When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dreaming of Vintage Rolex(s)

droptopman

Only been here a short while so a NOOB.  Really like the modern Rolex, but man lately after seeing all the vintage stuff, really want a 6542 and/or some kind of Bond Sub.  I am obsessed now, think about a vintage Rolex all the time.....on line gathering information.....shopping.....

Something like these

post-60288-0-43071700-1390699808_thumb.jpost-60288-0-31068300-1390699676_thumb.j

or little more modern with Nato

post-60288-0-27433700-1390699858_thumb.j

Suggest you buy a MBW such as a great white SD. Send it out to be modded lightly.....new insert and pearl, trim the CG, drill out the lug holes, new crystal, maybe a gen crown and tube. Beautiful. I have MBW I bought from TTK that are just gorgeous....great white SD and a 1680 single red. Both modded and so nice. The cartel versions are crap in comparison.

Suggest you buy a MBW such as a great white SD. Send it out to be modded lightly.....new insert and pearl, trim the CG, drill out the lug holes, new crystal, maybe a gen crown and tube. Beautiful. I have MBW I bought from TTK that are just gorgeous....great white SD and a 1680 single red. Both modded and so nice. The cartel versions are crap in comparison.

thanks for replying help me out a little mbw? See that mentioned in other posts but when I searched... Nothing. I have seen a couple of Frankens that I loved but were already sold by time I saw them. Don't mind paying for right unit and with my limited knowledge and contacts and just starting to mess with my watches more likely to try and find one that is done. I do have something going on the bond sub with another member so now really looking for the GMT Pepsi. May just post in the WTB section and see what turns up

Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I'm on the same boat. I was thinking of puretimes 1680 and sending it out to get modded. Anyone can chime in on the puretimes 1680 quality?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

MBW are no longer made as, well, "Maria" is dead.... The legacy of the MBWs (Maria's Best Watch) are now generally called MBK , named after the shopping complex where the watch stall in Thailand is located.

Reg (Narikaa) on RWI can get them for you but it could take some time as he travels there only a few times a year.

Many will atest that the MBKs of today are of slightly inferior quality compared to the MBWs of yesteryear. But regardless, every non gen will have flaws.. Some less than others.

They will pop up in the sales section from time to time as well. Good luck.

Guest REPPIN

Don't even think twice... go MBW.

I have an MBW 1665 DRSD with a Whoopy Dial. Can't be beat.

But your probably gonna have to wait until one comes up for sale around here.

And if your looking for a complete watch get ready to pay 4 figures.

If I were to start from scratch, I believe that I would haunt the sales forums on all the rep sites, looking for an MBW 1665. Then depending on how much had been done, the skies the limit.

Here is mine, I it has a gen crystal, insert/pearl. Crown/ tube, movement hands and a rep dial although a very good one. Also the bracelet and end links are gen. One like this is not cheap, I have over 3K in this watch. You can do a nice one for half that or less, depending on the amount of genuine parts you want to use.

zyzyjy9u.jpg

I have a two MBK 1680 watches and one 5513 case. Here are a few observations:

The 'engraving' is laser etched and very light, SD probably the same.

The fit and finish is very good.

MBK 1680 and 5513 cases are identical.

To use a 26.5mm 1680 dial, the dial seat needs to be enlarged. My two 1680 came with dials roughly trimmed to fit the 26.2mm+/- dial seat.

Both came with swisseta 2836, both running Ok.

One 1680 had solid bracelet mid links, the other had hollow mid links.

Cartel versions are somewhat inferior (imho) but cost much less.

Original MBK watches will part out for close to what they cost, unlike most cartel watches. 

All the case necks (where the crystals mount) on my DW cases are 28.0mm plus or minus a hair and the case necks on my MBK cases are 28.2mm plus or minus half a hair.

Never had an MBK SD.

Why not?

I can't pass myself off as a 5513 or 1680 owner, much less a SD owner. 

Swatch Scuba Loomi Happy Sea owner...maybe.  :snorkel:

• Like 1

The reason I suggested the 1665 over the 1680 is because of what Automatico states in his post, the MBW case is not correct for a 1680, as it is a 5513 case. Case or dial has to be modified to fit a genuine dial, DW alignment is a big problem and the case engraving is incorrect even Rolex is misspelled "Polex" !!! Plus is it will accept gen parts.

Automatico

Thanks for all that knowledge. I think smoke is coming out of my ears. So if I understand it may make more sense to drop the coin on a high end case as everything will fit together better as in gen parts. Basically the same conclusion on the research for the vintage GMT. Especially since I am no modder and knowledge is limited. Buy the $ case and build from there. Is that a correct assessment?

dtm...

Paying a lot of $$ for a 'top grade' case is usually a good idea when using a genuine movement but sad to say, it is no guarantee the case will be up to spec. I have owned a few of the 'better' cases and three so far were up to spec...Yuki 1680 about three years ago, Phong 1655 about two years ago, and an IG44 1680 case from about 6 months ago. All the others were not up to spec for various reasons, most being minor. All three of the better cases came from RWG members and the IG44 case was the only one that was brand new.

DW 5513/1680 cases are fairly priced but you might need to be a 'watchguy' to make them work properly.

Thank you. I think I will stick to buying completed watches for a bit and tinker with some of my cheaper no wrist time units and keep reading. At some point I will go for a build but still have so much to learn.

Thank you. I think I will stick to buying completed watches for a bit and tinker with some of my cheaper no wrist time units and keep reading. At some point I will go for a build but still have so much to learn.

Very wise my friend :D