When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps that are waterproofed adequately for diving?

darkdashing

I take all my reps for swimming (Vintage Rolex and some modern Rolex). All modern had been tested (TD purchase), some before and some after which means that some where waterproof out of the box. The vintages are custom build and haven't been tested yet but will be some day...anyway...all will be taken into the water since I'm a 24/7 watchwearer :D

I had a BP SD 16600 that was waterproof up to 100m out of the box. I had an Explorer II 16570 that passed the pressure test at 100m after getting some grease to the gaskets...same with a Noobmariner LV.

I take all my reps for swimming (Vintage Rolex and some modern Rolex). All modern had been tested (TD purchase), some before and some after which means that some where waterproof out of the box. The vintages are custom build and haven't been tested yet but will be some day...anyway...all will be taken into the water since I'm a 24/7 watchwearer :D

I had a BP SD 16600 that was waterproof up to 100m out of the box. I had an Explorer II 16570 that passed the pressure test at 100m after getting some grease to the gaskets...same with a Noobmariner LV.

Where are you getting your reps pressure tested to 100 Atmos? Curious, as that would require a very serious tester, much more expensive than my little tester that will go to about 6-7 atmos max.

Interesting thanks guys.  

The real question is not "are high quality reps waterproof"

The question is "did the guy who assembled my watch in China remember to install all of the rubber seals"

That is why no one can give you a straight answer. The real answer here is You can not know if the actual watch you receive is waterproof until you test it.

Yes they will be fine to dive with. I test all mine to 9bar and they pass without problems, the only types ive had problems with is the vintage pieces with the plastic crystals. All the sapphire crystals ive never had a problem with. Panerai153 he said he had them tested to 100m 330ft not that tough to do. A tester like that only costs around 750$+ and up. Depending on the model. 100atm=660ft which those testers are alittle more expensive around 2.5k+
Sorry for the mistake, I was thinking 100 atmos, not meters. 100 meters should handle just about any recreational diving that one would want to attempt. As jkay said, every rep has to be taken on an individual basis, just because someone said that their identical rep from the same TD is fine for scuba to 100 feet doesn't mean that yours will survive a dunk in the kids wading pool!!! If you plan to get a rep wet, it ought to be pressure tested, or at the very least have all the seals inspected and greased, and have the missing ones replaced.

Ahhhhhh, I miss the snorkeling off Oahu. My favorite was down around the aquarium. I spent 2 weeks in the water with the Frosty Flake and the Big Dazza 6538 (both vintages) and never had a lick of trouble.

And they look HAWT underwater too! :tu:

Would typical practice be to grease seals and check fit etc before they test?

I'm just wondering about the order in which to do it. I want to waterproof but if I can do it locally I will. Modders want 70usd to waterproof.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Panerai153 he said he had them tested to 100m 330ft not that tough to do. A tester like that only costs around 750$+ and up. Depending on the model. 100atm=660ft which those testers are alittle more expensive around 2.5k+ 

Wow that's expensive. How about a tester like this: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/High-Quality-Watch-Waterproof-Tester-Meter-Tool-6ATM-Water-Resistance-Case-/271225089197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f26466cad

Is that any good you think?

The real question is not "are high quality reps waterproof"

The question is "did the guy who assembled my watch in China remember to install all of the rubber seals"

That is why no one can give you a straight answer. The real answer here is You can not know if the actual watch you receive is waterproof until you test it.

That's a great point.  If, say, the seals are off, can one fix them easily?

Would typical practice be to grease seals and check fit etc before they test?

I'm just wondering about the order in which to do it. I want to waterproof but if I can do it locally I will. Modders want 70usd to waterproof.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Think about what you are asking. Even a common home handyman charges 75 US dollars an hour to work at your house.

I believe Vaccum in Florida only asks 50 to waterproof.

I have one like that,working fine to test up to 3-4 bar.

3-4 bar will do fine, to use the watch swimming.  :)