When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Build Progress: Movement Discussion

droptopman

See, this is really where I personally waffle back and forth.  I look at your Big Gonzo build (before it was catapulted to the next level) and I would be totally happy with it as it was.  But I totally understand the difference between this initial level and where you have ended up with the finished result.

I would also be very happy with some of the incredible works of art that people have created using budget components, too.  Countless members here and on the other forums have built astounding 6200 and 6538 builds using Silix and Tiger Concept cases.  These are amazing builds, but obviously not gen spec and very budget oriented.

I am only speaking for myself, but part of me wants to have both.  I want the satisfaction of the tinkering part and building a budget build.  Something I can wear daily and tinker around with from time to time to continue to modify it.  I think this would be a 6200 for me.

I also want an heirloom piece with as many gen parts as physically possible.  5510 or 6538.  I want the satisfaction of sourcing the parts and knowing that I hunted it down and made it happen from the ground up.  I want the piece to be something I can wear proudly and wear it anywhere, because it is a gen franken.  Any watchsmith who is able to work on Rolex movements would be able to service it, too.  To me, this would be more satisfactory than just buying a vintage or modern fully assembled watch, due to unique history of it and the process that I went through to make it all happen.  There is a real story there.

Dbane, what are the specs on your amazing build there?  It is unbelievably stunning.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Mendota, I hear ya. I was lucky in that I knew there was a Voldemort dial coming sometime within 2 years. So I put together pieces that would take that dial, eventually, and built something I could love (but not respect) in the interim. There's the difference.

The MQ dialed version was good enough that walking Waikiki one evening I passed the Ferrari shop and next door is the huge Omega shop. One of the salesmen was just going in and saw me wearing something flashy so he held the door and basically dragged me in. We sat and admired PloProfs and POs and chatted about the coaxial movement and he finally said "is that a Big Crown you're wearing?" I smiled and handed it to him and he thoroughly checked it out. True, it was salty from a day in the ocean so he didn't try the crown. He called the rest of the guys over and they all passed it around, saying they hadn't seen a real one in years (little did they realize they still hadn't). They had the big pads out on the counter and the whole deal. They handed it back gently saying they couldn't believe I'd risk getting it wet, and I said "just because something gets old there's no reason for it to quit working right" and smoothed back my greying hair. They all had a big laugh and we parted friends.

They dragged me in so it wasn't technically a violation of forum rules, but the Daz modded MQ dial and hands was easily good enough for them to accept as gen.

4.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing. That is exactly what I want to pull off someday. Exactly to a T.

I thought I remembered seeing a recent thread in which you posted a bunch more pics of this beauty. Do you have a link to that thread by any chance? I can just search for it, too...

Here it is:

http://www.rwgforum.net/index.php?/topic/175498-6538-complete-%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E-almost

Nanuq, that is an awesome story. I love it. That is exactly the reason why if I try to attempt something of this magnitude, I do it right. It has to be like yours and dbane's, otherwise it's a replication. A rep serves a purpose too, but you would never have had that kind of bonding experience wearing a mere rep.

I view vintage auto restoration the same way as these vintage watch restoration projects. If someone pulls up outside a restaurant driving a Corvette Stingray, it is completely irrelevant whether they purchased it recently, if they are the original owner, or if they sourced every part and assembled it from the ground up. It is stunning and awesome regardless. Showing it at an auto show or selling it is different, and then provenance and full disclosure plays a vital role. A Stingray is a Stingray whether one part inside the engine compartment is an aftermarket part built to OEM specs or if it was original. Again, selling and showing bring those details out to the open but not for pure enjoyment.

Anyway, there is a wealth of knowledge here and this place is like a PhD program for vintage watch building!

Dbane, thanks for the link. I can't wait to drool over your piece.

• Like 1

Droptopman, where did you source your dial from?

From a member who had it made by the nameless one. Same as dbane's, Nanuq's and CC's just with the red depth rating. Got lucky that it became available. Was going to order one with the standard silver depth rating, but when this became available I got a nice vision of how this build could look with some red accents.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  Somehow I lost the little rubber o ring for the genuine crown and tube and I am not sure this is the correct winding step for the 8mm crown.  Outside of a service and those two parts, I think we have everything.  Getting very excited now  :clap2: