When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Simplicity and Function personified. Explorer 1016

denimhead

They are "Sub" springbars and usually need to be shortened a bit.  The "explorer" springbars have tips that are shorter.  Jules Borel used to carry them but after I had a bunch of them on backorder for over a year I got a message that they were NLA...

They are "Sub" springbars and usually need to be shortened a bit. The "explorer" springbars have tips that are shorter. Jules Borel used to carry them but after I had a bunch of them on backorder for over a year I got a message that they were NLA...

Yes im used to gen watches and im not so much into reps yet. I thought something was wrong here, well he can always file down the aub springbars to the right lenght.

But (!) it's not unusual. You will find genuine 1016 Explorers with these long Sub springbars (23-9291), it seems that some watchmakers don't know the others exist or simply don't have them in stock and therefore use the wrong springbars ;)

The dial got jacked up last night when I botched a re-lume job, but here's my 1016 Space Dweller. (Yes, I know that's the wrong bracelet...working on that too.)

The build started with a 16200 case, used a Clark crystal, aftermarket bezel, Gen 1560 Butterfly out of a 1401, Gen 5513 hands, and an Ingod44 dial.

I should have the new dial this weekend, and plan on re-luming the hands to match the dial.

post-53458-0-39552200-1375900895_thumb.j

::: Man...that's the worst pic I've taken of a watch in a long time! :::

The dial got jacked up last night when I botched a re-lume job, but here's my 1016 Space Dweller. (Yes, I know that's the wrong bracelet...working on that too.)

The build started with a 16200 case, used a Clark crystal, aftermarket bezel, Gen 1560 Butterfly out of a 1401, Gen 5513 hands, and an Ingod44 dial.

I should have the new dial this weekend, and plan on re-luming the hands to match the dial.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

::: Man...that's the worst pic I've taken of a watch in a long time! :::

what hands did you use here?

Jesus, when did this ad come out? Notice the pricepoint?

According to the picture it should be from 1964-'69, so that means a price of $1300 ($1400 with bracelet). However I wonder about that price, I've found older models with a hangtag that says $335.

And you have to keep in mind that this was from a time when Rolex was not such a stupid brand it is now, they made tool watches that even craftsmen could afford (if they saved the money ;) ).

Edited by 1680

what hands did you use here?

Gen hands from a 5513. I re-lumed them because the patina wasn't even on all three. I'll be re-doing the dial and hands this weekend. I've learned a few things about the right way to lime hands, so I'll be able to do a better job this time around.