When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 16800 Late Transitional Franken - Would appreciate some guidance

jigelow

So I didn't really know what I wanted to build when I started this. I have not done a build before, but there were a few on my list that sounded like it would be fun sourcing parts and getting this together. I finally ran across a few sales that pointed me to this direction, mainly due to price. I have a gen WG surround, gloss with spotting dial, gen hands, gen insert, gen crystal, gen 704 crown and tube, and have spoken with misiekped about servicing a Yuki 3135 for me when I get my hands on it.

The direction I need is case and date wheel. Being 16800, I'd like to have at least a case that has fully drilled lug holes. I'm sure I could achieve this myself; however, I'm a bit hesitant buying a TC or Yuki case and making a mistake and trashing it. Does anyone actually sell a 16610 case with drilled lug holes?

Finally, the date wheel. With the Yuki 3135, I have to change the date wheel since the one it comes with is rubbish. Through my arduous reading and photo viewing, most mid-80s 16800s had open-6 open-9 date wheels and even a few had silver date wheels. Is there a solution for this for the 3135 date wheel order?

Thanks in advance for your advice. In my short time here, I've learned a lot that I didn't on the other boards. Thanks also to misiekped for advice on the movement. Can't wait to get one to you for servicing!

There are a few modders that drill virgin lug holes. Jmb and pbdad I think both offer it.

I've been wanting to do a 16800 build with a matte dial since I got in to reps but no good cases for it.

The TC case would prob be your best option but the rehaut is wrong for a 16800. ST case would be the one to go for but they are hard to come by.

I think the old noobmariners have the right rehaut depth but I don't know if those will take a gen/yuki movement.

As for the date wheel, if you're using a yuki 3135, you should be able to use a gen date wheel. You can buy vintage date wheels on eBay. Not cheap but it's the best.

Good luck. I'd love to see how it turns out. Like I said, I've wanted one for some time but the cost of doing a great build is almost as much as buying a used gen.

There are a few modders that drill virgin lug holes. Jmb and pbdad I think both offer it.

I've been wanting to do a 16800 build with a matte dial since I got in to reps but no good cases for it.

The TC case would prob be your best option but the rehaut is wrong for a 16800. ST case would be the one to go for but they are hard to come by.

I think the old noobmariners have the right rehaut depth but I don't know if those will take a gen/yuki movement.

As for the date wheel, if you're using a yuki 3135, you should be able to use a gen date wheel. You can buy vintage date wheels on eBay. Not cheap but it's the best.

Good luck. I'd love to see how it turns out. Like I said, I've wanted one for some time but the cost of doing a great build is almost as much as buying a used gen.

I'm starting to realize that bit about cost you mentioned. It adds up quick!

I've found a lot of gen dates wheels, but the only ones with the opens are for the 3035, which won't work. All the 3135 wheels I've found are the newer digits. I didn't know if there was any way to get the best of both worlds.

If you were doing the mods and work yourself, the cost wouldn't be so bad but if you're outsourcing and trying to do a solid build with gen parts, it's gonna cost almost as much as a gen.

If I were you I'd scrap the yuki 3135 and the gen parts.

With the available options, this is what I would do.

Buy a TC V6.

Get lug holes drilled.

Swap to a yuki 16800 dial and have the hands relumed to match.

Get a vintage DWO for $30.

That would be about $600 for the TC + $150 or so for yuki dial and vintage DWO.

I'd also pick up a yuki bracelet with end links and gen spring bars.

You could do the whole build for around a grand.

With gen and yuki parts, you're looking at a lot more.

If you were doing the mods and work yourself, the cost wouldn't be so bad but if you're outsourcing and trying to do a solid build with gen parts, it's gonna cost almost as much as a gen.

If I were you I'd scrap the yuki 3135 and the gen parts.

With the available options, this is what I would do.

Buy a TC V6.

Get lug holes drilled.

Swap to a yuki 16800 dial and have the hands relumed to match.

Get a vintage DWO for $30.

That would be about $600 for the TC + $150 or so for yuki dial and vintage DWO.

I'd also pick up a yuki bracelet with end links and gen spring bars.

You could do the whole build for around a grand.

With gen and yuki parts, you're looking at a lot more.

I appreciate the advice. I'm already invested in this past the point of going that route. The process, for me, is to build something that is unique and is at the same time a bit of work. I'll assemble it myself. I've taken apart and replace and reassembled enough watches to get a feel for what I'm getting in to. If it was a matter of servicing the movement or dealing with a SubC bezel, that'd be different.

Edited by jigelow

someone on RWI did a nice 16800 build.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=200247

specs are listed in the post.

i wish ST still made those cases. it was pretty much the only option for a 16800.

i forgot about the bevel. that can be replicated but it wont be cheap. i think pbdad can create them.

you could get that done while getting lug holes drilled.

Kuvarsit sells a 16610 case with lugholes, but it lacks the gen-like bezel assembly. Best bet is TC case and have the lugholes drilled.

The 16800, 168000 and the 16610 are all so close- Rolex was making all three in 1988 and the parts were all the same except for the case and the movements. Same dials, hands, bezel, insert, and crowns/tube. You could build an early 16610- especially since you're using a yuki 3135.

My gen 16610, R serial from 1988 also has the old style datewheel with the open 6s and 9s.

e74c5be4-b066-4014-8374-fbc555034ac2_zps

I built the 16800 with a gen matte dial and put it in the ST case 3-4 years ago, but you can't do that these days

photo-27.jpg

ST case, gen relumed matte dial, swiss 2834-2, gen crown and gen bezel insert, 93150 with 593 ends.

Another consideration might be the ST 3135 case- it'll take your yuki 3135 and got the dial. A gen DW and good insert and you're on your way- just call it an early 16610  

yea.. kuvarsit i think actually sells a 16800 i believe.

pretty pricey though. i think it was around $500 bucks and it housed a clone movement.

like i said, if it were me id just mod a TC V6. 

lug holes, change dial, relume hands and get a vintage dwo.

sell the TC Dial and recoup some of the cost.

For a 16800 you need a case meant for the 3035 movement not the 3135. The case on the 16800 is thicker than 16610 case. If you get a 16610 case, drill holes and put a 3135 in it your not building a 16800 your building a 16610 with lug holes...

I have a compmete ST 3035 case set that I'm not using, if your interested pm me and I'll put up a sales ad so it's official.

yea.. kuvarsit i think actually sells a 16800 i believe.

pretty pricey though. i think it was around $500 bucks and it housed a clone movement.

like i said, if it were me id just mod a TC V6. 

lug holes, change dial, relume hands and get a vintage dwo.

sell the TC Dial and recoup some of the cost.

If I was starting out with nothing and didnt want to actually build something, that'd be the route I went. As I stated, I already have all gen dial, hands, crystal, insert, crown, and tube.

I guess I need to determine if I'm going to call this a 16800 or a 16610. Sounds like I could really go either way, but the 16800 would be more difficult.

• Like 1

Buy a TC case set, throw a yuki 3135 in it amd call it a 16610. A 16800 is possible with the st case but unless you have a line on a 3035 movement you'd have to use a 2836 and a movement ring, rafflestimes #2. But then you couldn't use your gen dial (unless you clipped the dial feet) and hands (don't think they're even close to fitting an eta)...

WOW! I love that dial rower! A beautiful c. 1984 dial- same dial print as the earlier matte dials, but with the new wg surrounds. Awesome! Does it say Beyeler on the back?

I don't remember it saying Beyeler. I'm not familiar with that. Please tell me more.

Beyeler was making 16800 dials in the early 1980s.

P1000185-3.jpg

this is a matte dial from 1981

it's the same dial print as your dial has rower, only difference is yours is later with the white gold surrounds, c. 1984.

this 1680 dial is also a Beyeler, circa 1978, it's called a MKII

1680sub2.jpg

By 1988 dials had changed- this is a 168000, R serial

DSC033571.jpg

Completely different from the earlier 80s dials- smaller print for Submariner and 1000ft/300m.

I think by this time Rolex was doing the dials in-house. I don't know if they bought Singer and/or Beyeler at that time or what.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll have to do that once I recover from the movement purchase. I wasn't expecting to be buying it now, but couldn't rationalize turning it down since it is exactly where I'd end up down the road. This just saves time and a bunch on shipping it all over to have it serviced and modded.

Now to try to find a 3135 date wheel with open 6 & 9.