When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rough crown stem lubrication?

bvc

So, some crown stems are, well, rough! Of course replacement is the ideal solution however is there a quick fix in the meantime to slow down the dreaded "stripping" can you remove and lubricate or is it a waste of time?

Thanks in advance guys.

Bvc.

Take a needle and put some anti-seize grease on the case tube. Screw crown in and out until you feel it smooth out. Then take a rag and wipe the excess off the threads on the case tube. You should see a marked improvement.

Whenever I come across a gritty feel crown/tube, I remove the stem, and clean the tube thread with a toothbrush, and then rodico.  The crown I blast out with compressed air.  Then I grease the tube thread, and refit the crown, and usually its then butter smooth.  You would be surprised at the dirty tube threads from the factory!

One thing to remember is if you use grease or suchlike to make it smooth, remember to always remove ALL of that grease (after you have the action lovely and smooth) and put fresh grease on.

The reason is that the first lot of grease now has lots of tiny bits of metal in it (that were causing the roughness) and if you left that grease on there it will act as a cutting paste and make things looser and looser until the threads crumble to nothing.

Remove it and put new grease on and it'll be lovely and smooth for a long time to come.

Great advice guys. Thank you.

Makes my heart sink every time I have to adjust a watch. Good point on the cutting paste fraggle. That's exactly the sort of thing I would miss. Dead chuffed with this thread as grinding stems are driving me mental. Result.

Bvc.