When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jeez 1680 is hard to find

Ezio

You are right. Probably the best, outside of a select few that got Higho's great case! or those that went all out and built one with phong,yuki or Ming Quy cases, are the old MBW 1680's and they were not correct, as MBW used a 5513 case for the 1680's. Dial openings are different, so to build one using a gen dial, you have to alter the case or shave the dial. If you can find and old MBW though, they take Gen parts. Drop in a gen insert/pearl, crystal. Crown and a 2846 slow beat movement and you have a pretty nice sub. Just not anything much "off the shelf" AFAIK. Several years ago, there were a lot of folks here building and modding 1680's. They seemed to have dropped off the radar. Most of the interest now seems to be these new clunky, ceramic insert subs!!Good luck

You are right. Probably the best, outside of a select few that got Higho's great case! or those that went all out and built one with phong,yuki or Ming Quy cases, are the old MBW 1680's and they were not correct, as MBW used a 5513 case for the 1680's. Dial openings are different, so to build one using a gen dial, you have to alter the case or shave the dial. If you can find and old MBW though, they take Gen parts. Drop in a gen insert/pearl, crystal. Crown and a 2846 slow beat movement and you have a pretty nice sub. Just not anything much "off the shelf" AFAIK. Several years ago, there were a lot of folks here building and modding 1680's. They seemed to have dropped off the radar. Most of the interest now seems to be these new clunky, ceramic insert subs!!Good luck

Thanks i will need the luck haha

the few guys who have the old mbw have modded it and wont part with sadly as you say a few Mods and you are there

If I were to get a 1680 these days, it would be the PT white dialed 1680 with the 2846 movement. The watch has lots of good features and if modded can be really nice.

It has a nice DWO- gen like, decent bezel insert and pearl, low-beat 2846, decent hollow mid link bracelet, close to gen size lugholes and springbars.

Plan on trimming the crown guards- what else is new?

This watch will take a gen crystal, but then you may have a challenge getting the crystal retaining ring and bezel back on. Worst case scenario is having to go with some gen-like rep parts- crystal retaining ring and bezel.  

Gen crown and tube are like all other reps- can be done fairly easily.

This watch will take a gen dial or good aftermarket dial.

Relume the dial and hands and it could be a killer watch!

Yea. I got tired of waiting and didn't wanna dish out a grand for a modded mbk so I went with a cheapie cartel.

For $118 bucks, it's pretty nice.

I figure this will hold me over until PT gets them back.

May mod this a little. The crown guards bug the [censored] out of me so I may shave those. Maybe get a athenya tube+crown and relume.

Other than that, the watch is fine. I don't feel the need to beat it to [censored] and make it look like it's been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for 30 years. You can still find pretty new looking gens.

Aside from the lume being a bit bright, the dial isn't bad either. The triangle needs to be bigger but only us rolex nuts notice these things.

To wear out of the box, it's a good buy.

You can try intimes 1680. I was very curious about that one. Looks like a cartel one but has the longer crown guards. It also has the right clasp i think.

That comes with a low beat eta I believe for $218

I was tempted to order that bc Ryan's a really nice guy but wanted to see if I liked them first.

Now I'm in love with them and want PT one to mod

The catch to the MBK 1680 case is the dial window is sized for a 5512/13 dial but the inside of the case will only accept a rolex 1575 date movement. They were originally made for Eta 2836.

A no date 1520/60/70 mounts too close to the front of the case.

MBK cases are hard to beat for Eta projects, the trouble is they do not show up for sale very often.

Found a guy over at rwi but he wants 650 us for it jeez hefty Price haha

$650 for a mbk is pretty standard honestly.

They were roughly $500 back when they were plentiful from what I've read.

That's about as good as it gets for a 1680 rep though.

I like the watch but not enough to spend $650.

Like I said, cartel isn't bad. It just needs some work.

CG shaping and a 703 crown will have it looking pretty good.

RA does do some amazing work and can make the cartel case look damn good by shaving the crown and tube but I don't like shipping reps across borders. If he was in the US, I would have sent my watch to him the day I got it.

Bc1121 is right, this is about what a complete MBK 1680 will go for today. I was thinking it was $650 for an empty case.

I paid about $400 each for two in April 2012 (new complete swisseta 1680s) and have watched them jump up in price since then.

Mine have the gasket under the inner bezel like a later model genuine 1680 and afaik current Yuki cases do not but I have not looked. Do not know about cartel cases. I doubt the extra gasket is really necessary...on dry land anyway.

I will say this...I was surprised at how well finished they are. Put a 21600 beat swisseta in one and you will have a very good watch that will go 20+ years if you take care of it and have it serviced now and then. The case and case back lettering is not too hot though.

If there is any such thing as 'classic replicas'...MBK 1680, 5512/13 and SD qualify.

Great Then im not totally wrong there

Guess the search continue

Talked to JJ (rolex addict ) but he can first take my watch in september and no mather what it will be a Cartel if i dont get a mbw in the next months time i Guess i will go with a Cartel one

I'd get the cartel one- it'll take a better dial, get JJ to work the cgs, make a few other improvements and you'll have a good watch.

A 2846-2 would be a nice addition- maybe you could find one on the bay- like automatico says, it's a good investment for the long haul.

MBW with T-19 ,Gen insert and a bit of work done,second is a cartel with a few bits getting doneimage_3_zpsfa80b3f6.jpgIMG_4166_zps83a07af1.jpg

Wow mate They look good mate really you do your own work ??

Yep, the problem with the MBW 1680s is everyone has too much money in them!

I got mine for $440 from RBJ69- Red Big Joe- back in 2006. He put on a better rep crown!, trimmed the cgs, evened up the lume between the hands and the dial and installed a gen T-127 which I supplied- $25 bucks from Jared on VRF. Don't remember what he charged me but it was at least $250. 

I installed the gen insert, drilled the lugholes and put a gen 93150 w/ 580 ends on it. I scratched the heck out of the cyclops at the gun range on a concrete bench! Swiss 2836-2 w/ a nice 16800 type DWO- perfect for a 3035 build!

P1000290-1.jpg

I hate the MBW red sub dial- I thank By-Tor for that, but he's right about it- it's just not a good dial- red print is too big. LHOOQ got me a white MBW 1680 dial when he was in Bangkok. I've got a 2846-2 and a MBW silver DWO with correct fonts. Relume the dial and hands and install the 702 crown and tube which I have and it would be a $1,500 sub. It's amazing what you can put into a rep! But as automatico says, it will last for 20 years if serviced, maybe longer!

Nice pics.  Very nice, indeed.  

I know you are itching to get one of these fast, but if you can find a Puretime in M2M sales that might be the best overall way to go, in my opinion.  I'm no expert, though. There's a thread over on RWI that Rolex Addict posted in, and he said that one of the best cases he's worked on is the Puretime.  People on other boards have said it takes a gen sized dial (I can't confirm that), it does take a gen crown without having to replace the tube, and it will also take a gen crystal.  The issue with crystal replacements is two-fold.  You have the funky plastic gasket to deal with, but RA said it works to just throw it and put the bezel assembly back on without it.  Or you can get JMB to custom make a retaining ring for you.  The second issue is the position of the date window if you put in a gen crystal with date magnifier.  The date window is in the ETA position, not the Rolex date position, so the gen cyclops will be shifted a bit.  You can either ignore it since it isn't that big of a deal, or go with something like a T19, which I think is glorious.

The bezel teeth and shape of the bezel on the PT is really nice.  Compared to a lot of gens I have studied, mine is right in line in terms of shape and teeth.  The insert is also right in line with the thin font service replacements that were issued, and it has a nice vintage pearl, so I'm very happy with mine overall.  It comes stock with the low beat 2846, so no need to do any movement swapping or anything like that.  Out of the box it is fantastic.

Here's my Puretime red Mark 1 dial with a gen vintage crown.  I only paid $10 more for my gen crown than what Athaya is charging for his 702, but he didn't have those back then.  If that had been available 3 years ago when I bought this, I would have chosen the 702 instead, as it is period correct for the reds.  Although service replacements were 703 so both are correct.  You can't really see this in any of the pics I have taken of it with my phone, but under magnification the red Submariner text is printed over white, just like the early gen reds were.  It's a really cool little WIS feature that absolutely nobody would ever know, except for the complete nerds.  If they know enough to notice that, then they will immediately notice the flat, glossy lume markers which are way more wrong than the red text is right.  LOL  I think that will be easy to fix someday, though.  Some clear matte finish spray might remove the glossy look, as well as add a slight bit of texture to the dial.

When studying the crown guard shape from the side, I think they just need a slight rounding of the very tips.  The ends come to a slight point, where it should be rounded instead.  Very quick and easy to do and then it will be perfect.

The lug engravings are wrong, so if you put it on a nato or strap it will reveal the wrong engravings.  Other than that, it's awesome.

20140620_124126.jpg

20140620_124738.jpg

20140811_155855.jpg

20140811_163033.jpg

20140811_164306.jpg

Nice pics.  Very nice, indeed.  

I know you are itching to get one of these fast, but if you can find a Puretime in M2M sales that might be the best overall way to go, in my opinion.  I'm no expert, though. There's a thread over on RWI that Rolex Addict posted in, and he said that one of the best cases he's worked on is the Puretime.  People on other boards have said it takes a gen sized dial (I can't confirm that), it does take a gen crown without having to replace the tube, and it will also take a gen crystal.  The issue with crystal replacements is two-fold.  You have the funky plastic gasket to deal with, but RA said it works to just throw it and put the bezel assembly back on without it.  Or you can get JMB to custom make a retaining ring for you.  The second issue is the position of the date window if you put in a gen crystal with date magnifier.  The date window is in the ETA position, not the Rolex date position, so the gen cyclops will be shifted a bit.  You can either ignore it since it isn't that big of a deal, or go with something like a T19, which I think is glorious.

The bezel teeth and shape of the bezel on the PT is really nice.  Compared to a lot of gens I have studied, mine is right in line in terms of shape and teeth.  The insert is also right in line with the thin font service replacements that were issued, and it has a nice vintage pearl, so I'm very happy with mine overall.  It comes stock with the low beat 2846, so no need to do any movement swapping or anything like that.  Out of the box it is fantastic.

Here's my Puretime red Mark 1 dial with a gen vintage crown.  I only paid $10 more for my gen crown than what Athaya is charging for his 702, but he didn't have those back then.  If that had been available 3 years ago when I bought this, I would have chosen the 702 instead, as it is period correct for the reds.  Although service replacements were 703 so both are correct.  You can't really see this in any of the pics I have taken of it with my phone, but under magnification the red Submariner text is printed over white, just like the early gen reds were.  It's a really cool little WIS feature that absolutely nobody would ever know, except for the complete nerds.  If they know enough to notice that, then they will immediately notice the flat, glossy lume markers which are way more wrong than the red text is right.  LOL  I think that will be easy to fix someday, though.  Some clear matte finish spray might remove the glossy look, as well as add a slight bit of texture to the dial.

When studying the crown guard shape from the side, I think they just need a slight rounding of the very tips.  The ends come to a slight point, where it should be rounded instead.  Very quick and easy to do and then it will be perfect.

The lug engravings are wrong, so if you put it on a nato or strap it will reveal the wrong engravings.  Other than that, it's awesome.

quote]

Thanks mate Nice Reading there you sure you dont wanna part with yours haha ;)