When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6538 back in the fold, and off to Spain for the weekend

denimhead

Well you know how it goes with Vintage Rolex, you strive to build the best you can. In my case a Phong based 6538, Gen 1030 movement etc. Then you sell it! I missed the watch that much i decided that i needed another one but being a bit tight for cash at the moment i was interested in seeing if i could put one together on a really tight budget. The recipe is-

Tiger Projects case set, looks the same as the Original slim Silix case so quite pleased with that. Bezels rubbish and nothing close to Gen but with a bit of ageing it does the job.

Stuck with the Tiger crystal as it sat nice and low and is watertight

Aged the Tiger insert to a nice Ghost silver grey

Athaya tube and crown, not pleasant to fit as you need to drill out the existing hole then re-tap it. But worth the effort

CWP Long Seconds Hand, closer to Gen in terms of shape and length

UK supplier hour and minute hands, chrome plating sanded off

Big Daz did his work on the dial and hands, I decided that i really wanted a cleaner looking dial this time rather than total Tritium melt down. I like it for a change. work traded for some of my handy work(hows thats DeepSea working out Daz?)

Eta 2846 i bought on the Bay for $30.00 That was a steal

It will soon be sporting a very nice Vintage NOS Riveted bracelet courtesy of Nanuq, once I've attacked it with grit paper and stones. Thanks Pal

All in for about $250.00 Not bad then considering a Gen would be around $45,000.00 ;)

DH

post-12988-0-84091800-1380811946_thumb.j

post-12988-0-00805500-1380811972_thumb.j

post-12988-0-18661300-1380812005_thumb.j

post-12988-0-76707400-1380812023_thumb.j

What a spectacular result!  Nicely done.  :notworthy:

Remember in Spain, there is coral.  And coral is a fantastic way to get some authentic aging on an "old" watch.  But be careful, it cuts the hell out of your arms at the same time.

Have a great trip!

Not too sure about what appear to be swirl marks on the sides, but, otherwise, well done. :good:

Yeah not sure what that is Fred, i'll get the cape cod out tonight ;)

Looks great.  What is the link to the Tiger cases?

Here you go mate www.tiger-concept.com

Well Done ! i have just purchased a budget tiger case myself but im a told its dial size is 28mm  not much available dials that size what size dial do you have in there ?