When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Updating Goldie

freddy333

This week, I will be converting my gold Newman '39 from ETA power to Valjoux. I am awaiting the V72, which should arrive this week. In the meantime, here is a quick set of pics showing the new (custom MQ) dial in the old case. Like the MQ in my '41, this dial also has that luscious black texture only seen in early Newmans

TestFitting1_zps8a7c1a70.jpg

TestFitting3_zpsa1a2c89e.jpg

TestFitting2_zps80d92276.jpg

For those not around during the initial build, the case is a custom design made for me by DW (it required quite a bit of additional work upon arrival). Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication & DW had the case made for screw (Oyster) pushers instead of pump (non-Oyster) pushers. Otherwise, the pushers, crown, hands, rivet bracelet & crystal are gen. Assuming the V72 arrives on time & in good, working condition, barring any unforseen issues (which I do not expect), the transformation should be complete by the end of the week.

Verrrrrrrrry tasty indeed.  There's one small thing about the dial that I'm sure bugs you too, but it's 99.999999999% there.  Getting MQ to make that one small change would doubtless have the next version coming back with the coronet on upside down, or worse.

Nice!

Thanks all for the kind words. :notworthy:

Nanuq - Actually, the dial has a few issues. But, fortunately, all are relatively small & none which should raise suspicion if spotted under normal circumstances out in the wild. But that moonscape-like black paint & thickly painted lettering, generally only seen on early 'tonas, overshadows the dial's trivially scant warts. You just do not see this kind of detail on aftermarket/fake Daytonas. ;)

&, yes, having the dial redone (again, this is actually the 3rd try) comes with the risk of ending up with more serious issues, not to mention still more months of waiting time.

Tracking says its donor ticker is due to arrive today, so I may have an important update tomorrow.

Nice!!  Can't wait.... let's see some oblique photos of that dial without glass over it.  I want to *feel* that texture coming through the pics.....

It almost looks like a layer of thin black glove leather.  Tasty.

looks like a gold plated bracelet?

Rolex made a small run of 19mm, gold plated rivet bracelets in the early 60s, mostly for Datejusts & OPs. Although rare & very similar in outward appearance to gold 62xx Daytona bracelets, these are not quite as costly.

Funny how turning a certain age makes you contemplate that first Gold watch purchase.

Actually, I got my 1st gold watch (a 1930s Longine tank) when I began collecting about 30 years ago & have had this (fitted with a 7750-powered Daytona) for a few years. Because it is gold, I rarely wear it (though it retains a permanent place in my collection).

• 4 weeks later...

I did a test fitting to be sure the movement fit the case (it does) WristieTestwithoutchronohand0031_zpsedc3 But a few things remain to be done -

1. I need to re-epoxy the chrono seconds hand

2. I need to modify a pair of bridles to lock the movement into the case (the movement lacks the Rolex locking screws)

3. As you can see, the minute totalizer pinion is slightly off-center, which is due either to the hand tube being bent or the dial hole being cut off-center