When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paypal sucks because...

danielv2000

hmm.... something bad 

well mainly if you have money on your paypal account and paypal goes down your money is lost forever there is no rescue since paypal aint a bank and that is way paypal sucks in the end they dont have the responsibility like a bank in anything 

best regards Simon 

Even if I have money on my PP account, it always defaults back to the stupid "bill me later" method for payment.  I tried to change default settings but always reverts back to that.  So every purchase I have to go in and change the method or it uses the bill me later method, which is just another bill to deal with.  And obviously the fees suck.  All in all though, as much shopping as I do online, the benefits have outweighed the negatives.  I am surprised more people do not use the Popmoney system.  Once you set it up it is quick and easy and free.  Use it with BK a few times and works great.    

Closed appeals process, no security backing if they vanish, I believe their appeal-appeal service is in house as well, customer complaints (about a matter, an example of which you have open as a case at that time) consider that the closure of that case clears up the complaint - of course it doesn't, it's an example of the problem.

They're idiots.

If you are careful who you deal with, PP does not suck at all.   I use it a lot and have never had a problem where I felt scammed.   If you are not careful regarding who you deal with, it is relatively easy for an unscrupulous buyer to scam a seller, which is an obvious concern for many in this forum (both TD's and private sellers).

I find PP convenient as a way to keep my "watch monies" separate from my regular finances.   This helps keep me under some minimal level of control!!!  ;-)

Even if I have money on my PP account, it always defaults back to the stupid "bill me later" method for payment.  I tried to change default settings but always reverts back to that.  So every purchase I have to go in and change the method or it uses the bill me later method, which is just another bill to deal with.  And obviously the fees suck.  All in all though, as much shopping as I do online, the benefits have outweighed the negatives.  I am surprised more people do not use the Popmoney system.  Once you set it up it is quick and easy and free.  Use it with BK a few times and works great.    

haha, that's the classical upsell

either they want me to use their doofy Bill Me Later or they want to pull funds out of my bank account

As a seller (replica) I find it gives the buyer way to much power and incentive to hold a gun to the head of the dealer.

Every single dealing I have ever had with a buyer I have set a standard well above what a normal legitimate store would and still I have had many accounts burned because someone with unrealistic expectations or an outright scammer has used the system.

I am exactly one PP account away from going out of business and guess what, I have another PP dispute.

Why?

Well a customer ordered a bag with gold hardware and due to (freely admitted) my teams mistake received the bag with silver hardware.

Customer says his wife doesn't like and can he send the bag back for a swap....I said yes

Then customer says would I be willing to pay half of shipping...I said yes

Then after much discussion with my sales rep I decide to make him an offer, for $15 more than his half of shipping he can keep the perfectly good bag he has and I will ship him a replacement with gold hardware, a saving of over $200.

He doesn't say yes, no or maybe he starts a PP dispute!

In the comments of the dispute it has become obvious that he expects the new bag or a full refund without returning the one he has...And that's a big no! Until the other bag arrives back I do not even know for sure if he is just trying to scam me.

Still I have safe guards in place now so this guy is having a lot of trouble getting any sympathy from PP.

Ken

Well, I wanted to complete a transaction while overseas and their fraud department prevented me! I spoke to them twice and explained that I was travelling. They out "notes in the file" but cannot override security protocol.

I tried everything they suggested, answering emaills, automated phone calls, automated texts - cleared all their verification processes and still - cannot complete transaction!

It sucks!

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty ambivalent, but all in all I like to use it to pay for goods and services. I don't like giving my credit card information out to every business that comes along. I have had two big problems with AmEx where someone got my card info and the first time, charged over 6k and was still trying for more when the fraud department called me. AmEx is great to work with, I recalled my last charge that was legit, and everything else was taken care of. Second time some college students got my info, and went on a spending spree, same thing, fraud dept. called me and we figured out my last legit charge and everything else went away. With PayPal , the merchants never see any of your card info. One tip if you are using credit cards, call your card company and have them flag your account for "other" shipping addresses. I have mine set up that they will only pay a charge online that is to be shipped to my billing address. That prevents someone using your card info and shipping goods to and address in another state or country.

Droptop, when I buy something, it always comes out of my PayPal balance then reverts to my bank account, I have to click on change to get the list and chose my "Bill me Later". I believe something is not set correctly in your profile.

Thanks Pan153, I did get it sorted out. It was a setting; although I have changed it before, lately it has stayed set the way I want it. And well my wife...no matter how many times I show her she still tends to pick what is now pp credit.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.