When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Popcorn Time

martijnp

I was reading they are working on the iOS application and it's pending for a certificate for the Apple App Store. So this might be good news! :)

Wow sounds Nice ( crossing my fingers ) but dont Think Apple will allow it sadly

Guys I am not up with the techy stuff much so can someone tell me if this will work....

I download Popcorn time on my laptop (not apple), then can I connect the laptop through my DVD via USB and stream the movies directly onto my TV?

Thanks

Ken

Guys I am not up with the techy stuff much so can someone tell me if this will work....

I download Popcorn time on my laptop (not apple), then can I connect the laptop through my DVD via USB and stream the movies directly onto my TV?

Thanks

Ken

That's what I did last night. I used the service for the first time. I hooked up my laptop via hdmi to my tv and watched the movie. No issues at all.

But not via USB KB! You will need an HDMI cable to connect your laptop to one of your TV's HDMI inputs. 

Just got the latest version of AppleTV and I can't find the AppleTV when I choose where to stream from. But I can duplicate my Mac through AppleTV (wireless) so this is working for me. No cables needed but would be nice to stream directly to AppleTV :)

FYI guys, I've been using this for a while. It's great but, it does use torrents as the backbone. Supposedly they run them through their own VPN but I have heard reports of people still getting flagged by their ISPs for torrent downloading. Other then that it works like a charm.

^^+1000. VPN is NOT relaible. My ISP received a cease and desist letter from the MPAA that sounded pretty ominous. They had the name of the movie/the time/who was logged in/ and the complete routing IP addresses. I may still be in trouble. Use with CAUTION.

Bob

Marti, there are two modes for air play. Normal mode and mirror mode. Mirror mode is what you are using now, and it works fine but sometimes lags at least in my network when watching 1080p. Normal mode is somewhat  different as in normal mode apple tv will stream and cache the content directly form the internet without using the PC as a proxy. Normal mode was initially supported by t4p but is broken since the last Apple TV software update I am sure they will fix it soon.

-Alex

Marti, there are two modes for air play. Normal mode and mirror mode. Mirror mode is what you are using now, and it works fine but sometimes lags at least in my network when watching 1080p. Normal mode is somewhat  different as in normal mode apple tv will stream and cache the content directly form the internet without using the PC as a proxy. Normal mode was initially supported by t4p but is broken since the last Apple TV software update I am sure they will fix it soon.

-Alex

Thanks for the reply Alex! 

I'm using the mirror mode at this moment when I stream via my macbook air or imac. My macbook pro is from 2010 and didn't have the airplay mode so I installed Air Parrot which works great on the Pro aswell! 

The mirrormode is doing the job at this moment but a complete stream would be better. Like you see in this picture, you can choose to stream through/Play on Chromecast :)

popcorn_time.png

• 1 month later...