When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Unexpected,....favorite ?

Richard Tracy

Have you experienced buying a watch on a whim,... never expecting much, but were

blown away by the quality ?

I paid about $100 for this piece, and it's taken me from all my much more expensive watches..

Maybe it's the alarm function which I use quite frequently,.. or maybe it's the all night lume

that I can rely on whenever I wake in the middle of the night and wonder what time it is..

I could also be the style that takes me anywhere I care to go, without as much as a blink..

I don't know.. all I know is that I haven't been able to remove this watch from my wrist for

over four months now... :wub:

167536-10746.jpg

167536-10747.jpg

Out of curiousity, how does that alarm work?

..you set the time in the white area, by the upper crown, then also wind the bell from there

as well.... Makes a cross between a knocking and buzzing sound that never fails to wake me

but doesn't alarm me either,.. if you know that I mean... :whistling:

RT,

The Memovox is a quartz, correct? I love the watch but don't think I want a quartz, at least one with a second hand.

I have a very attractive grey dial two-tone Seiko quartz with an alarm, but the alarm stopped working within a year. Actually I haven't worn it in ab. five years. It's smaller (diameter and thickness) and lighter than any of my reps, so today it feels cheap in comparison to my reps. I love the Memovox, but can probably do without the alarm, and would really prefer an automatic or manual.

By the way, in answer to the original question, I started out ambivalent about the Inge, as well as Pams, but the Inge and my 192 are two of my very favorites. I wouldn't call them impulse purchases, exactly, but my strong attraction definitely built slowly -- before I had them in hand, mind you. As soon as I received each of them, I knew they were the real deal.

I really liked the "reduced" Speedmaster rep, and it gave me appetite to buy the full size Moon Watch. I always thought the Moon Watch isn't for me until I had it on my wrist. For some reason pictures can't quite capture the feel of this watch.

The 38mm diameter was just too small for me and I sold this. But I really, really liked it... and want to buy the full size version eventually.

167569-10732.jpg

167569-10733.jpg

RT,

The Memovox is a quartz, correct? I love the watch but don't think I want a quartz, at least one with a second hand.

It's a manual wind.... hate quartz... would never buy one.... I can't tell you how many times I

have grabbed friends arm to check their watches.. and find that it's quartz,... :yuk:

I drop their arm like it's radioactive,.. yet they still go on smiling with a sh*t eating grin...

then go on to tell me how much they love it...proudly holding it up to my face or trying to

take if off to show me....while I back peddle away.... :lol:

Bothers me that they are so ignorant about watches... I say "is that an Automatic ?" Uhh,..

what's that.. yes...uh.. think so...

Hey ByTor,.. that's beauty... made more so, by your professional photography..

one reason I hesitate to post photos..... :black_eye:

Good one Kevin :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'd have to say that this AT with Gold indices has surprised me the most. It gets much more wrist time than I would have expected when I bought it. The Aqua Terra line is just simply understated elegance, yet somehow sporty.

Wow that is a gorgeous piece,.... I had that watch on my list once,.. then it got lost in the pam shuffle,...

now that I see it again..set off with that great strap,.. I think I will go for it,.. the gold indices make if

even better.... :D

I bought a pam 251 on a bracelet (white dial daylight) in the middle of all the pammania. I never really liked Panerai but the white chronograph caught my eye. I love chronos and this one is a monster compared to my daytonas. This is the only pam I own and it gets a lot more wrist time than I though it would. It was one of only two watches I brought with me to Vegas. The other was my TT daytona.

i'd have to say my 217 -- i picked it up on a whim from sichuan before he vanished -- it was $143 shipped for the asian unitas version with sapphire crystal. it seemed like a cheap way to see if i could wear a 47mm watch like the fiddy. i never would have guessed that it would become one of my favorite watches -- i think it is a unique piece given the large size and destro style (which i really like).

i think this watch is also my favorite watch/strap combination (217 on europelli shell cordovan with gold stitching). the gold stitching looks amazing with the gold hands, and the europelli shell cordovan straps are top notch. many thanks to subzero for thinking of it first (pic below is also his).

167594-10724.jpg

dt

Have you experienced buying a watch on a whim,... never expecting much, but were

blown away by the quality ?

I paid about $100 for this piece, and it's taken me from all my much more expensive watches..

Anybody see one of these w/ manual wind on any of the dealers websites? I'm thinking about getting one.. (so easily persauded).

It's tough because obviously you would not purchase a watch unless you thought you would enjoy it to begin with! So it is easier to choose a watch you THOUGHT you woudl love, only to end up NEVER wearing.

But I guess one that I really enjoy a lot more than I even expected in my Paul Newman Daytona. It's a pain being manual wind with such a small crown and all, and it is small, and yet whenever I wear it I juts love how it looks. It is NOT an every day beater for me because I think it is somewhat fragile, but a really cool watch nonetheless.

Anybody see one of these w/ manual wind on any of the dealers websites? I'm thinking about getting one.. (so easily persauded).

I got mine from Narikaa,...though at times TTK has them as well..

Hi Ubi,.. I'm still searching for a Jumbo version of that Patek,...

trying to stear clear of wm though... too expensive.. :o

Tvt,.. I don't expect much from a $100 piece,... but two were exceptional...

as high or higher in quality than any,..both were Jlc,.... one a reserve de marche...

Deltatahoe,.. is that a hoe from the delta ? I can see why you love that combo,..

I have got to get a cordovan strap.... ^_^

I am with TVT. Although I don't wear it that often for fear of its delicacy the Newman Daytona gives me great pride when wearing it. My other surprise was the 036. I had managed to avoid all manual wind luminors as I prefer having a date. I bought it simply because it was the infamous Josh 2005 but now I find myself wearing it often. :)

Since last July, I have purchased 9 reps and had not really paid any attention at all to Panerai, and now I own 6 of them. On a whim I saw this Parmigiani watch on Josh's site and really like it. The watch goes well with evening dress or a suit.

Here's the link :yu:

http://perfect-clones.com/pg10002-forma-he...ite-p-1542.html

I think Kruzer and myself must be reading each other's minds because the PAM 36 would rate VERY high on this list for me as well. I bought it mainly because it was inexpensive (at the markets in Guangzhou) was titanium and had a GREAT crown (plus NON recessed pin). I mean it was nice for sure but I already had many PAMs including virtually idenitcal models such as the 111. So I really thought it would be an ocassional at best watch (especially with a brown dial and all). As it turns out it is one of the few non gens that I wear often. I love the look and thw wieght of it and I find it to be my "fall" watch. I know it is odd but the colors just really fit colors I tend to wear in the fall and I love it. It also gets the most compliments of ANY watch I wear, even much "fancier" gens.

Oh, I have the PERFECT one for this.

I bought a Franck Muller vegas on a whim. It was under $20 in China and I figured what the hell, a func watch to wear out every once in a blue moon.

As it turns out the damn thing is built really well and has kept great time. What blows my mind is that it has the same working complication as the gen. I don't wear it often but when I go out to dinner with friends or somehting it is fun to have on. Cool watch and a throw away price, I should of bout a dozen of them.

@richard tracy, you're not far off. plenty of hoe's on the delta (especially at lost isle!), but as i'm sure you guessed, the hoe portion belongs to tahoe.

the delta & lake tahoe = my two favorite playgrounds. one for the winter, one for the summer. my avatar is actually a picture of my boat -- it's a 1983 mastercraft stars & bars (two tone khaki & brown).

Deltatahoe,.. is that a hoe from the delta ? I can see why you love that combo,..

I have got to get a cordovan strap.... ^_^

@richard tracy, you're not far off. plenty of hoe's on the delta (especially at lost isle!), but as i'm sure you guessed, the hoe portion belongs to tahoe.

the delta & lake tahoe = my two favorite playgrounds. one for the winter, one for the summer. my avatar is actually a picture of my boat -- it's a 1983 mastercraft stars & bars (two tone khaki & brown).

..thanks for the clarification.... since I recently moved to northern cali,.. I have been hearing that Tahoe

is the place to go for fun.... I guess they were right... ^_^

Tvt... I knew you had one in there somewhere... :D

Chrgod,.. $30,.... that is the deal of the century... :1a:

Hey Flave,.. you posted a smp 2000,... :whistling: