When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mail Order Retail Therapy Recovery Clinic

fraggle42

It isn't just watches, my friends.

Watches, straps, movements, tools, watch winders, MIG welders, pens, books, gel seats, microscopes, heavy duty power sockets and wall boxes, 12V LED car spot lights...

I just love browsing through EBay, Alibaba, online shops, Amazon, Google and anywhere else I can, talking myself into "needing" something, spending days researching something out and nailing down exactly what I "need" and finding the perfect fit, ordering it and then waiting for the delivery.

Every morning at work I listen out for the front door aroundabout a certain time as I know that'll be the postman, and also when I see a delivery van drive up. And then I sit there half concentrating on what I'm doing, half concentrating to hear if I can hear Jo's (the receptionist / secretary) footsteps walking towards me to hand over a parcel.

Lately she's taken to leaving the large parcels next to her desk where they're closer to the front door and only tells me when I'm on the way home in the evening, so if I'm expecting something big, a couple of times a day I'll wander the long way around to the kitchen so I can see if there's a box there that might be for me...

I need two little metal adapters turned up to fit motorbike pegs to my bike, and I'm looking at £600 hobby lathes so I can make them myself.

If this carries on I'll end up homeless but surrounded by millions of cardboard boxes!

I definitely think we should set up a clinic where online shopping addicts can recover! Help!

• Like 1

I can relate. First it was photography gear, computers and mountain bikes. Then i moved to fish tanks, from very common tropical fish to expensive shrimps :fool:  Spent fortune on that..Now i have at least couple orders on the go at any given time. Ebay, Amazon + million independent online shops. Probably only moving to place like this would solve the issue:

post-52132-0-06294300-1378644130_thumb.j

• Like 1

Definitely in the club ! Last week decided needed a small pocket knife to keep in pants pocket, come in handy. Well three on the way could not decide which one! Mind you I have a extensive amount of larger ones and swords and machetes............... :bangin: :bangin: :bangin:

Oh by the way also been collecting vintage (1940-1960 mostly) manual wind watches lately, will post pics when I get a chance. :partytime:

I'm glad I'm not alone, it seems so sad getting excited just waiting for a parcel, regardless of what's in it.

Deckard - think of the basements you could build there!!! Loads of workshops, and talk about a vertical market! :yeah:

Pete - I was thinking about seeing if I could get interested in box collecting, or maybe something even cheaper like air collecting, anything, so long as it's cheap and still makes deliveries!! :pray:

Hmm, I wonder if I could bottle some Swiss air and then sell it so anyone can build their own "franken" - rep watch + swiss air!

• Like 1

Definitely in the club ! Last week decided needed a small pocket knife to keep in pants pocket, come in handy. Well three on the way could not decide which one! Mind you I have a extensive amount of larger ones and swords and machetes............... :bangin: :bangin: :bangin:

Supposedly we're not allowed to have nice swords and knives on display in the UK. Just in case some toerag breaks in and they could be used to cut someone.

Duh.

I've still got a samurai in the living room, another upstairs, broad sword in the dining room and a few knives scattered around, no ones ever said anything about them apart from compliments.

I can certainly relate to all of you, I have had lots of hobbies over the years, some pretty expensive, including this watch obsession that's been going on for probably around 45 years. As  I get older, I find that my desires to have "things" has lessened somewhat. Pretty much confined to watches and power tools and equipment that  I need to maintain a house and around 20 acres of property. I could probably fill a warehouse with stuff I have bought over the years, things that I "had to have" at the time, but pretty quickly realized, weren't essential. Most of us have way more than we need to get by with, it's just that uncontrollable urge to hit the "Pay Now" button that get's most of us in trouble!!

• Like 1

Maybe we could use our contacts in GZ to start a line in rep cardboard boxes...first off we need to find a material that looks like cardboard feels like cardboard but I don't think we will be able to put anything in them... After all they will be reps!

We Could save a fortune but we would need a new phrase for best OTB !!! :)

Need to ask admin to create a new sub forum too so we can post our boxes :)

• Like 1

Sign me up for immediate treatment!

I used to collect vinyls (4000) and cds (1200) but sold them all. Regret selling the vinyls though.

I collected anything Star Wars related. Sold everything.

Now I am into headphones.

When it comes to watches I only buy what I intend to keep forever (or at least that's what I try to tell myself).

I started collecting gens, but found that I'd have to move into a cardboard box to be able to afford them (here we go again) so decided to start on reps....... to go along with camera gear, cars and their assorted bits, mountain and road bikes, surf boards, fine wines (well fine enough to drink anyway) and a beer belly. The last one I'm looking to trade, so if anyone has a Speedmaster they'd trade for my keg let me know.