When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

John Mayer's letter to IWC

dbane883

The author's premise that 'seemingly massive, distant watch companies' do not listen to us mere mortals is incorrect. At least, that has been my experience. I have had direct communication with the CEOs of both Rolex and Patek (Thierry Stern once sent me a very nice, hand-written apology letter for their delay in getting an item shipped to me in the time frame promised). Me thinks Meyer's letter is more self-marketing rather than an actual complaint. Either that, or he lacks the basic business/marketing skills and marketing acumen of a knowledgeable, long-time collector. I did like some of the pics though.

I'm not a fan of his at all, and his grammar/vocabulary could use a bit of work (e.g. "the materials and cosmetics"?), but I agree with many of the points he raises. Many recent releases from IWC (and as dbane notes, from other houses, too) are starting to resemble cheaper, showier, fashion watches.

Mayer is a exceptional guitar player, but his music is utter crap. He is an exceptional watch collector, but his opinion is obnoxious and corny, like his music.

He should stick to his goofy interviews and montana ranches. Way to go "Big Pilot", you actually douched up.

Agreed x1000

I'm not a fan of his at all, and his grammar/vocabulary could use a bit of work (e.g. "the materials and cosmetics"?), but I agree with many of the points he raises. Many recent releases from IWC (and as dbane notes, from other houses, too) are starting to resemble cheaper, showier, fashion watches.

Reason - Because Asian markets prefer that. And, for the past several years, the Swiss watch industry has been turning their marketing sights towards Asia & away from the West. But now that the economic state in the east is beginning to slump, I expect sanity will return to the Swiss watch industry & we will begin to see more small, understated watches.

Consequences of every once family owned brand being swallowed up by the Richemont (Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Panerai and Montblanc) and Swatch groups (Breguet/Blancpain/Glashütte/Omega/Longines/Rado/Tissot) and the remaining independents trying to catch up.

4me it was quite refreshing, to have a somewhat mediatized and well placed criticism instead of the usual glorification. Not a fan of his singing but I like

his more down-to earth or "innocent simple-guy approach" as a user to the watchworld. There are too many haughtious and over-snobbish persons

commenting in the haute horlogerie anyway.

Other things I don´t mind: his Ex-GF and his watches, real or rep..

He has bought many put together pieces of crap sold to him by a very "reputable"friend of VRF purest. They have taken advantage of him many times selling him frankins and charging him a premium. I need to find the post on VRF but if anyone remembers where it is is love to post it again. Very interesting for those purist snobs who believe everything their dealers tell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether you agree with his opinions or not, I appreciate the fact that he openly and constructively criticises IWC. No brand is perfect and it is refreshing to see someone not simply praising an iconic brand. It sparks debate, which can only be positive for IWC and should hopefully extend to other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the Richemont-Empire strikes back. This didn´t take long, to give back the criticism received:

An Open Letter To John Mayer, From IWC

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/an-open-letter-to-john-mayer-from-iwc

Edited by Nightwatch

Meyers does have some valid points.

IWCs reply does too, upto a point. They had to change to survive some time ago, but the modern dilution of the brand wasn't necessary to survive, but to expand to further profits for the shareholders.

They could have stayed true to their core values, not bought out the minor variations and current customers would probably be a lot happier (and still buying), but IDK how much that would affect their profits.

Is this current dilution a transitory phase? And once they have gone through it they'll have two ranges, the frequently changing range for the "stars" and fans who just want the name and don't give a fig about what's inside or IWCs history, and the original family of watches with tastefully done improvements to appeal to the old market? To do the latter they'll need a "cash cow" with would be the former, but they'll have to get to that position where they have those two ranges first.