When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mid 70's 5514 COMEX with 5513 dial

fitch

• 1 month later...

Time for a small update; I changed the insert for a another one; perfectly even faded from matt black on the inside to darkblue~blue on the outside, color of the pearl matching with the dial and hands :)

I hope you enjoy the pics :)

5514-12.jpg

5514-13.jpg

5514-14.jpg

5514-15.jpg

5514-16.jpg

5514-17.jpg

5514-18.jpg

5514-19.jpg

• Like 1

Very well done. Beautiful job!!

It's too bad HH couldn't get the case deal off the ground. I was really looking forward to a 1680 case for my 1680. I believe his cases solved the problems of the Polex Design  MBW cases, using a 5513 case for a 1680. Oh Well, maybe some day!! But yours is a super nice watch, wear it well, and wear the heck out of it. Let it get it's aging from use.

Gorgeous, I'm drooling all over my keyboard! I have one question; did the first insert you installed have a glossy surface before you mildly bleached it? I installed a new bezel insert on my homage and it is too glossy for my liking. I was hesitant in bleaching because I've never attempted it before and I don't have scrap bezels to test with. I gave it a coat of matte acrylic clear as a temporary fix, but I would love to achieve the effects you have achieved!

Yes, the insert was a standard (rolex) service replacement insert that was also glossy. It seems all the inserts have a solid glossy finish/ varnish so whenever i customise an insert i start with gently remove the glossy layer; i let is sit in bleach but only for a little while and then i use a mild scrubbing cloth to gently and evenly remove the glossy layer. Use bleach carefully as some sorts are very agressieve. I also put it in a box with screws and stones to give is many small scratches. After that i used cape cod to polish it to a semi-gloss finish. For the black insert this is were i stopped, hope this info helps; whatever you do; take your time because you can't go back and make the insert darker again :) and repeat the bleaching/ scrubbing process if needed :)

• Like 2

Yes, the insert was a standard (rolex) service replacement insert that was also glossy. It seems all the inserts have a solid glossy finish/ varnish so whenever i customise an insert i start with gently remove the glossy layer; i let is sit in bleach but only for a little while and then i use a mild scrubbing cloth to gently and evenly remove the glossy layer. Use bleach carefully as some sorts are very agressieve. I also put it in a box with screws and stones to give is many small scratches. After that i used cape cod to polish it to a semi-gloss finish. For the black insert this is were i stopped, hope this info helps; whatever you do; take your time because you can't go back and make the insert darker again :) and repeat the bleaching/ scrubbing process if needed :)

Thanks, this is exactly the info I need! The bleach I have at the moment is Clorox and is pretty strong.

Ok, if it's your first try be carefull with it, better to repeat the process then to ruin is in your first try; bleach can work pretty fast and if you don't remove the gloss layer you won't get an evenly faded insert which will result in a less authentic looking aged insert :) good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...