When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real ETA 2824 clone?

HaydenM

Hi all,

I read around the forum that there was a problem with some watches from the Z-factory having inferior movements not as advertised so thought after I got the caseback off and the camera out I would check in with the people here far more knowledgable than me as to whether or not this is a "real" ETA clone.

20140801-1_zps23ae22ba.jpg

20140801-2_zpsf4df5de2.jpg

Thank you all in advance :)

So far it's worked pretty well, kept amazing time for the first couple of days, then for some reason overnight it either gained or lost five minutes (can't quite remember which) for a while, thankfully it's settled down again and is keeping pretty good time.

Well like you said, the z factory movements have been having a bad rep lately. Several guys have posted their horror stories about movements stopping breaking in their z factory reps. The general consensus is that rep factories get the movements that are quality rejects or just not up to the higher standards in order to be sold to the name brand watch companies. It would appear that even amung rep factories there is a pecking order and as z factory is the newest that they are getting the left overs the other rep factories don't want.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I have 2 in the cabinet I replaced with good quality clones. Those movements seem to be trash. Both of these failed in the first 2 days. I keep them for parts in case I get one that actually is repairable

I wasn't going to say anything, but I have 2 in the cabinet I replaced with good quality clones. Those movements seem to be trash. Both of these failed in the first 2 days. I keep them for parts in case I get one that actually is repairable

Any idea of a good place to source a better quality clone?

Replace it with a new clone. It'll be cheaper than servicing that one IMO.

You can buy clones off ebay for under $100.

Service would run you anywhere from $100-$300 depending on the watchesmith and what parts need to be replaced.

The plus side of this is, it will get replaced with eta parts and the movement will prob run better than it' ever did.

Downside is it could get pricy.

There's also the option of swapping with a gen eta.

If you have the tools, do a swap yourself. Save some money.

I don't know how to service a movement but if any of my clones ever died, I'd prob just do a swap.

Gen eta, I would get serviced.

Edited by Bc1221

Sorry I've come late to this party but when you have a movement in your replica watch which is a clone of ETA, and it has the decorative swirls (Pearlage) then it's always made by Sea-Gull, the famous Chinese movement company. That's their trademark decoration for their clone ETA pieces.