpsea24dc16.jpeg

tropical4_zps1c42d289.jpeg

Hope you liked it wink.png

• Like 1

That's a great one. Piece of advice DON"T let nanug anywhere near it, he has a concealed hammer permit,  :hammer:  Suddenly, out of nowhere, there's a hammer and wack, crash bam, your beautiful new old watch is pasturized ,homogenized vandelized, but nor simonized!! nanug vintigizing service service strikes again!! 

I don't know how akira does this but it's so appealing that I asked my dial maker if he can attemp something similar on my 3-6-9 dial that I'm currently having made. He responded by saying that the tropical effect or actually any of the effects of the old gilt dials were caused by the celulose based lacquer that was used. He said it turns orange/yellow and sometimes crackles or spider webs based on mainly uv exposure and a few other things (all of which are natural). We got to talking and he said that he uses a newer lacquer that isn't affected by uv, I wondered if we could find that old lacquer and use it so that I would get a natural age over the years exactly as if I had an original dial. He said he actually has it (zaponlack) but that it's alcohol based and has to be diluted with isopropanol, and is a very difficult and dangerous process. Instead he suggested that we try using a clear cellulose lacquer meant for guitars that's easier to work with and has the same characteristics of changing color and being brittle. I think I will go for it, why not, it won't look like yours off the bat but if I wear it enough over the years with exposure to uv it will change over time I hope, and take on a tropical look or the like

That's an interesting theory cc33.  I know my vintage guitars have a nice antique "honey" look that the newer ones lack.  They used a nitrocellulose lacquer and wiped on many many thin layers.

I read somewhere another theory that the paint in some dial batches was fortuitously (to us) flawed.  The black is made of red+blue+yellow and over time the blue and yellow faded more than the red, leaving a brown tint to the dial.  It seems plausible.

And you think he justs hammers things, hes also known for snatching dogs. So be mindfull when your walking your dogs. One second the dogs sniffing the bush and all of a sudden the bush has legs and arms and runs away with your dog. lol Hes waiting.

Hey.... whatever it takes to accomplish the end result.

post-32-0-67586500-1366212598_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes on non gilt dials this is very possible but as I was explained the black underneath the lacquer on gilt dials is achieved using a galvanization process, I don't think there is any paint involved. But ya that's exactly what I'm hoping for, that honey look you are referring to. It changes the gilt to look orange and the dial to seem brown like this one

post-38788-0-98044100-1366212622_thumb.j

THE most gorgeous 6538 on the planet.  :notworthy:

But, I have a gilt dial that's gone tropical (1675) and a non-gilt that's also gone tropical (1665).   :g:

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Nice, but still not the complete answer, I think.  My 1675 is gilt, and has gone tropical, but the black of the dial is as brown as my non-gilt 1665, and here's the odd part: the lettering is definitely gilt but it's a bright brassy gilt, not the deep rich orange/honey gilt like my 6536. 

And take a close look, there are apparent "water drop" marks where it left "gilt droplets" on the brown background (this is why the dial was surrendered to the A.D.)   It's almost like it leaked and the droplets affected the lacquer.  But how would that reduce the opacity/tint of the background base paint?  I definitely agree it would affect the lacquer's gloss finish.

post-32-0-19117700-1366215296_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I usually drive to the countryside, take the watch, pour a bit of gasoline on it, set it on fire and throw it into the biggest and deepest lake there is.

Then I take out my COMEX diving suit and start the hunt. Bought it on VRF from some French guy at a bargain...Most of the time I'm wearing an old Noob Sub from Neil, so I don't stay in the water too long. Bezel is turning splendidly, but the lume sucks.

It takes me 6-7 hours to locate the watch on the bottom of the lake, which apparently is the exact amount of time the dial needs to turn tropical...try it yourself if you don't believe me.... ;)