When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cool Seiko 5 for just 59 bucks!

martijnp

Guys, I just ran into this article on the web. 

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-10.55.45-AM-66

By
Jack Archer

Talk about a steal. We’re not suggesting you throw your Submariner on eBay in favor of this thing, but if you’re just getting into the watch game or are looking for a radical gift for a friend or family member—this bad boy, the Seiko Men’s SNK809, is your ticket. Here’s what we’re looking at…
— AUTOMATIC movement. No little battery and computer chip powering this thing, it’s all gears and old school engineering keeping this thing ticking. This sort of thing normally costs a pretty penny.
— Has a slick and durable mineral crystal dial window and features luminosity, sweeping second hand, exhibition case back, and a date window that can be formatted in English or Spanish.
— A tasteful case diameter of 37mm.
— A good looking 18mm canvas strap. We would recommended picking up one or two alternatives from the guys at Crown And Buckle to keep the thing looking and feeling fresh. An Army green NATO would look especially sharp paired with this.
— A regular price of $195, it’s marked down 68%.
Sounds like a no brainer decision for people looking to pick up a solid timepiece on the cheap… Here are some photos from the guys at Worn & Wound that will probably convince you to click “add to cart” if you haven’t already.

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-10.55.57-AM-66
Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-10.55.52-AM-66
Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-10.55.36-AM-66
Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-10.56.04-AM-66

Source: http://airows.com/cool-automatic-watch-seiko-sale-just-59/

They have the Seiko 7S26 movement in. This dated back to the seventies and is fantastic movement, accurate, robust and easy to service. God for anywhere between 5-10 years. Problem being that it will cost you twice as much for a service than the watch cost.

Some will say "that's cool I will just bin it and buy another" but I tend to become attached to my watches ;)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with one of these.

Totally cool for the price and a lot of watch, even including lume. It´s all about having decent and working choices in the low-price segment and with the new rep-prices the choices available even a half Year ago are just getting too limited/inexistent, even at the double of this (plus expensive shipping).

The above is just $75, including shipment to Europe with DHL from Creation Watches, $70 is what some TDs want to charge just for tri-shipping.

They have the Seiko 7S26 movement in. This dated back to the seventies and is fantastic movement, accurate, robust and easy to service. God for anywhere between 5-10 years. Problem being that it will cost you twice as much for a service than the watch cost.

Some will say "that's cool I will just bin it and buy another" but I tend to become attached to my watches ;)

Anyway, you can't go wrong with one of these.

The alternative could be just buying a new watch and finding somewhat who could do a direct movement swap, or do it yourself. Same watch, different heart.

I wear my seiko 5 when I want a gen watch and my 1016 when I'm fine with a rep.

The 1016 is also a "small" watch which is, like the Seiko 5, really confortable to wear! I had a Tudor Ranger, I think it's the same size as the 1016 :)

The 1016 is also a "small" watch which is, like the Seiko 5, really confortable to wear! I had a Tudor Ranger, I think it's the same size as the 1016 :)

I love the smaller watches (1016 is 36mm and seiko 5 is 38mm) they fit easily under a cuff and can be worn subtly without looking flashy.

I love the smaller watches (1016 is 36mm and seiko 5 is 38mm) they fit easily under a cuff and can be worn subtly without looking flashy.

True but I also like wear a flashy watch for example a rose gold 44 Hublot Big Bang :p I only wear my S5 in the weekend, when I'm at home or just chilling or when I'm working late at home. It's just so confortable :)