When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC bracelet Rusted (!?!?)

vibramute64

Ok, pretty bummed...went to wear my beautiful TC Sub yesterday and to my surprise, rust on the bracelet!

I've never wore this diving, in the shower, or in the rain. It's been hot and sticky (typical Chicago summer) but I'm very good about wiping down my watches after wearing them. It's been in rotation with a few other watches, none of the others are showing any rust.

I can't say enough about the watch otherwise. It's stunning, but this rust is not acceptable.

Can anybody offer advise as to how to remove the rust?

post-53069-0-18857000-1375031457_thumb.j

post-53069-0-49236200-1375031505_thumb.j

I take it you emailed Thomas first before posting this thread?  What did he say about this? 

Are the area of the link sides polished, or brushed?  If polished, cape cod will get that off.

Edited by SSTEEL

I bought the watch used of another forum. It was a week old. If I had purchased directly from TC, I'd try to get it exchanged for another.

I'm really just looking for advise how to remove the rust (if possible) and also to see if others have run into the same problem.

jesus stainless steel shouldn't rust

Exactly, I am guessing its dirt, not rust, and the moisture in the air has possibly caused sweating in the watchbox?  I too rub down my watches, but do also ensure any polished areas are left with a mirror finish, and don't touch my watch with my fingers/skin when putting in my box, I put gloves on, sounds anal I know, but thats me.

Does sound crazy though this rust like residue.

I bought the watch used of another forum. It was a week old. If I had purchased directly from TC, I'd try to get it exchanged for another.

I'm really just looking for advise how to remove the rust (if possible) and also to see if others have run into the same problem.

I already advised you to use Cape Cod to remove it.  

Seeing as you purchased it from M2M, maybe ask the seller if they swapped the bracelet for an inferior one, and fitted the TC clasp to it.

Edited by SSTEEL

I already advised you to use Cape Cod to remove it.  

Seeing as you purchased it from M2M, maybe ask the seller if they swapped the bracelet for an inferior one, and fitted the TC clasp to it.

The seller has over 20 positive feedbacks and is generally regarded as 'one of the good guys' around here and a few other places. He didn't mention a thing about bracelet swapping so I'd say that is VERY doubtful. The watch was sold to me exactly as he got it from TC, the only mod being a gen insert.

I didn't see anything about cape cod in your other posts. I will give it a try (but first I have to get some).

Should not rust. I have taken several TC bracelets (93160 and 93250 all versions) diving is salt water with no issues. Not even rinsing for hours afterwards. Could just be oxidized dirt. 3m green pad to rebrush if needed. Soak the bracelet in soapy water an let it sit. Then use a gentle nail brush and see what happens.

• Like 1

Just a thought, is your watch storage box a cheap type, with thin, clear plastic display top?  If so, these are quite dusty inside due to the cheap material used in the lining of it.  I purchased one myself, and when it arrived, the inside was caked with fibres/dust from the material.  Had to use a can of air to clear it.

Looks more like  dirt. I've never had a TC watch or bracelet, but I've probably had a hundred + SS bracelets, and I wear them everywhere, in every condition. mine have been immersed or covered in salt water, grease, gas, diesel, cow sh*t, you name it, plus dust, dirt sweat and maybe a few tears!! Everything from Scuba to repairing farm machinery. I've had then look like this one, but a good scrubbing with warm soapy water and a brush does the trick. I have never seen stainless steel rust.

Looks more like  dirt. I've never had a TC watch or bracelet, but I've probably had a hundred + SS bracelets, and I wear them everywhere, in every condition. mine have been immersed or covered in salt water, grease, gas, diesel, cow sh*t, you name it, plus dust, dirt sweat and maybe a few tears!! Everything from Scuba to repairing farm machinery. I've had then look like this one, but a good scrubbing with warm soapy water and a brush does the trick. I have never seen stainless steel rust.

Cow sh*t huh? I bet there's a hell of a story there. Haha

I had a WM9 two-tone sitting in a beautiful box. First time I took it out, I noticed it had tarnished. Put it back in the box and a couple of weeks later, I took out and more tarnish! I was shocked!! I cleaned it with some product I forget the name and since then, I keep that watch in a Rolex green pouch. Have never seen a spec of tarnish on it since.

Strangely, I think it was the box!

• Like 1

Stainless steel does rust, look at the numerous roles cases with pits under the bezel, or caseback. Although that may be more of a metal to metal contact issue. Either way, I agree with the rest, if its stainless you won't see surface rust occurring like that.

Should not rust. I have taken several TC bracelets (93160 and 93250 all versions) diving is salt water with no issues. Not even rinsing for hours afterwards. Could just be oxidized dirt. 3m green pad to rebrush if needed. Soak the bracelet in soapy water an let it sit. Then use a gentle nail brush and see what happens.

This is what I'm looking for. Will take your advise and report back. Thanks!

Never had any of mine do this mate and like the other guys have said mine have been in and out of salt water too  :partytime:

I agree just use soap and water mate it will come off, cc will affect the brushed finish on the sides, if you can give it a good clean with a microfibre towel too to dry it that should be all you need to do  ;)  my watchboxes are both pretty good but I do have a couple sachets of silica gel in each of them just to be safe. You'll find it's just got a bit 'sweaty' in the box thats all :inverted: 

*Update*

I was able to clean the bracelet. It took a fine scratch remover that I use on my car called Scratch-X for lubricant (just the smallest dab) and a 3M synthetic steel wool pad (0000 fine). I masked the top and bottom of the bracelet with painters tape so only the effected edges were exposed and brushed it until the crud was gone then buffed it with a microfiber cloth. I have to say, it really looked like surface rust to me. I've done my share of crudding up a bracelet and it never looked like this. Had it been dirt/sweat, my finger nail should have been able to get it to budge and a damp cloth with some elbow grease should have removed it.....I'll say the verdict is still out as I continue to wear it.

• Like 1