When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever sold a Gen to buy the Rep?

SuperDanX

Just wondered if anyone had ever sold a gen watch and replaced it with a rep version? I know it happens a lot the other way around, but has anyone ever done this and why?

Many of us have a lot of money tied up in genuine watches and it often crosses my mind as to whether the difference is worth it? particularly in the case of custom build pieces. I don't think I'll ever do it but your never know I suppose!

Edited by SuperDanX

I have told this story before:

Yes, back in 2004 I traded my beloved genuine 16613 for a Corvette race car shell and bought my first rep to replace it.  I still have that rep today.  The 16613 was my first Rolex so it had a lot of sentimental value, but the car was one of those deals that does not come along very often and I had to make a really quick on the spot decision.  I sold the Corvette quickly and later that year bought a gen two tone datejust, but kept that rep and have worn it a lot over the last 10 years.  I miss my old 16613 but it was worth doing that deal--the watch needed a long overdue service also....   

Oh yeah, sold everthing I had, daughter in college and now getting into reps. Just bought a beautiful 1675 and in my eyes feels just as good. I started going a bit wild with gens, last purchase was a red Sub and I just couldn´t have 10 grand tied up in a wristwatch and my kid needing a car; I don´t miss them a bit.

I suppose it all depends if you need quick access to the funds or not, or have a need for the funds right now.

If the answer is no and no, and the moneys just going to be sitting in a savings account making 0.1% APR interest, and you enjoy the gen, keep it.

I used to have a gen Tag Link Calibre 16 Chrono which I sold after about half a year along with some other stuff I didn't necessarily need to fund a short term investment. That paid out very well but I did never buy the gen back as just when I was going to, I read a lot about how awesome the rep is :)

Guest kingfrog

Would not consider selling a gen for a rep. May buy a rep to test drive before buying the gen though. There is nothing like wearing a gen. You just know it's real and that makes all the difference. Of course if one needs the money sell away. But in the long run with Rolex you won't lose money on a gen Sub if purchased right.  

I sold my gen 16610 when I discovered hi-end reps.I said I would never go back to gen. What's the point. That was then.

5 years later, I have a nice little collection of gens, frankens and reps. I always need some gens for certain ocassions and functions.

Last summer I travelled with my gen GMT and somehow, the crown got loose and flooded the case. The servcing for that and replacing the dial and hands reminded me that it's best to swim with a cheap beater!

props to the guy who sold a gen, bought a rep and a racecar with the money.

no gen can be as fun as a f---ing racecar.

That's what I thought  a year ago,he  I sols my 1016 tofund the puchase of a MINI Cooper.  I am as happy as I can be driving the car, which is not the same as having the watch in the safe. I'm now looking for a high quality rep vintage Explorer, that will replace the gen. Although I suspect it won't feel the same as the gen on my wrist.  Ah. I forgot to say the car is gen and not a rep.

• 2 weeks later...