When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the smart-strap the answer for luxury watch brands?

dbane883

It appears more and more that the luxury brands are worried about being left behind with the Apple Watch coming out in a few months.  I guess market share is always a concern.  Sure purists will always favour a mechanical movement, but you just never know how their business could be disrupted.  

Looks like Montblanc is hoping an e-strap will give their target market the best of both worlds.  

Personally would never buy a strap of this kind for any of my watches.... But for a student, would this not be a great way to hide your cheat notes on tests?

Montblanc-Timewalker-urban-speed-e-strap

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/montblanc-e-strap-combines-smart-wearable-device-mechanical-watch-timewalker-urban-speed-collection/

Smartwatches... I don't see the need. Do we not have everything we need on a smartphone?

I just had this debate over New Year's eve dinner with a friend. While I have way too many Apple gadgets, an e- watch is not in my sights. If Rolex would design something that looked like a rolex and could magically turn into a smartwatch by touching the crown... Maybe but I don't see this happening.

Think I will never need a smartwatch, but I still remember many people saying they would never buy/own a handy.

If future technology and office rules dictates this, it´s good to know there will be alternatives as aftermarket straps with the technology.

That is and intriguing idea. Sort of the best of both worlds. I doubt that this will catch on as it would add a lot of bulk to the watch/band combo. However who knows, as miniaturization gets better and better, the whole strap might become a screen. Right now, I would have to pass on this band /smart watch combo.

I ran into a guy here a few weeks back in the cafe, checking his Smartwatch & Phone at the same time.

I asked him what watch was he wearing, he said the Moto 360. Then I asked what exactly was he doing

and he replied, checking to make sure his Smartwatch was in-sync with his phone. So what's the point

of wearing a Smartwatch, if you still need to check your phone to make sure they are in-sync!

I don't see the point of owning or wearing a Smartwatch!

Dave...