When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Basel 2013

DreambreaX

Damn!!! Five minutes after I finally get a genuine bezel and insert for my GMTIIC, Rolex comes along and changes the colors. i do like the Blue/Black insert. Not much else in the Rolex Basel 2013 lineup floats my boat!!

I love what they did with the new GMTIIC bezel. Now, you can finally differentiate the current GMT from the current Sub at a quick glance (I have been wondering how long it would take them to correct that)

post-3175-0-31242300-1366820966_thumb.jp

post-3175-0-78569900-1366820957_thumb.jp

& the new ceramic bezel (with blue glacier dial) for this platinum Daytona, now with AR crystal :good: , is certainly in keeping with the new corporate look

post-3175-0-99726900-1366820976_thumb.jp

post-3175-0-45887500-1366820984_thumb.jp

But the most interesting thing about these new, Basel-inspired changes is the inclusion of & history about the Paul Newman Daytona on Rolex's website. It is great to see Rolex taking some type of interest (no, they are not re-releasing the Newman Daytona - it is just for marketing purposes) in their vintage classics ;)

post-3175-0-18755700-1366820992_thumb.jp

newmanonnewman0142__-2_tonemapped_alt1_z

Rolex needs to wake up. They could have released a new stainless steel daytona, you know the ones people actually buy and wear, instead of a 60 gazillion dollar baby blue dial monstrosity. They have so many great dial choices for the gold models, and imo they seriously dropped the ball with not updating their current ss daytona line. Who in their right mind is going to fork over the price of a new european sports car for an ugly platinum daytona? Why did they even bother? If they listen to what their customers actually want (new Pepsi gmt, updated ss daytona line, a few throwback models, etc) maybe they would be better off.. They will still sell a ton of watches regardless of what they do but I think that if they were heading in this direction back in the 50's and 60's they wouldn't have the following that they have now.

If they listen to what their customers actually want (new Pepsi gmt, updated ss daytona line, a few throwback models, etc) maybe they would be better off.. They will still sell a ton of watches regardless of what they do but I think that if they were heading in this direction back in the 50's and 60's they wouldn't have the following that they have now.

As with companies like post-Jobs Apple or Bangle-era BMW, it's hard to question their, er, questionable decisions, because they can easily point to their success.  Apple's market cap is ridiculously huge, while flame-surfaced sedans broke sales records.   Right now, I'm reading a lot of speculation that the marketing wizards at Rolex are holding off from releasing a red/blue ceramic bezel in order to build demand, skim the early adopters who just have to have a two-tone bezel, &c. &c.  I would believe that if I could point to a recent Rolex release that made me say, "That's exactly what we've been waiting for!"  I certainly can't think of one.

I agree with you that they really need to consider the counterfactual:  Make what people are asking for, for a change, and see how that works out.

I like the GMT, but I'm a fan of the big orange hand Explorer II - they gave me what I wanted to see last year. 

I would believe that if I could point to a recent Rolex release that made me say, "That's exactly what we've been waiting for!"  I certainly can't think of one.

For me, that was the last year's big orange hand watch. 

I never liked Yachtmaster before, so this one comes as an improvement to me. 

The day-date filler between the lugs looks weird to me - I'm used to seeing the circle of the case completed between the lugs. Here they have some filler piece of gold to fill the space between case and strap. If I had to choose, I'd take the blue strap and dial - but I'm much more oriented to a stainless DJ anyway.

Of the whole collection for this year? GMT is the one that strikes me as most classic, DayDate the most tasteful, Yachtmaster the most modern, and Pearlmaster the most What-Were-They-Thinking.

Edited by vmarks

Damn!!! Five minutes after I finally get a genuine bezel and insert for my GMTIIC, Rolex comes along and changes the colors. i do like the Blue/Black insert. Not much else in the Rolex Basel 2013 lineup floats my boat!!

its still better buy gen ceramic than when you buy a GEN ROLEX GMT lol