When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This watch stinks!

CptTripps

You ever buy a used watch and the smell of the watch is so offensive, you can't wear it?

I bought a watch a month or so ago (not here) and the smell of Pachouli was so strong, I could hardly stand it. I ended up selling the watch (for other reasons) but had put the rubber strap on another watch. I put that Panerai on this morning, and in the car on the way to work, caught a whif of the band, and it nearly knocked me over. (And time-warped me back to my hippie high-school girlfriend!)

So I scrubbed and scrubbed the rubber strap in the kitchen here at the office, and I can't get it out. I'm about to throw the strap away.

...and I'm feeling REAL bad about the guy I ended up selling that watch to. I hope it didn't smell like this. (Or worse yet, I hope he doesn't think I'm a non-showering hippie.) 

All of the above Mike. I graduated HS in 1993. That means that I was too late for the 80's hairspray and sexual promiscuity, and too early for "PINK" and "ABERCROMBIE" written on the back-side of tight sweat-shorts. I blame Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vetter for the "5 layers of flanel" fashion craze I had to endure.

• Like 1

That stinky watch reminded me of a watch I owned several years back, a gen Breitling Chronomat with a leather strap. The deployant buckle straps were expensive so I wore the heck out of them. During the summer, that strap got dirty, sweaty and it stunk like a teenagers tennis shoes!!! Not much you can do with a nasty stinking leather strap except throw it away. And , no it never reminded me of any of my early girlfriends, some of them got pretty sweaty, but they never smelled like that!!!

So I'm thinking its the rubber they use. I ran home to swap the rubber strap for something else (yes, it's that bad) and the other rubber rep strap smells bad too. Different bad, but still awful.

Guess that is something to say about 2nd-hand rep rubber.

That stinky watch reminded me of a watch I owned several years back, a gen Breitling Chronomat with a leather strap. The deployant buckle straps were expensive so I wore the heck out of them. During the summer, that strap got dirty, sweaty and it stunk like a teenagers tennis shoes!!! Not much you can do with a nasty stinking leather strap except throw it away. And , no it never reminded me of any of my early girlfriends, some of them got pretty sweaty, but they never smelled like that!!!

hahaha.....got my first leather strap a month ago and i'm tend to sweat a lot. sounds like that'll be me

Think about the math......China has strict birth control laws, 2 billion people, at least 1/2 of them having sex nightly, most use condoms, China recycles everything, do you think they throw all those used condoms into the trash...??

Next time you put a

Chinese made rubber watch strap on, remember this post!!! :bangin:  :bangin:

Think about the math......China has strict birth control laws, 2 billion people, at least 1/2 of them having sex nightly, most use condoms, China recycles everything, do you think they throw all those used condoms into the trash...??

Next time you put a

Chinese made rubber watch strap on, remember this post!!! :bangin:  :bangin:

I.... I.... I never thought about it like that  :g:

An acquaintance of mine used to sell used panties online. He would buy a load from the cheap shops and leave them in his dog basket for weeks on end.

He had many happy customers willing to believe they were genuinely belonging to sexy office secretaries.

Just saying

Masmannan

Well on general principal I find that used rubbers are smelly...

8)

Yeah, I tend to opt for the vanilla-treated rubber. Although the smell can be rather sickly I find it's vastly better than the pungent odour of natural rubber.

Oddly, I've found that cheap rubber straps don't seem to have much of a smell if any at all. It's mainly the more expensive (natural) rubber straps that whiff a bit.