When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016...recommendations?

bricolage

Hi there,

lusting since quite some time for a 1016 - meanwhile the prices for 'the real thing' are gone off limits (for me). The various hommages of the last years didn't really work for me, so maybe the rep area has something for me.

Here I read found some threads on fascinating franken builds, but no review on an off-the-shelf watch.

I saw one at trusty time - any real life experiences here? Alternatives?

Cheers, mike

I went franken (which I highly recommend) and my build thread is posted, but JMB was working on sourcing an inexpensive gilt Explorer dial which could be put into one of his cases.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/170741-a-couple-gilt-early-1016-dials-for-your-approval/

You could grab a different dial, but still use the rest of his parts if you don't like the gilt dial. Would give you a better watch than buying an off-the-shelf watch without spending that much more.

I don't believe the cartel case Explorers take gen spec parts. If you are looking to franken later, it might not be the best starting point.

If you can find an MBW 1016, it's probably the best out of the box, but if you hope to go down the franken path later, I would start with JMB's case, or find a gen 1601, or 160xx case to build from.

As tomhorn notes, all the out-of-the-box options are dead ends if you decide to add gen parts later.  I used to recommend the Trusty 1016 as the best low-cost option (i.e. <$250) but jmb's kits offer a far more compelling watch at nearly the same price. 

Really? Over the MBW case? That's what I went with and didn't have too much trouble fitting gen parts. However, i didn't go gen movement - eta for me.

That said, I would really think before making a decision because when I built mine I went through like 4 cheap ones before lhooq pointed me in the MBW direction... Thanks, by the way! :)

Really? Over the MBW case? That's what I went with and didn't have too much trouble fitting gen parts. However, i didn't go gen movement - eta for me.

I forgot about that!  I was thinking of lanikai and Zigmeister's attempt at fitting a Tropic 22 onto an MBW case many years ago.  Not pretty, but thankfully that issue was solved by a proper-sized bezel (i.e. jmb's).  I would still recommend jmb's case to most people, since the MBW is so hard to source.

J: That old Tiffany dial seems to get better with age!

I had personally started with the MBW 1016 option.

Still like it a lot!

After 1 year I wanted to try building a 1016 Explorer myself, so I opted for the DJ 16200 case kit from JMB.

(JMB case set based build in front, out of the box MBW 1016 in the back from this thread)

post-47307-0-28946200-1384602685.jpg

Despite which of both routes you choose, you won't regret it.

The MBW would require a crystal + bezel swap to get much closer to the gen. The case is compatible with genuine crystals, also JMB's 1016 bezel would be required. Maybe you would also have to drill the lugs to fit genuine springbars.

The result would be this (the lug holes are left as they were for DJ springbars not the gen 1016 springbars).

post-47307-0-35620100-1389188368.jpg

Good luck and please share your decision and results!

I'll be putting a post in the "part for sale" section later today.  I don't want to get into details here so as to not be chastised for trying to sell something in the Rollie section! :Jumpy:

But, to be brief I (currently) could probably put together a kit where you would just need to supply movement and whatever bracelet/strap you want to use...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

time for an update - ;)

Mr. Postman delivered this today - couldn't resist the offer from dutchguy2 over at RWI:

20964746wu.jpg

for the time being I hesitated ordering parts for a build of my own due to the potential risk of seizure of branded after market stuff...well let's see if I start with a 1675 :clap2:

m.