When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The worlds best watches for 2014

KB

More than half of those are sadly just plain boring or horrifyingly ugly. Haute Horologie often sidesteps classic refinement/beauty in its translation into "groundbreaking technology" and in that loses me altogether. Richard Mille and Urwerk come to mind, and anything MB&F as purely awful interpretations.

What is neat I think is the Sequential One and Two by MCT and the Zeitwerk by Lange.

The point is, according the previous article I read, that they give awards for very many different aspects of watchmaking.

For example that Bvlgari won the best jeweled watch and I have no doubt it is but it still hurts my eyes.

Ken

The Omega chronograph is Ok but since the new swatch 'no parts 4U' policy, thehellwith'em. The only one I could take seriously is the Seiko GS GMT...if it was $399 retail. It actually looks like a watch.

The EMC looks like a $12 kid watch.

The Lange looks like crop circles.

The emerald and diamond Bull-garish looks like something ET puked up on the second bounce when he landed.

The white bread aka Blancpain looks like it was made out of a Persian cat head.

The Gronefeld looks like a child molester clown smiling at a kid.

The Claret looks like a '60s trippie hippie passed out face down in a daisy patch.

The De Bethune with the out of round case looks like it is has no idea what time it is.

The Voutilainen looks like snakes boiling up out of a witch cauldron.

The Hublot conFusion would pass for a 'buy it now' $75 Invicta.

The Beguet 2422 has sort of a classic look, something like what Jack the Ripper might have worn.

The Urban Jergensen looks like it has Inspector Clouseau's magnifier for an hour hand and a windshield wiper at the top.

The Zenith looks like it blew up and they stuffed the parts back in the case before anyone noticed.

Maybe remove the Omega and Seiko and call it 'The World's Worst Watches For 2014'.   :pimp:

I also wish the dials on Zenith watches weren't getting so crapped up under this new guy.

Nataf gave us all-new watches that looked like poo. Dufour tossed those out and resurrected Zenith's classics. Magada is combining those two approaches by defacing familiar and loved designs with open hearts, Rolling Stones logos &c.

Out of this list, I'll take the GS GMT.