When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Parts Advice

droptopman

Good afternoon,

I bought a modded 6538 the other day.  It is based on this watch http://www.helenarou.com/6538-homage-connery-bond-sub-watch-with-eta-2836-elabore-65382836.html

Anyone have experience with this case set?  Looking for a domed plexi and end links that will work with this case.  I assume a tropic 17 will work but has anyone fitted a gen spec crystal on one of these?  Also end links that fit the best.  

Trying to get the parts ordered and shipped while the watch is in transit.  The vintage craze continues  :pimp:

Thanks

When you read the specs for that watch, it says sapphire crystal. I don't think a plastic crystal will work.

I do think HR sells a Rolex dial, but it may even be 29mm- much bigger than a gen 6538 dial.

These homage watches are nice, but not terribly accurate

When you read the specs for that watch, it says sapphire crystal. I don't think a plastic crystal will work.

I do think HR sells a Rolex dial, but it may even be 29mm- much bigger than a gen 6538 dial.

Hi and thanks, it is this watch here http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/173500-big-dazza-works-his-magic-on-6538-big-crown/

I am sourcing parts for a franken 6538 build, but liked the looks of this one and it is something to wear while I work on the other piece.  I have seen other builds with HR cases, but cannot find any information on if a plexi can fit.  

I have a theory, and subsequent questions. While I'm more familiar with the 6542, I think that the older Submariners using the Rolex 1030 movement and the earlier movements had the same 'snap-on' mount of the dial to the movement. I know I tried to make a genuine 6542 dial work on an ETA movement in my first build, and had to grind down the lip on the dial.Those genuine Rolex dials are 26.5mm

The early 6542 and Subs used a 13mm minute hand, which is one mm longer than the later and current minute hand. On the 6542 the GMT hand is also 13mm. Both are 13mm from center mount to the tip, which reaches the chapter ring on the old gilt dials. 13mm would be the radius of the chapter ring, making the diameter of the chapter ring 26mm.  The genuine 26.5 dial doesn't leave any room for the dial to butt up against the rehaut, as later dials do.

Does the genuine 26.5 snap-on dial then fit just inside the rehaut? It seems to me that it has to.

And if so, then the 28mm dial used in the Hong Kong 'Tiger' case is accurate in that at least 2mm, 1mm bigger than the chapter ring all around, is necessary to butt up against the back of the rehaut. Probably a little more. That makes the 28mm or 29mm dial used accurate looking in that only 26.5 - 27mm actually shows.

The 6542 I am currently building is using the Hong Kong Tiger V2 case. I make my own dials using water-slide decals. The Tiger V2 case measures 38mm. The dial that fits the Tiger V2 case is 28mm, butting up against the back of the rehaut. But the chapter ring at 26mm just does allow the 'SWISS' to show at the bottom.

I've not held nor seen a genuine 1030 movement, genuine dial or genuine 6542 or 6538, so all I can do is look at pictures and speculate what they are like. But is sure seems to me that when building a replica using an ETA or DG movement, a dial to fit the movement and the replica case, the final 'look' is the same size as the genuine. 

Does that make sense?  

It looks as though the TigerV2 case is no longer available. Rafflestime, onlinestorehk and Tiger Concepts all have told me that the V2 case is no longer available. The profile of the helenarou case looks good, but I have no idea if it is a plexi crystal, or if it is, if it mounts as the gen does with the retainer. 

Good afternoon,

I bought a modded 6538 the other day. It is based on this watch http://www.helenarou.com/6538-homage-connery-bond-sub-watch-with-eta-2836-elabore-65382836.html

Anyone have experience with this case set? Looking for a domed plexi and end links that will work with this case. I assume a tropic 17 will work but has anyone fitted a gen spec crystal on one of these? Also end links that fit the best.

Trying to get the parts ordered and shipped while the watch is in transit. The vintage craze continues :pimp:

Thanks

I have built a couple on the HR platform. I was able to use plexi purchased from cousins. I don't recall the size now but if you locate one of my 6538 posts its there. I also modified the bezel to be bidirectional. I really like the HR platform although it is a bit pricey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, I have a 5513 project going right now, soon as that is done I will send this off for some work on the case bevels, plexi and probably a gen insert.  Thanks for the information.  I am a little concerned about water resistance, as mine currently is "water proof"....allegedly.