When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The next time someone ridicules you for wearing a rep, reply with this....

DiverDoug

Hi all,

Just received my PAM111 Noob rep from Trevor and finally got it working. While one co-worker was impressed with the rep (and he knew it was a rep) another co-worker (a rather pompous [censored] who always has a smart-ass putdown to pretty much anything anyone says) tried to ridicule my choice of rep (ie the fact that it was a high-quality rep instead of a gen). Of course, it was later on that I thought of a good reply.

Since we all know at least one person like this, here's what my response is going to be from now on:

Him: "That's a fake, isn't it!" (in a condescending, sarcastic tone)

Me: "Yup. It's as fake as your girlfriend's orgasms..."

If the guy gets angry, my next repy would be "Sorry, mate. I guess I shouldn't have assumed you'd have an actual girlfriend."

Be proud of your reps!

Just my two cents' worth...

DD

• Like 4

Most of these haughty Pric-ks assume the person wearing the replica can not afford the genuine article.

Overheard at a Snobby AD..."You are wearing a FAKE watch Sir!!"

Replica owner..."Yes, but I can write a check for any watch in the showcase."

SAD..."Ok then, write us one."

RO..."I'm too smart for that."

Watchsnob..."Is that watch FAKE or real?"

RO..."If it was not real you could not see it."  :pimp:

• Like 1

I prefer, "I dunno, I took it off a dead guy."

Of course, that may not work for you unless the people you know are prepared to believe you actually did take it off a dead guy.

Bill

Haha great one! Going to try this one  :inverted:

Well, my wife and I just had dinner a couple weeks back with a friend who works for IWC, and she was impressed with my PAM 111.  Said it could have fooled her, until she saw the movement on the back.  Yah, the really good ones have engraved lettering, and other details obviously, but still, she said the overall quality was impressive for a couple hundred bucks.

Well, my wife and I just had dinner a couple weeks back with a friend who works for IWC, and she was impressed with my PAM 111.  Said it could have fooled her, until she saw the movement on the back.  Yah, the really good ones have engraved lettering, and other details obviously, but still, she said the overall quality was impressive for a couple hundred bucks.

Completely true, especially the PAM111 noob is a top notch watch! As long as you keep them on the wrist you can't tell if it's a gen or a rep.. The movement gives it most of the time away.

Great answers.  I am actually sympathetic to the snob. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in truth, conceptually, when you wear a rep you are in fact in posession of stolen property (the trademark, etc.). But that never bothered me. :whistling:

By the way I am always curious how many people actually get asked. In 30+ years of rotating many different watches (both rep and gen) I have never gotten anything other than "nice watch" except from the couple of members of the forums I have run into in airports where 5 minutes of conversation and you know what they've been doing.The funniest is when the person is quickly showing interest and ownership in the standard rep brands and they pretend ignorance when you refer to RWG or any of the others. :)

Best reply ever ... my go-to response in uncharted waters!

I was drerssed in suit and tie one day downtown talking on my iPhone, and I guy walked up to me and asked if I knew where there was a payphone.  I knew what was coming - my first case as a detective was in 1978.

When he asked if he could use my brand new iPhone 5, I said, "I'd rather not, I'm too old to out run you and I'd rather not have to shoot you."

That conversation ended amicably enough.

LOL

Bill

PS - if there is a way to set things up where you get an email when someone replies to your post, can someone share that with me.

B

Good on ye, Bill.  Most people are too polite (cough: wussy) to say no.

I have no qualms at all telling people they may not play with my toys.

If you want email notification of replies to topics, try using the expanded reply function (there's a clicker button below the reply box) and to the right there are check boxes to allow you to follow the topic.  Maybe that will help?

All is indeed well, Sir Bill, we're in the throes of Summer in Alaska with wall to wall daylight, frantic activity, and zero sleep.  

Now let's see if you get an email notification!  :tu:

All is indeed well, Sir Bill, we're in the throes of Summer in Alaska with wall to wall daylight, frantic activity, and zero sleep.  

Now let's see if you get an email notification!   :tu:

NOPE.  Bummer.  I must be doing something wrong tho because the "Follow this topic" is checked.

You guys in that area that gets ferocious mosquitoes ... I saw a TV show that was SCARY - even to me, from the Everglades.  Our mosquitoes just eat you ... those damn things carry you off to eat later like a take out lunch!

Bill

• Like 1

I've been wearing reps for 6 years now and no one has ever called me out. I'm guessing that's true of 99% of members here.

I think it's largely the "rest of the picture," coupled with two facts:

1)  Most people are not aware that there are really good reps ... ever see someone study a Rolex to see if it "ticks"

2)  Most people don't care one way or the other

Mostly though, I think people look at your age and your lifestyle ... if you're sixty, drive a Bentley, and pay your bar tab with an AmEx Centurion card, people would assume that your Kermit Rolex was some fancy, uber expensive, version commissioned by Rolex.  If you're twenty-five, drive a beat up old Yugo, and pay for your Budweiser with a handful of pocket change, you could have a gen but nobody would believe it.

Bill