When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So it turns out I prefer rubber (5512 Gilt/PCG content)

bones

hs7R2eeh.png

I think it's fair to say that I've built most variations of vintage Rolex over the past few years. The early pieces were basic, a lot of big crown pieces. I used them primarily as you don't have to spend the time re-working crownguards. Out of any task that is involved in building a vintage Rolex piece, the crownguards are the most tedious. Re-shaping them can be relatively quick, but re-finishing the sides and the case to remove tooling marks is possibly the bane of my existence. I'm continuing to refine how I work and the accuracy and build quality. I'm not afraid to say that there are pieces that have left my workbench that I'm not 100% satisfied with but that were worked to the best of my ability with the tools that I have or had at the time.  

The problem with my builds over the past few years is that I've not really connected with a lot of them. I will build what I think I want and then very rarely does one capture my passion. Some notable exceptions that I would love to have back in the collection would be my first proper 1655 Explorer II build, my blue no date Tudor Snowflake 9401/0, or Debellums 1680 MBK. Of course two of those were builds for other people, and the Snowflake left me to create some funds for my gen Pelagos. 

So where does that leave me today? Well, last night I finished up a build I've been working on for a few months. Something that I feel might be with me for a while (although I've said that before!). Of course by the title of the thread you might have a rough idea what's coming. I've always kind of thought that when it comes to vintage pieces they need patina. My early pieces looked like they'd spent a few decades being brutalised on front lines or abandoned at the bottom of an oil sump. Soon I learned that part of ageing is not always being used and abused. A lot of the pieces that I've created recently could be considered 'pre-loved heirlooms'. The wear is there, but it's subtle. The soft edges of the case and bracelet that come from decades of being worn against skin, the ever so slight cream colour to the tritium lume. These are things that appeal to me. Anyone can take a set of files to a case or bleach to an insert but making something look genuinely old is an art. I'm not saying I've achieved it, just that I aspire to it. 

This watch is an exception to that rule. I wanted over polished, I wanted faded, I wanted corroded and mis-used. I also broke from a generality of  mine that my Rolex have to be on bracelets. I've found the tropic rubber strap to be infinitely more comfortable (although I do have a folded link bracelet being modded to fit the case). So without further ado, I present my 5512 Pointed Crown Guard, 4 liner, gilt Rolex Submariner. And yes, that is genuine rust on the hand set.:thumbsup:

9PoU96z.jpg

k0c2Jcr.jpg

PZ4xhVA.jpg

eilcQTO.jpg

5gwEQkc.jpg

vnnWVK5.jpg

MWJsT4j.jpg

e1RC41e.jpg

Grv9yAR.jpg

dh751Yg.jpg

Oqb0nz9.jpg

n5MlKw7.jpg

Yg4DDFI.jpg

WdjWIyF.jpg

Ezg0dKi.jpg

bGSO7xJ.jpg

I am not sure about the rusty hands (never seen that much rust on gen hands before), but I love the case & dial. Beautiful. This watch needs a good bracelet, preferably gen or Yuki-quality. Nice work.

I was going for the corroded look (http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/ferdelance211/MONTRES%20SITE%20INTERNET/5510gilt.jpg

) but really struggled to get an even finish on the hands. Testing still ongoing shall we say :)

I like your faded insert, and dial, and the over polished look of the case. Tho I can't say I'm a huge fan of rubber straps, as I kinda prefer stainless.

In my work place health and safety regs don't permit me to wear metal straps. So I have to at least have options for work as well. 

I was going for the corroded look (http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/ferdelance211/MONTRES%20SITE%20INTERNET/5510gilt.jpg

) but really struggled to get an even finish on the hands. Testing still ongoing shall we say :)

I think you will find that baking (with a pinch of iodine) results in an appearance similar to the hands in your link

0341-1.jpg

Grrr, I went out for a walk with the dog in the sunshine, came back and noticed some condensation on the inside of the crystal. So it's sat overnight drying out, i sealed the edges of the crystal with some UV glue, replaced the caseback gasket with a thicker one and hopefully that should do it. 

Seems to be fine now, I fully de-cased it and left it all airing overnight. Took the time to remove a few dust particles on the dial and inner crystal. I also polished up the springbar tips and fitted a cartel folded bracelet this morning. Sits nice on that as well. 

Seems to be fine now, I fully de-cased it and left it all airing overnight. Took the time to remove a few dust particles on the dial and inner crystal. I also polished up the springbar tips and fitted a cartel folded bracelet this morning. Sits nice on that as well. 

Hi R, Michael at CWP can indeed supply the solid brass hands to fit the eta movements

M