When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex found at 9/11 site

irolexu

Not to lessen 9/11 in any way, but the worst? How about the Brits burning our Capitol city to the ground? Or any major Civil War battle .. 50,000 American casualties in one day?

My wife's cousin is on the memorial rail at ground zero, so please don't wave any angry flags in my face.

Very sad, I was in the winery that day, having meal with customers and watching the tv as the 1º plane crashed, we did not understand the reality, I remember we just thought that was an accident , but, all of suddenly, we seen the second plane crashing again, then we understood what was going on…..

It was terrible…also I remember very well when the islamic radicalism put the bomb in Madrid..still remember the soon of the explosion….

Not to lessen 9/11 in any way, but the worst? How about the Brits burning our Capitol city to the ground? Or any major Civil War battle .. 50,000 American casualties in one day?

My wife's cousin is on the memorial rail at ground zero, so please don't wave any angry flags in my face.

Soldiers are fully aware of the risks they may be exposed too, two skyscrapers of people working for a living and three planes of people travelling, all to suddenly have that happen to them?

It's not the worst in terms of numbers of people killed, but I think in terms of innocent people being killed it's the worst, and worst morality wise.

(And at Washington only most of the public buildings were burned down, the Americans burned the Naval Yards themselves and I don't think anyone was burned in the buildings?)

I personally will never forget this day. I was in-the-air traveling right near the site, when the 1st plane hit. We did an immediate 180 and headed back to Toronto. Had I not needed to be in Toronto the Friday before, I would have normally left from Boston on Tuesday for my non-stop flight to California. By the time we got back, the 2nd plane just hit. The Toronto airport was a complete mess. Planes started landing from everywhere and by mid-day, it looked like a parking lot. I was lucky enough to have the fortitude to call my hotel back, as soon as we landed to get another room. I then called Hertz back to get another car, just in case. Good thing I did, because within another 30 minutes, Nothing was available anywhere. It never really hit me throughout the day, how close our plane or I could have been on one of those flights. Until around 10:00pm that night a news broadcaster said the hijackers crossed the US borders from Canada by car. He was wondering why they took that risk going through customs and leaving from Boston, when it would have been easier for them to just leave from the Toronto airport. I believe one of the fatal airplanes was headed to California. Then I looked over at my luggage and noticed the tag on the handle, it read: 9/11 – LAX. That’s when the hair on the back of my neck stoodup.

My family was extremely nervous that morning until they heard we were ok.  Not only because I was flying, but because my sister is also a Boston-based flight attendant for American and she was working that day.

After just over 48 hours of being stuck at the airport and no real word on when US airspace will resume, I drove my rental car home. Hertz told me at the time, I was going to be charged a hefty fee, if I leave the car at a US Hertz return center. Then the US & Canada Hertz systems were not tired together, so they said they would have to retrieve the car from the US and I would be charged for that. One week later, my Amex was charged $995 fee for that recovery. After Hertz thought about it, or probably realized this may have happen a lot that week and it wouldn’t be good for their reputation, they dropped the charge.

It was a very sad day in US history and I hope something like this is never repeated.

Dave...

Soldiers are fully aware of the risks they may be exposed too, two skyscrapers of people working for a living and three planes of people travelling, all to suddenly have that happen to them?

It's not the worst in terms of numbers of people killed, but I think in terms of innocent people being killed it's the worst, and worst morality wise.

(And at Washington only most of the public buildings were burned down, the Americans burned the Naval Yards themselves and I don't think anyone was burned in the buildings?)

Well said. That is a major distinction. The difference btw military casualities and civilian.

I lived a few blocks from there at the time, was woken by the sound of the first plane hitting, and watched as they both came down from my rooftop.

There is really no comparison for the horrors that took place that day. Every event is relative, lives lost are lives lost.

Maybe you guys are not reading it through .. 50.000 casualties in a day .. not the entire war. Please don't play down the death and dismemberment of human beings by saying they "should have known"  ... 620,000 American soldiers dead in four years .. over 1,000,000 casualties. Maybe that number is too large to think about in real terms.

I think the real truth here is that since we're talking about events from 150 years ago, they don't seem real. and so they are overlooked.

My two cents are to echo what has been said previously, war is war and terrorism is different. Soldiers sign up knowing that they will be facing an enemy, the civilians that went to work that day had no clue that they would be targeted in an act of terrorism. Yes those civil war numbers are high, yes they are from 170 years ago and yes both are tragic but 9-11 is different and should not be compared to the civil war or the burning of Washington.

Indeed, war is a horrible truth. Terrorism is the act of a single war. It is also horrible. I'm sure none of us will forget 9 11. And we should never forget the civil war. They praise linclon as a great president, really. He is resposible for the deaths of 600,000 americans. More than all the deaths of all the wars combined. I think he was a horrible president, the worst in my opinion. He personally could have saved the lives of 600,000 americans, but he was to stupid to see that for himself.

I do understand what people are saying, that we shouldn't forget any atrocities, be it in wartime or peacetime, no matter how many people lost their lives.

I do think that to comparing one to another is doing a disservice to one or the other. Every single atrocity, no matter the 'scale', deserves more respect than that.

I'm a pacifist and it's getting to me now thinking about either one :(

Note i'm not getting at anyone here. I'm not that familiar with American history but AFAIK 9/11 was the worst loss of life for a terrorist attack which is what I think Vegasvic meant.

Terrorist wise this is the worst ever. Also people won't think of the past when they actually saw it with their own eyes.

And the plane that crashed into the Pentagon....Um where is it..Show me one photo.

How about the fact that this 'plane' made an almost perfect circular hole, horizontally through 3 stories of that building.

That's Never happened before either in any Plane-to-building crash.

Dave...

Is this really becoming a conspiracy thread?

If a plane didn't hit the pentagon - then why hasn't one conspiracy theorist locate any of the passengers that were listed to be on the plane or confirm if they are even real.

As for no planes hitting the tower - i think there were enough civilians on the ground that saw planes hitting the towers.  Again, the government released the names of victims that were on both flights.  If no planes - then please, locate the passengers.

As for hearing bombs that day - yes, when i hear a boom - i too would think its a bomb.  Lets face it - who knows what was going on in the buildings at the time.  Again, if there were bombs and in this day of whistleblowers, etc - tell me why hasnt anyone come forward or find anyone who planted bombs?