When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken criteria

ghost

WTF we know by parts/mods listed what ever they are called, think about who we buy from super, ultra ,best yet,updated and what the hell is with the decimals for AP's they get like 3.1/4.1 or something just go to four or five for Christ sake. (must be special!)

I'd say you guys are all wrong... :p

Franken is meant as a short from of Frankenstein.

So...the use of Franken in the meaning of Mary Shelley would be correct if the meant watch has been built using parts from different sources.

Just like Dr. Frankenstein in Shelleys story did!

He didn't care if all parts for his monster came only from one gen John Doe...everything that fit's his needs has been taken!!

So from this point of view one has to call every custom built watch a Frankenwatch. No matter if there is a single gen part that has been added or not.

A modded watch can be one that wasn't custom built but e.g. the case has been modded or the dial or the inlay...you name it...

A watch witch gen parts should be called a Genenstein (if there really is the need to give it a different name and not call it Franken but with gen parts) since there is at least one gen part with the watch.

All the super- hyper - duper terms are only used to put ones watch above all others...needless I'd say. If it's a good watch it would be sold without these terms...if it's a bad watch no one would buy even with the terms...

If you are going down the Mary Shelley route then it will have to be called

Monster watch.... uber monster..... or super monster....

or my personal favourite ....monster munch...

Other than that.... the term franken is no different to terms like Tri-Compax or deployment.... blah blah blah.... different strokes to different folks

Call it what you want...if you are selling....and let the buyer decide what he is buying..... :)

• 3 weeks later...

See. The last time i tried putting it diplomatically on a member's potential sale thread (he'd called his watch a franken coz it was tricked out with a gen crown), that it should not be labelled a franken, i had other guys telling me i was unfriendly etc

My point is, one shouldn't be putting small things like crowns etc on a watch and labeling it a franken. Coz the next step is listing it at an unfair price. Not everyone is complicit in this, but i dare say more than a few are.

Now there's a thread on RG, in which a guy is selling a "franken" 127. Franken? Why? Coz it has a GEN STRAP. Now it may be that he was really mistaken and led to believe that such a thing would qualify as a franken. I don't know him, and i certainly don't mean to insult or ridicule the guy. But if that were the case, i don't think i own any stock reps....only frankens. 

Again, i think the danger in this is that some will ask for astronomical prices and fleece the unknowing uninitiated.

I feel frankens (with gen dials/movements et al) are worth the dollar coz one can always explant the gen parts and sell them on. Not so much with the others.

Anyway, enough with the rant/diatribe.

I feel we should make the move, and start labeling watches equipped with gen dials or movements as Ubi or Cote-de-Ubi?