When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HELP ! Have I runined a perfect gen dial ?

clem2192

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Make the best out of it and build a recent Vintage for rough use, once You get over it.

And than just use Your unique and special Submariner everyday in all situations You would otherwise take any watch off out of care. After some time it will aquire such a Patina and it will be so practical You´ll love and treasure it. You had a perfect dial - brandnew, very special but there are thousands of those.

All great vintage Rolex like the doublered Seadweller are only worth their money with the original, wellworn and unique dials, not if the dials were replaced when servicing with brand new ones.

Now You have a special and unique one - the only one around and made from a Gen piece. Show it around and tell people You wanted it like that, because its Yours. Maybe - just maybe it was Your lucky day when it got its marks and You didn´t sell it. Good luck and wear it well, just my opinion.

• Like 1

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Make the best out of it and build a recent Vintage for rough use, once You get over it.

And than just use Your unique and special Submariner everyday in all situations You would otherwise take any watch off out of care. After some time it will aquire such a Patina and it will be so practical You´ll love and treasure it. You had a perfect dial - brandnew, very special but there are thousands of those.

All great vintage Rolex like the doublered Seadweller are only worth their money with the original, wellworn and unique dials, not if the dials were replaced when servicing with brand new ones.

Now You have a special and unique one - the only one around and made from a Gen piece. Show it around and tell people You wanted it like that, because its Yours. Maybe - just maybe it was Your lucky day when it got its marks and You didn´t sell it. Good luck and wear it well, just my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortuantely I am all in on a gen purchase at the moment so I have no real need for the dial and other parts (they just wont get worn) hence I am still trying to sell the dial.

I know I am going to have to take a hit on this one but if there is no interest then maybe I will take your advice and keep it for a later build.....

Cheers

That really requires a complete refinish. No refinisher is going to just do the minute markers. I can tell you that the printing done correctly, is very difficult to rub off. However I have seen some refinished dials where the printing will come off with one touch. So, my guess is, gen dial thats been refinished, and not very well.

Thanks for all your suggestions / comments guys.

Decided I'm still going to try and sell the dial as is for someone else to decide what route they want to take with it

If it doesn't generate any interest then I may decide to try something radical and build myself a beater ....

• 6 months later...