When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stuttering Movement?

Epanoui

Well I finally got my noobmariner today and it seems to be having an issue.

1st, and this might be unrelated but I thought I'd mention it first just in case it is related, I noticed the crown is rather flimsy and really weird feeling. Almost like grinding metal, just really rough. When screwing it back again, it feels like it just catches on everything. And I noticed once, on the final turn of screwing it back in, the minute hand moved ?!? lol. So I had to unscrew it and set the time again.

2nd, and this is the main issue, my movement seems to stutter. The second hand specifically "skips" rather weirdly, but it always seems to catch back up with itself. I can't describe the problem very well in words, so I uploaded a video of it. It's a dark video but I think you can clearly see what happens, watch the whole thing. And also note that it doesn't matter where the minute and hour hands are, it happens everywhere around the clock, so I don't think it's getting hung up on those.

LINK: Movie Link

LINK:

It's a large file, 27mb, so try right clicking and using "save target as" on windows or "download linked file" on mac.

I've uploaded it to YouTube as well, the second link, and it's lower quality but I think you can still see the stuttering.

Any help is appreciated! Cheers.

That is most certainly NOT normal in any way! The second hand should have a nice smooth sweep. As far as screwing it in goes, well welcome to the world of reps. You often will find that things like screw down crowns simply lack the silky feel or quality you might hope for, but they generally function fine.

Sounds like you have a bad movement and it should be replaced no questions by the dealer.

Unfortunately stuttering second hands with the 21j Asian movement is normal, it's the nature of the design. The Zigmeister has posted about this before.

Be slow and careful when operating the 21J, I broke a clutch return lever in the keyless works on my first noobmariner, you sort of have to ease the stem out with a back and forth jiggle for the keyless works to engage properly. I've serviced both of mine and they work much better but straight out of the box they are not so good.

When screwing the crown back down I've found it best to press it down and screw it back wards until it sort of settles then screw it down properly.

The grinding you feel is dirt/debris, when the threads are clean and oiled with stem grease it feels very smooth.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I talked with the dealer and he said he has heard of these symptoms before and will send me a new one after the new year. As it does still keep the time (I think) I'll still wear it and just try to ignore the stuttering.

Also, as far as the crown, can I just put a droplet of oil on the screw? Or is that not how it's done?

Guys, watch the viedeo, he is not talking about a rough sweep, he is tralking about some crazy stuttering effect where the second hand stops for a second or two and then jumps forward again. I have never had this on ANY watch (even cheap asian movements) and I certainly would not call it normal or acceptable. In may not be uncommon as those Asian movements are low end, but I sure would not accept it.

I'm glad to hear the dealer will correct it.

Looks like a symptom of the second hand slipping. The hand itself is just not tight enough on its pinion. Alternatively, the wheel may have been pressed down when setting the hands and the gears are not making good contact. Hooray for TZ watch school.!

Yeah, but this one is not well Ziggy, its jumping more than stuttering...

Agreed, I had a "stuttering" 21j that kept great time but could give you a seizure if you looked at it for too long. This one looks nothing like the problem I had. It is more jumping than stuttering as you said.