When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting Ready And Packing To Move To Australia

ajoesmith

Hi All

Well the time has come for me to pack up and finally get ready for moving to Australia. Im going to Brisbane to go to University and do a Graduate Diploma in teaching. If all goes well Ill be able to live in Australia for good :D

BUT.......

Ive got 14 watches and as you can imagine am worried about getting through the airport.

I have 3 nice watch cases though so they would all look the part.

Im going with the Mrs so we'll have plenty of bags with us to split the watches between bags...... or maybe i shouldnt.

What the heck should i do???.

I also have lots of watch parts including movements, dials, hands, cases etc.... and lots of tools so if i were to be caught i could say im an amateur watch repairer (which i kind of am although just as a hobby :D )??

anyone have any idea as to the best approach??

Thanks

Joe

First of all, I would NOT check the bags with watches in them if you want to keep them. Baggage handlers steal property all of the time from passengers bags. I would keep them in your carry on luggage all in a nice box or travel pouch. No one will ever call them out as fake. Especially if you have proof you are relocating. Just be sure not to have a lighter on you. It seemed like security's only concern last time I flew was if I had a lighter in my pocket. This is all assuming you are flying from the US.

No offence to SmoothOperator but do you realise that one of the Admin team (offshore) is on the Gold Coast.

Maybe he realises, but who wants the boss putting a damper on the party? :lol:

Just kidding, I wish I was in an area where I had the chance to hang out with the admin. Maybe a free vip membership after a few drinks eh?

Australian customs are really STRICT. One of the strictest customs I have ever come across. On the plane you have fill out declaration form and let me tell u, do not lie. Now, they check almost every baggage & hand carries. If you did not declare the items, u'll be slapped with a heavy fine (and if lucky, get to appear on TV 'Border Security' :lol:) If I were u, I would ship to someone I know or get someone to ship it once I am in Australia. Just my opinion on this matter really. It is risk I know I would not take. And with reps, who knows what u might get. Not a good way to start a new life in Australia if u get caught. Your choice. :)

Maybe he realises, but who wants the boss putting a damper on the party? :lol:

Maybe a free vip membership after a few drinks eh?

Quite a few!!!!!

Offshore

@Joe,

I'm with Cornerstone on this one, 'cept I would get a list of them signed by your departing customs, declare them on arrival, and show them the list from departing customs. It wouldn't hurt to have a few books, repair manuals, watch books etc in it to. Make sure you list the tools as well.

Look forward to seeing you in sunny Oz.

Offshore

By the way, I lived in Newcastle and went to Uni of Newcastle. It is a large town/small city on the coast just north of Sydney. While in Australia, I was able to travel the entire east coast, and for some unknown reason, I met the hottest women in Brisbane. It was probably completely random, but I loved the night life there. Its a great city in a great country. Overall, it was definately a memorable experience.

EDIT: Also, I concur that the customs in Australia is tough... but my impression was that the customs officials were more interested in pest quarentine and making sure the person entering does not have any plants/dirt with them.

As a side point, when you enter Australia, check the little box which says you have been on a farm.

You will immediately go to the quarantine lane, they will scrape & disinfect all your shoes.

You could have a tonne of drugs in your bag, but the quarantine guys are really only interested in your dirty shoes. I carried some timber artifacts in a year or so ago, and declared them. They were not interested in my watches, cigarettes, liquor.. or anything else... see.. you are in the quarantine lane... and we don't want foot & mouth! :p

Works for me.

Offshore

If you are planning for good in Australia later. Do not bring all the watch with you. Pick one or two you like most and ask some of your friends to send the remaining to you later. DO NOT risk to bring all of them in by yourself as if you are unlucky, you will get a record and it affects your application as PR later.

^^^ so true. As I mentioned before, if I were you, I wouldnt do it. Last thing you want is get a record in a foreign country. Two or three watches max. If u do not want to part with them, get someone to ship over. I have never EVER had any watch confiscated by mail. Best of luck.

Eh? The risk is you lose a few reps.

It's exactly the same as getting them posted to you strictly speaking.

You don't understand the legal ramifications at all. That's just a fact and you know it to be true, so don't take it personally. Do both of you a favor and don't make uneducated guesses about someone else's important decisions.

You don't understand the legal ramifications at all. That's just a fact and you know it to be true, so don't take it personally. Do both of you a favor and don't make uneducated guesses about someone else's important decisions.

:lol: Kanerich, mate, this is actually pretty funny. If you knew anything about me, you would know why. But, honestly, I am not in the habit of making uneducated guesses.

So enlighten me - what are the precise legal ramifications, and how are they different from having the watches posted?

for some unknown reason, I met the hottest women in Brisbane. It was probably completely random, but I loved the night life there.

Are the women easy ? ;)