When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Iwc Aquatimer Chronograph Cousteau Divers

PureTime

A couple of years ago we were happy to pay 300, even 400+ for the new Pams, MBW's, etc.. They were pretty good then. Why are we unhappy now?

Then I read an inference that some members think they deserve to get a reduced price because they gave comments on improving this one. Don't get that one??

I, for one, would never spend the extra $300 for the swiss version, only because I've had good luck with the asian 7750, but that's just me.

Of course, most of you are unhappy that it's not selling for $200/250. Well, this isn't a watch for everybody. There is still plenty of cheaper reps (and damn good ones coming out every day). Like the Big Bang (which I don't get!?) which is selling like mad, this one will too.

I haven't decided whether I'm gonna play, but if I do, the price won't stand in the way.

Kudo's for those taking the time and the risk for putting this one together!

I am going to have to wait for a review before purchasing because of the higher price. Every picture that I see of the watch looks to have misaligned markers, and I want to see if that is the case. Even the stock picture on p-clones.com looks to have the 2 & 3 o'clock markers misaligned. Also, it will be interesting to see how waterproof the watch is.

I am going to have to wait for a review before purchasing because of the higher price. Every picture that I see of the watch looks to have misaligned markers, and I want to see if that is the case. Even the stock picture on p-clones.com looks to have the 2 & 3 o'clock markers misaligned. Also, it will be interesting to see how waterproof the watch is.
Waterproofing should be included with the price they're selling it for. That would also make sense since it a Diver's Watch! Then I'll jump on line to get it!!! If they could waterproof the Breitling

Super Ocean Steelfish to 1000m, they could do the same on this model.....and I really wish they would!!!

Edited by HikeUSA

Waterproofing should be included with the price they're selling it for. That would also make sense since it a Diver's Watch! Then I'll jump on line to get it!!! If they could waterproof the Breitling

Super Ocean Steelfish to 1000m, they could do the same on this model.....and I really wish they would!!!

This baby's waterproof alright -> 100 meter dash through the rain :lol:

Waterproofing should be included with the price they're selling it for.

I am afraid that is wishful thinking. Don't take me wrong: I'd be happy for a waterproof IWC diver, too. But I guess it will not withstand 120 meters (which, to be honest, isn't that much for current watches even inexpensive genuine brand watches). Let's cross our fingers :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Having handled the genuine model last week I will most likely stump up for the swiss movment example!

$788 seems high for a rep but not in the context of a quality looking timepeice with a swiss chronograph movement inside. Very beautiful looking, IWC are growing on me very much since I bought my 3706 two weeks ago.

I tried a gen on while i was in HK.. stunning watch.. goes for approx USD 5900.00 with a rubber strap in an IWC boutique.. they did not have the titanium strap, but figure an extra $900 or so if that is your preferance. They only had 1 in the shop, and it may have been the only one in all of HK. Tthey were not discounting it. ... none of the other watch stores I went to had any and I went to plenty of stores.

Original is a modifed 7750 (or so I was told), so the ETA rep is probably as good as you're going to get in terms of passability

FYI, You can get the non-cousteau aquamiter chronometer for about 2.9K in HK if you know where to look... lists at USD 4.2 K... most places in NY and I assume the greater US seem to sell at list if you can find them.. it is not easy... you can get them on the net... best price I saw was about $3.2K plus tax.. Again, this is with rubber strap. Titanium is + $900 or so.

I agree that the outcry over prices seems a bit strident . . . we were paying $350 for Pam Luminor Marina reps two years ago that weren't particularly accurate compared to what we're getting now. I paid around $350 for the Asian Pam 187 when it came out last summer . . . this IWC is a better rep.

Yeah, $400+ is steep for a rep but you can vote with your wallet, and I'm sure we should all be pleased to have as many options as possible. I'm not interested in the Big Bang but I'm glad rep makers are putting out creative quality reps either way. Yeah so everything is not quite as cheap as we'd like. But that's true in all facets of life, why should reps be different?

I have placed my order with Angus who has already sold the first batch of asia models, not sure on the swiss version as I have spare Valjoux movements to fit myself. So it would appear that there are p;lenty of takers for this watch as I would have expected regardless of the higher price tag. Some dealers are charging between $350-$400 for a so called perfect Sub and they are total crap!!!! so why not pay and little more and have something that is not as common as muck!!! and pretty well spot on for a rep straight out of the box. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hilts are you getting the asian or swiss?

Still cant make my mind up :g:

You know, I really struggled to decide too, but I just think that the extra is not worth it. I've gone for the Asian and will be shipping it straight off to The Zigmeister for a service and maybe luming depending on how it looks when I get it.

The Zigmeister seems confident (and who am I to argue!) that a well serviced Asian 7750 is a pretty reliable bit of kit so I'm going to go with that. Price wise, it'll still be cheaper to do that than go for the ETA, and I'll have some confidence that the movement has been well serviced and so hopefully fairly reliable for some time to come.

As always, it's a bit of a gamble, and I'm sure those that splash the cash on the ETA will be happy guys too - interesting to see how many are prepared to drop nearly $800 on a rep!! I'm sure there'll be plenty - I was very close!!

Cheers

Hilts :play_ball:

I think this is going to be a popular watch. Do yoiu think that there will make the other dial variations? Since the hard part is over, dial color variations would be easy. I like the yellow on the blue rather than the white on the blue.

And 800 for a rep - that will never happen with me.

Usil

You know, I really struggled to decide too, but I just think that the extra is not worth it. I've gone for the Asian and will be shipping it straight off to The Zigmeister for a service and maybe luming depending on how it looks when I get it.

The Zigmeister seems confident (and who am I to argue!) that a well serviced Asian 7750 is a pretty reliable bit of kit so I'm going to go with that. Price wise, it'll still be cheaper to do that than go for the ETA, and I'll have some confidence that the movement has been well serviced and so hopefully fairly reliable for some time to come.

As always, it's a bit of a gamble, and I'm sure those that splash the cash on the ETA will be happy guys too - interesting to see how many are prepared to drop nearly $800 on a rep!! I'm sure there'll be plenty - I was very close!!

Cheers

Hilts :play_ball:

Thanks Hilts,

I have decided to go for the Asian movement,thanks for helping make my mind up :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think this is going to be a popular watch. Do yoiu think that there will make the other dial variations? Since the hard part is over, dial color variations would be easy. I like the yellow on the blue rather than the white on the blue.

And 800 for a rep - that will never happen with me.

Usil

I could be wrong, but I THINK the yellow on blue dial is a different model watch... i.e. the more standardized the 42MM (non-cousteau) Chrono... The cousteau version is a ltd edition 44MM.. I do not think it comes in yellow and blue although newer versions may feature different colored dials.

You are probably right. I was making some assumptions on a similar one that had a yellow color instead of white and was not sure if it was the exact same model.

WAIT - it was your avatar that I saw. Is that not the Cousteau?

Usil

You are probably right. I was making some assumptions on a similar one that had a yellow color instead of white and was not sure if it was the exact same model.

WAIT - it was your avatar that I saw. Is that not the Cousteau?

Usil

No that is the 42MM non-cousteau.. Picked up a gen while I was in HK 1.5 weeks ago. Didn't want to do it, but I couldn't help myself. :) I love this watch.

Also tried on the Cousteau.. that is how I know it is bigger. I am pretty sure it does not come in the same color combinations (yellow and blue)

No that is the 42MM non-cousteau.. Picked up a gen while I was in HK 1.5 weeks ago. Didn't want to do it, but I couldn't help myself. :) I love this watch.

Also tried on the Cousteau.. that is how I know it is bigger. I am pretty sure it does not come in the same color combinations (yellow and blue)

You are a smart man - that's a great watch and I think I'm going to pick up a gen of that as well.

Do you mind PM'ing me with the price you paid?

You are a smart man - that's a great watch and I think I'm going to pick up a gen of that as well.

Do you mind PM'ing me with the price you paid?

pm sent.

One of the main reasons these reps are costing more, is the decline in the dollar. Nobody discusses it but the dollars down more than 25%.

Hi,

in fact the Euro has appreciated a lot against the USD but... if you take 2 years history of the USD against the Chinese Yuan, you have a difference of not more than 8% between the lowest and highest value (see oanda.com)

So personally I'm not sure that the exchange rate is a major factor in the price increase.