When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Assembling parts list for my first budget 6538 build.

Mendota Explorer

Actually, I think dbane is right.  The Comex is a different black ink printed on top of the white rectangle.  Here are two macro pics of a gen Comex 16610 dial for sale on VRF and VRM, taken from an angle so you can see the contrast. That being said, were ALL of their dials printed the same way from the 1960s through today?  I don't know.

333iq9h.jpg

b8mzqv.jpg

Edited by Mendota Explorer

I have that Minh dial for sale in another thread, now that I've got the final dial installed.

It was initially the best dial I could find. I narrowed my search down to the InGod tropical vs the Minh, and ultimately went with the Minh. Compared side by side with a gen, the fonts and lettering are nearly identical.

Just have seen the topic, looks amazing. In a future I would to make a Big Crown, now I'm in the midle of 1680000/16610 project with spider web dial, so first I want to have finished that. Just one question more, handset looks really good, can You tell me where did you take the hands?!

The COMEX lettering on the gen is painted gloss black. It is not the background dial color showing through.

Always though that's how they made the earlier ones, although I don't have nearly as much exp with them as I do with the gilts

The hands were from Classic Watch Parts I believe, and are a very dark/matte gold look, a perfect match for Service hands of the era, with the thicker "Mercedes". They were lumed by Ziggy to match the dial.

I went over to Michael Young's site - classic watch parts - and he doesn't mention hands at all.  How do you guys buy hands from him?  Do you just email him and tell him what you are looking for?

He's a very respected vintage gen repair and restoration guy.  Is it OK to say I am looking for a long hour hand for an ETA movement or is it better to say I am looking for a long hour hand with gen spec and then have it broached like you mentioned on HF?  Who does the broaching?

Great info.  Thanks cc!  His prices for service work and repairs seem incredible compared to what people are posting over on TRF.  I think if I owned a gen I'd work with him and just use a very safe and reliable shipping method both ways.

Since he's big in both worlds, does that mean he could be supportive of franken and genken builds and could be a resource for parts, as well as service work for a completed build?

Since he's big in both worlds, does that mean he could be supportive of franken and genken builds and could be a resource for parts, as well as service work for a completed build?

Yes, absolutely but being in china isn't the most convenient for most

Just caught up on this thread. Once again, I learned so something. Incredible wealth of knowledge here!

I'm hoping 2014 is the year of the big crown for my collection. It's clearly lacking... That and a 1016.

Just caught up on this thread. Once again, I learned so something. Incredible wealth of knowledge here!

I'm hoping 2014 is the year of the big crown for my collection. It's clearly lacking... That and a 1016.

You are reading my mind!  I would love to have both.  

Actually, I want more than one big crown.  I have a few open pillows in my watchbox that need to be filled.  :)

^ Same here.  That 6200 is unbelievable.

So I've been emailing with Michelle at Silix.  The base watch I want is in stock but no dice on the rivet.  She said it's not available from that mfr and my only option is to purchase one separately and she will include it in the package.  I think it's $35 for the rivet.

From what everyone has said, the rivet she gets is a real piece of sh*t right?  Am I safe in assuming that I should NOT spend any extra money on that POS rivet and instead just hold out for a Yuki?  I'd hate to waste $35 if it is so bad that I won't even use it.  In the meantime, a nice handmade leather band could work well for it.

I'm thinking something like this strap.

lthr-105-20-03.jpg

lthr-105-20-02.jpg

There are inexpensive and widely available folded Oyster rivet bands that are very nice quality.  I used one on my 1675 for a couple years and thought it was great.  Fit and finish were fine, it looked good and it accepted thick springbars.  It felt robust.

Then I did some research and discovered the real rivet bands were very thin and the clasp was a little different.  So I hunted around and found the Yuki 7206 and bought a handful.  I was underwhelmed.

Realistically, the quality on the Yuki isn't as good as the original rivet band I had.  But its dimensions are correct and I can make it into something usable.

Both have flaws.  If you don't really care about the thickness and slightly different clasp, you might be happy with the cheap version. 

Very interesting thread...

I still have the complete Mihn Q

6538 case from my aborted big crown project, seeing these beautiful pictures makes me want to try again...

Sent from my GMT Master using Tritium

CC33 and Nanuq's big crowns are truly a dream

Very interesting thread...

I still have the complete Mihn Q

6538 case from my aborted big crown project, seeing these beautiful pictures makes me want to try again...

Sent from my GMT Master using TritiumCC33 and Nanuq's big crowns are truly a dream

Or sell it me for a very very very good price :-D