When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Royal Oak or PP Nautilus

I own both of these watches.  The Nautilus was one of the original MBW's offered some years back.  Without a doubt the finest rep I have ever owned, quality wise.  

The Royal Oak I own is the new version of the jumbo 15300 with improved lume and bracelet.  I love this watch as well.  I waited over a year for this watch to be made.  (Black dial)

Both watches are Gerald Genta designs, and both are icon pieces.

I am not familiar with the cartel Nautilus models but my feeling is they are probably good watches as well.

Out of the box???? I would have to say the Nautilus.

I had some issues with my 15300 that required repair to bring it up to speed.  However it is now a regular on my wrist.  

Both of these watches are classic pieces.  You can't go wrong.

Edited by jeff g

I reckon you need a good sized wrist to do the AP , the RO wears bigger Lug to Lug that the ROO. I had a (possibly WM9 version ) RO and found it too big for my wrist it didn't sit well where as the ROO was fine. It was though a mighty fine watch and I was sad to see it go. The PP's I think sit better I had an older cheaper version on Leather and the case wore better IMO.  

They are both great.  The Nautilus with bracelet is terrific, but the strap option version needs work (you need an OEM strap and you need to mod the lugs to fit the OEM strap).

I like them both very much!  Personally, I think I enjoy my Rosegold Nautilus with OEM strap the most.  But that's just me.  And yes, my mind changes often so my comment here is frankly useless haha!

Cheers

img9989d.jpg

k130730.jpg

the new Nautilus on bracelet are more accurate than the AP RO. Both of course fail on the movement with open caseback but who looks at those anyway.

The crystal on the Nautilus seems to be a little more clear than the RO. I'm thinking about single AR for mine. 

I've got all 3, the Aquanaut gets the most wrist time. The Nautilus is better made than the RO IMHO, and the RO wears a bit too small on my 7.25" wrist. So, although a beautiful watch, the RO hardly ever gets worn.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I think I've decided on the Nautilus for now, a RO much later. I see that the dealers have 2 different versions. 1 is an MBW version with closed caseback but the date window seems to be clear to the middle. Whereas there a NOOB (?) version that has an open caseback with the stuck-on logo on the rotor but a closer to gen location of date..... so which is a better version? Leaning towards the MBW.

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice, Nautilus is a better to start with. There is no Noob version Nautilus. The one with closed back is an old and inaccurate version.

The latest and best version is from V6 factory with a correct shape of the rotor but with the logo still being a sticker.

There is a new version of Aquanaut with Swiss 2824-2 where the logo is carved into the rotor like genuine, but the logo is too small. 

What I ended up doing is getting the latest V6 Nautilus and I asked the dealer to switch the rotors for me. So he installed the rotor from Aquanaut into the movement in Nautilus. Still far off from the gen but it looks pretty nice this way, at least for me....