When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1 Year Later, OH how my tastes have changed!

droptopman

Good morning,

I realized this morning that I have spent 1 year here at RWG.  What a great year it has been.  I have learned so much over the past year and have developed some great friendships along the way.  I have determined that I am hopelessly obsessed with watches and this great hobby in general.   I owe a great debt to the forum and to many of you who have helped me individually.  Thank you.  

I have always loved watches, especially Rolexes, but never really knew much about them, other than I liked the way they looked and felt and that they had automatic movements.  I have owned a handful of gens over the years, but to be honest I did not even know the model numbers just the names.  I always considered myself a "watch collector" but the reality is that I was clueless about the details.  I did read enough to know that Rolex was making a lot of changes to their product line over the last few years.  

I have told this story before.  I joined the forum initially to try out some modern Rolex's as I was getting ready to buy a new gen.  I wanted to try out the larger sizes and ceramic inserts.  My last gen purchase was a Yachtmaster back in 2008 and I had recently sold it to a friend.  I had a nice fund put aside for a new gen, but was unsure if I would like the new models, so finding this place would give me the opportunity to try out some new models to help decide what gen to eventually buy.  I never knew this would turn into a full on addiction...  

My first purchase when I joined the forum was a BK Sub C, I ordered this within days of joining the forum--after much reading and research.  I lost track but I think I went through about 30+ reps over the year.  Most were modded or frankens, but also bought my share of OTB reps.  Tried every modern Rolex rep I thought I might like....  

As I spent more time on the forum, there was a paradigm shift from modern to vintage timepieces.  After seeing all the beautiful vintage builds by members here, I found myself reading and studying vintage pieces more and more.

I am fascinated with vintage Rolexes much more than modern ones.  The thin cases, elegant lines, and simplistic beauty.  Also really liked the idea of doing builds so I could pick my own parts and style to the piece.  It seems that my tastes have changed considerably and if you look at my current collection, it appears that I really like no date, domed plexi, simple timepieces.  

First photo is from August 2014, as you can see the only vintage piece is the 16750.  TC LN was on my wrist that day, but I have since sold it.

post-60288-0-62857400-1419612678_thumb.j

The next photo was taken last weekend and is my current collection.  Please do not make fun of my quartz row. 

post-60288-0-14070900-1419612757_thumb.j

Almost all of the modern pieces have been sold and replaced with vintage builds.  The DJ and DD were build by Mymanmatt and have sentimental value, so not sure if I will part with them.  The 16613 is an old rep that is not very accurate and is not gen spec, but has solid gold bezel and bracelet so not sure what to do with it.  I really do not wear it anymore.  

I am pretty happy with the current stable.  There is a TC LV on the way, but honestly do not know if I will wear it.    

Only current project going on is a real deal 6538 fraken build with gen movement and all the goodies.  Just in the acquiring parts phase.  That and sourcing more tools so I can do more work on my own.  I really enjoy working on them. At some point will attempt a full disassembly and reassemble.  

One fact that I would have not expected.  I joined other forums and some gen forums and the gen Rolex knowledge base here is quite amazing.  Just blows me away at the knowledge and experience some of our members have.  Like a Rolex encyclopedia.  I have scoured the internet before looking for an answer, spend hours looking, then PM another member and they know right away.  One of the great benefits of being part of this awesome community, the shared experiences and information.  

Been an awesome ride and I really find much peace, harmony and happiness from the hobby and this community.  You have become part of my daily life.  A part that provides me much joy.

Many thanks to RWG and the great members of the forum.

Mark     

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Mark. Pretty new to this forum but the amount of knowledge I have picked up on Replicas in a short space of time has been very rewarding thanks to RWG. Wish I had more time to study up on a few things and like you the one thing that has already piqued my interest is the more vintage side of collecting. Looking forward to researching that some more. Bit remote here in South Africa and envious of the access to resources,builders,parts etc that are available in CONUS/EU and the seemingly ease of delivery within those zones but still enjoying this considerably. Hopefully in a year will have a watch box that looks more like yours!

Droptop. Great story. I've always been taught that "knowledge shared is power" and one thing I really love about this place, is the amount of members that will willingly share that knowledge. I too many years ago just liked Rolex watches, now I'm passing what I know on to others, and that's what's great!

Along with all those who I have become friends with.!!

Merry Xmas!

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

Well said, gents. This place is about far more than watches.

One of my favorite quotes is the St. Crispian's Day speech from Henry V., and it fits this place nicely:

"This day is call'd the feast of Crispian. He that outlives this day, and comes safe home, will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd, and rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age, will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours, and say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'

Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars, and say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.' Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot, but he'll remember, with advantages, what feats he did that day. Then shall our names, familiar in his mouth as household words- Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter, Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester- be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son; and Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered-

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition; and gentlemen in England now-a-bed shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."