When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I hate the $Dollar!

dusk

Everything "seems" sooo cheap when living here in the UK. Today on xe.com $1 = £0.59p so it lulls you into a false sense of relaxation when hitting the buy button. I came here "looking for the best sub"  :bangin: as I'm sure more people than would willingly admit it did! I'm now lighter to the tune of circa £1,700.00 ($2,846.01) two months down the line and all of a sudden the $ doesn't seem such good value any more. 

I've even taken delivery of a faux Gator display box today....  :huh:

Who am i kidding? God bless the dollar!  :clap2:

Happy weekends all,

Peace

Dusk on the flip side I hate when UK guys price in GPBs only 250 pounds 418 USDs  quite a difference Euro not so bad. I would like to keep the sales board in dollars for ease of price discovery. This being said some do some don't, but I ask all to keep in mind dealers price in dollars so best to use as comparison and like it or not the dollar IS the worlds reserve currency.

• Like 1

We'll let you have the $ as the world currency as long as you replace your zzzzz's with the correct ssssss's lol

Boot/ trunk

bonnet/ hood

pavement/ sidewalk

sweets/ candy

spirits/ liquor

Oh and the word 'f@nny' also means something waaay different over here in the land of fish'n'chips  :snorkel:

The problem with UK or EU people using dollars is if we work it out when placing the ad, and then a week later sell the item, the exchange rate may have changed and we could lose out.

And "that's what the dealers have to do" doesn't wash as I'm me and they are them and we're not joined at the hip :)

I'll put my prices in £ and say "using exchange rate at <xyz date> this is $xxx, the actual dollar amount will be recalculated when the item is bought".

fraggle fluctuations in forex are pennies at best below is a one month chart GBP vs dollar

post-44391-0-41749900-1401469828_thumb.p

what does this work out to one pound give or take on a 100 dollars> so if you bought from dealer at 400 w/ shipping put on sale (C&R and it sat for a month) at either point your up/down 4 dollars/ponunds ,it don't float.

Enjoy the benefits of the US Federal Reserve's batty policies while you can. A (long overdue) reset is coming & things will change. ;)

Would be interested to know what you see in regard to the reset freddy please expand, we may be simpatico on this one.

Try buying from Canada, we just keep dropping. All of the reps stay the same price but all of a sudden a $330 IWC Top Gun is $360, those great deals on Jomashop... aren't so great (they no longer offset the cost of conversion and import taxes) and I don't get a raise when the Canadian dollar takes a dip :(

Wait, did I just say I could get an IWC Top Gun for $360? I would like to retract my previous belly aching!

The trend is not your friend coop.

"A dismal GDP report may instill a bearish outlook for the Canadian dollar as Bank of Canada (BoC) Governor Stephen Poloz keeps the door open to further reduce the benchmark interest rate, and the central bank head may continue to endorse a dovish outlook for monetary policy amid the persistent slack in the real economy."

http://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/daily_briefing/daily_pieces/trading_news_reports/2014/05/29/USD-CAD-to-Breakout-of-Bearish-Trend-on-Dismal-Canada-1Q-GDP.html

It's very interesting and I really wish I had the mental capacity and time to learn. I used to be into various 'truth' theories and have studied a lot of things from obviously true to pretty far out there but in the end I wasn't gaining anything personally by trying to understand how twisted the world is so decided to expend my energies on earning money and my family and I am much happier now.

The zeitgeist series of films were quite an eyepoener

What this is leading to is the video that stuck in my mind about the federal reserve and how in fact we are all enslaved ultimately by money that is created from thin air with the purpose to keep us grafting paying into the messed up system that our toils have funded, like I say I'm not an economist and am prepared to be corrected but the monetary system does seem messed up but I guess ultimately it's a messed up system that seems to work. Buy a house and you work for the bank for 30 years plus interest to pay it off or that take your house or you slave for 30 years and they take your house :-/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IH-XKQpOI

Writing from Italy (we've € here) and seeing how the world is going (Russians conquering Ossetia, Ukraine, (hiddenly) friendshipping with Germany, tying with China -on a side-; new nazisms/fascisms popping up in Hungary, Greece, France and even UK and a bit here in IT too, plus a huge crisis growing since 2001 and still growing now in barely the whole Europe -on the second side- and USA weak full of debts (nearly all in the hands of China)), we'll be lucky if, within 20 years, our reps will not be paid from us in Ruble or even Yuan...  :cc_hang:

Would be interested to know what you see in regard to the reset freddy please expand, we may be simpatico on this one.

Normal interest rates hover between 4~6%, which keeps entities from over-leveraging themselves. Give the money away over extended periods of time (ie, 0-ish interest rates), encourage borrowing  & you get a bubble. Let the bubble expand up to $17 trillion-ish &....well, what always follows the bubble?

That, of course, is a very simplified version of the problem, but it is the salient point.

It's going to be a very rude awakening for a lot of people when the Fed quits printing money and the Market crawls into the gutter again... :Jumpy:

Well freddy, JMB agree but with the first quarter negative GDP the FED has cover to continue on it's path with little significant taper.

Ahead good read:  http://www.businessinsider.com/india-shows-how-to-take-advantage-of-fed-tapering-and-chinas-slowdown-2014-5

Boot/ trunk

bonnet/ hood

pavement/ sidewalk

sweets/ candy

spirits/ liquor

Oh and the word 'f@nny' also means something waaay different over here in the land of fish'n'chips  :snorkel:

Yeah try changing out a transfer case on a 60s Land Rover.  I've got two rollaround tool boxes full of God's Own Snapon tools, and nothing fits those BSF / BSC bolts and nuts.

Oh and the previous owner swapped in some SAE and some Metric.

Hand me a pint!

• Like 1

Yeah try changing out a transfer case on a 60s Land Rover.  I've got two rollaround tool boxes full of God's Own Snapon tools, and nothing fits those BSF / BSC bolts and nuts.

Oh and the previous owner swapped in some SAE and some Metric.

Hand me a pint!

Hahaha

Oh and snap on... Mmmmmmmmmmmm I could spend a lot of cash on that stuff...

It's glorious, lovely stuff. And far too slick when your hands are greasy! Which, being a Land Rover owner, is always.

I've flirted with the whole SWB classic thing and it's something I will do in the future for sure. First though it has to be an E36 m3 and replica watches of course. Just about to move into a new house with a decent garage so autotrader will be getting a good hammering!

Fake rolexes and an m3, oh Jesus I've turned into Keith lemon lol

Nanuq I have heard horror stories about repairing Land Rovers guys who work for them here will not even dive new ones> I forget the year but anything after they consider a piece of crap. You of course have vintage so OK there w/ the added bonus of mix and match nuts and bolts!! LOL

I've got a '96 Discovery since new, and it's seriously been the most reliable car ever for me. I take the Troop out in it in all conditions, in all places, and it's never let us down. Closing in on 200,000 hard miles.

The '63 Rover is a joy to work on and drive, everything is accessible and there are only 10 moving parts on the whole thing (all with different fasteners of course!)

I know lots of people with horror stories, but these aren't Toyotas. They leak. They're quirky and they have personalities. Get a good one, and you've got a lifetime companion.

Get a bad one...... there ain't enough large caliber ammunition in the world to express the frustration!