When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Selling Watches on eBay?

wiseguy1481

Hey Guys,

What is the "code" and/or rules against selling reps on eBay even if they are called out as a replica?

Or.... what if the watches are 100% GEN but just built with gen parts (i.e., superfranken).

I have two watches that are superfranken that I am taking a big hit on and I am wondering what other options I have such as eBay to sell my watches and try to recoup as much as I can from my builds.

Thoughts?

Hey Guys,

What is the "code" and/or rules against selling reps on eBay even if they are called out as a replica?

Or.... what if the watches are 100% GEN but just built with gen parts (i.e., superfranken).

I have two watches that are superfranken that I am taking a big hit on and I am wondering what other options I have such as eBay to sell my watches and try to recoup as much as I can from my builds.

Thoughts?

You can sell it here. I think anything that is not true gen e.g. superfranken included will be frown on in Ebay. 

If one gave full disclosure about the gen-ness of the parts and build process it might not get the kabosh and all bidders would know what they're getting themselves into purchase wise... but... I think pretty much only the rep crowd (the group you're already marketing too) can appreciate and spend decent money for such pieces. Shortly put - I think you'd likely get less for your watches there than here. The average joe will hear "gen parts assembled" as - a nice looking but must be junky watch. We know better. You've got some REALLY pieces - it may just take more patience to get what they're worth here. I remember one member had a killer 6K PN up for sale... wanted it myself but didn't have the fund then. When I did - it was gone... he stayed pretty true his price and someone got a nice piece. Know it's hard to play the waiting game - esp. when there are new watches you want to buy or build - but I think ebay won't help you out. If you do try - don't go auction route without full disclosure, a no returns stated policy and a minimum bid in place - could lose your shirt. Or... try a BIN sale. Both might get killed by ebay - but hard to say. Best of luck... hang in there...

Echoing above statement, the bay is not going to work out well. That being said you have some unbelievable builds but at a certian price point all Rep sales run into the gen roadblock. Meaning they can get a Gen for that $ not the one you are selling (make or model) but a pretty good one. After loseing my shirt a few times I have put a price cap of 600 on reps after that you gonna take some big hits. B)

PS yes patience will be required as in a  whole lot, but a buyer who loves it enough will come along. :clap2:

I may be wrong, but what I have read is that the person/company that hold the intelectual rights of the item has to contact e-bay and tell them it's not authentic before it will get removed.

It might be the reason why many of the items that get flagged here in the forum as e-bay fakes go on to be sold despite many of us reporting them.

I think the best way to get an item removed from e-bay is to let the company know rather then e-bay, anyway, I digress :)

Good luck with shifting your stuff ;)

If you cannot get what you need to recoup your costs ..then sometimes it works to part out your watches and sell parts individually....

That way you attract more guys and you can offer the parts on gen forums, rep forums and ebay :)

Avoid using ebay...it isnt crciket to offer that sort of stuff on there however guys do and its your perogative....but even if it dont get pulled I would suggest you could leave yourself open to getting scammed yourself...

i can just picture the conversation going back and forth in a PP dispute...no matter how well you described the item.... so dont just think about the protocols mate think about the riskd you open yourself up to if you sell it... ;)

Gotta say I agree with what has been said already mate, I sell gens on the bay without any worries but reps are strictly for the forum mate, at least our guys know what they are getting and your pretty sure to have no grief either  :inverted:

As Pete has said parting it out is another option, worth looking at if you really have to  ;) best of luck with whatever you decide to do !

I would have to agree with Pete and Sgtguk, Ebay is not the way to go. First off, you aren't going to get the prices you need if you give full disclosure, which you should do. You are going to get a lot of flack from the folks on the gen forums who see your watch as a fake, no matter how many genuine parts it has, short of 100%. they might let an unmarked rep bracelet or NATO strap pass, but it is going to be a problem.Any branded rep part, bracelet, clasp, crown, etc is going to get you in trouble. Second as one of the guys said, no matter how much disclosure you have, invariably, the guy that buys your watch will not have read or claim to not have read your disclosure, he takes the watch to his local Rolex dealer, who tells him "this watch is a fake"!! Now you have a Paypal dispute on your hands.  

That is the big risk of building these "almost genuine" watches, you can easily get to the point where about 99.9% of the forum members are priced out of your price level. I have said it  countless times to folks here who want to build watches that are up there in the 60-80% range of genuine models, you had better like it, because you might play Hell trying to sell it. You have a couple of really, really nice TT's, both would be nice to have if you are looking for a TT. Unfortunately, they are the "red headed stepchild" of the contemporary submariners, and even with genuine TT's, they are often difficult to sell.

Personally, I would entertain offers down to where you are not getting slaughtered, and if that doesn't work,  I would part them out and sell all the genuine parts on genuine forums, and the rep parts here. Tough thing to do, but in the long run maybe the best way to get them sold.  

I know how you feel, I have a DRSD that I have over 3K in and my 16613 is well over 2K, by far the most expensive reps  I have ever owned. I know that they are destined to stay with me, as  I know they would never sell for anywhere near what they are worth.

"I would have to agree with Pete and Sgtguk, Ebay is not the way to go."

+1

If I was going to sell a rolex on eBay I would make sure all rolex signed/trademarked parts were genuine for sure. If there were any aftmkt parts (springbars, gaskets, bracelet screws etc) I would note it on the sales blurb. Full disclosure.

One exception could be a refinished dial but it must be on an original rolex dial plate...no Phong, Yuki etc dials because I seriously doubt their Singer, Beyeler etc stamped dial plates are genuine.

eBay has a $100 or $200 watch buying/selling limit for me because of so many crooks.

You sell a nice rolex watch.

All is fine and dandy for a few days.

Then the buyer says you 'misrepresented' the watch and files a complaint.

Of course eBay sides with the buyer.

You give the $$ back.

The watch comes back with a worn out auto wind assembly, beat up bezel, and badly corroded caseback.

You raise he-ll.

The guy says he sent it back because of the bad parts.

You can not prove what really happened so you are $crewed.

Never sell anything on eBay that you can not afford to give away.

Replicas are for replica forums...

Say you sell a real nice replica 5513 with a 1520 to someone in town that you do not know very well...with full disclosure of course.

They are happy.  :)

You are happy.  :)

A few months later the guy sells the 5513 to a rolex Groupie as 'all genuine' for a lot of $$.

The Groupie takes it to a rolex AD and shows it off.

The rolex AD examines it and discovers it has an aftmkt case/dial.

The Groupie goes back to the guy he bought it from and wants his $$ back.

The guy you sold it to tells the Groupie it was sold to him as 'all genuine' and tells the Groupie to get screwed.

The Groupie finds out who the crook bought it from.

The Groupie comes to your house wanting help, $$...or revenge.   :bicycle:    

I am totally agree with PeteM. Once you part them out you should be able to sell those components on the Gen forum in addition to the rep forums like ours.

You could get yourself in trouble if you listed on ebay but you should be able to sell parts on ebay without any issue.

I wish you luck.